Want an EVSE Level 2 for home and on the road

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtondav

I find that most of the places I can charge my 2014 Leaf SV are camp grounds. They just have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The only exception within hundreds of miles from here is the Nissan dealer. They have a commercial unit with the cable.

So, I need to buy and install 240v Level 2 charging at my house. But, I also need a cable EVSE to plug into at the camp grounds.

So, if I have a 240v 50amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed in my garage, could I buy a Clipper Creek HCS-40P and use for home and at the camp grounds?

Thanks for the help!

That should work just fine. I have a Clipper Creek HCS-25P that I put a NEMA 14-50 plug onto. No problems at all.

I have an LCS-25P which is extremely portable, similar to the Level 1 EVSE that came with my car. I ordered it with the L6-30 plug and have an adapter for 14-50. I carry my Level 1 with me all the time and leave the Level 2 attached to the wall at home except for those times that I might have the need to charge Level 2 at a campground etc.

If I had a Leaf, I would have likely opted for the EVSEUpgrade to the stock Panasonic EVSE rather than buy the Clipper Creek unit.

You could save money and go with an OpenEVSE say from Glenn on here or build one. I had him change the plug to a 14-50 and I can take that with me. It is a very small box. I put in a 14-50 socket in the garage and mounted it for easy removal without any extra wear and tear.

burtondav said:
I find that most of the places I can charge my 2014 Leaf SV are camp grounds. They just have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The only exception within hundreds of miles from here is the Nissan dealer. They have a commercial unit with the cable.
Really? Have you checked Plugshare for J1772 level 2 stations? And, how about CHAdeMO DC FCs, assuming you got that port on your car?

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

BTW, you can also charge publicly at 120 volts L1, but it's slow and you may/may not if that outlet/circuit can handle a 12 amp continuous load.... And, you'll need to leave your L1 EVSE out...

What is the J1772 charging current limit on your Leaf? If you want a truly "portable" unit, it is important to get an EVSE that has a built-in universal AC input and an adjustable current limiter. I would add to this the importance of a LONG output cord (25') to plug in the SAE 1772 charge port connector. These pre-requisites tend to narrow your choices for a "portable" EVSE. At the high end of the price scale is the JESLA as one possible choice. However, it is rather pricey at $1000.

Two other choices are the Open EVSE and JuiceBox.

They will cut down on the expense by as much as half the price of a JESLA, but are generally purchased by "DIYers", and do not have UL approval. I believe you will find that most, if not all "portable" EVSEs tend not to have UL approval, especially those that you can build yourself. However, I know that the JB can be purchased completely pre-assembled from EMW for about $100 extra, and EMW claims they are working on UL approval.

The standard input cord on a JB is longer than most at 6' and comes standard with a plug for a NEMA 14-50R (RV Park) outlet. EMW also sells short (~12" long), adaptor cords for other types of AC outlets including 120V, as well as 240V. A popular adapter for 240V is one that plugs in to a NEMA 10-30R, electric drier outlet. The latter can be quite useful when "opportunity charging" at a friend or relatives house, which again stresses the importance of a portable EVSE that has an adjustable current limiter. The current limiter adjustment on a JB can be set at intervals of 1A, from 0 to 60A, and this adjustment can be made external to the enclosure with the wireless key fob option.

For more info on the JB, here is the link to EMW's online store.

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store

Back