West Coast LEAF Relay/Caravan Late Summer '11

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this idea, and would be happy to participate, with the caveat that my LEAF is scheduled for an August delivery.

I think the idea of splitting up the long haul into smaller group "owned" sections will lighten the logistical load. Magnetic signs can be made at Kinko's relatively inexpensively, and are easy to transfer. I bet Nissan/a Nissan dealer has a PR budget for this sort of thing. If we contact municipalities, businesses, etc. with enough lead time, it may be just the push they need to get their EVSE installed sooner rather than later.

Since one of the things we need to educate people about is just how many different ways to feed a LEAF, we can also look to home charging stations along the way. Seems to me there is a website/app where people share their EVSEs and accessible 110 & 220 outlets. They can be folded in as well, and may help to plug the "hole" as well as help folks understand that we're building community as well.

It makes good sense to schedule PR events along the way: dealers, picnics, etc. if we go with a regional model (above), then the folks in each region will know what works.

Caitilin
Cayenne Red, "Month of August"

And the whole AC issue is shaping up as a non-issue for the Pacific Northwest this year. :D

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_18181956?nclick_check=1
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OR_GREEN_HIGHWAY_CAR_CHARGING_OROL-
...GRANTS PASS, Ore.—A series of fast-charging stations for electric cars will be installed this year along Interstate 5 in Southern Oregon to become one of the first links in a Green Highway stretching down the West Coast from Canada to Mexico. The Oregon Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that AeroVironment, a Monrovia, Calif.-based manufacturer of unmanned aircraft and industrial charging stations for electric forklifts and aircraft tenders, has been chosen to build eight level-3 DC fast-charging stations between Eugene and the California border under a $700,000 federal stimulus grant...

AeroVironment Vice President Kristen Helsel says they hope to start building by the end of summer, and have the charging stations up and running before the end of December.

This whole relay event should be easier every year!

So, why in the hell is Oregon not having issues with DC Quick Charge stations like California is?? Grrrr...

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/news/show/oregon_department_of_transportation_selects_av_to_build_first_phase_of_west/
...AeroVironment, selected to provide charging stations for the Nissan LEAF and BMW ActiveE...
...The fast charging stations are CHAdeMO compliant...

Electric4Me said:
AeroVironment Vice President Kristen Helsel says they hope to start building by the end of summer, and have the charging stations up and running before the end of December.
...So, why in the hell is Oregon not having issues with DC Quick Charge stations like California is?? Grrrr...
Wait until they are actually installed. At this point the only thing we can say for certain is that Oregon has the same promises that California has/had.

davewill said:
Electric4Me said:
...So, why in the hell is Oregon not having issues with DC Quick Charge stations like California is?? Grrrr...
Wait until they are actually installed. At this point the only thing we can say for certain is that Oregon has the same promises that California has/had.
Except we've had a great, publicly accessible, DC Quick Charge station available since August 2010... :D

Approx how many Leafs are in service around Portland?
How many have been using that CHAdeMO?

Has anyone contacted Nissan's PR dept yet? Is there a west coast branch of Nissan USA? I think we'd better get started nailing some of this down if it's going to happen.

Anyone with connections to NIssan who would like to volunteer to contact them?

FYI, some "Plug-In-America people" suggested to NOT publicize this event. They thought it would emphasize the limitations of the Leaf (the need to stop every 100 miles) not the benefits of the car.

TEG said:
FYI, some "PIA people" suggested to NOT publicize this event. They thought it would emphasize the limitations of the Leaf (the need to stop every 100 miles) not the benefits of the car.

Here's the link to the minutes of the Bay Area group. They decided to do this only as a fun event and not publicize it widely because it might reflect badly on the LEAF's range. I'm not sure that I agree with that, but the Bay LEAFs made that decision.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3415&start=210

So gascant, are we still planning the event? If so, are we still planning to involve Nissan USA? If we involve Nissan, can we control the amount of publicity? Are the Bay LEAFs interested in Nissan involvement?

ACTranslation said:
Magnetic signs can be made at Kinko's relatively inexpensively, and are easy to transfer.
Don't forget that the doors and the hood are aluminum. The fenders and roof are steel. "Static cling" signage would be a good alternative, especially if the legs don't require highway speeds.

Re. the human baton" thing: I wonder how much the extra weight would affect range...

In any case: great idea, do it, and good luck!

UhClem said:
xtremeflyer said:
Start - Blaine, WA
Bellingham, WA - King Nissan
Burlington, WA - Karmart Nissan
Edmunds, WA - Campbell Nissan
I could do the first leg, I'm located in Bellingham. That is, if I get my car in time; I currently have "Month of August" :D

you can come to my home in Shoreline, the Nissan Dealer is just up the street, or I have an L2 charger here you can charge up for the ride back.

I'm happy to take it from Shoreline to the Olympia, I've already made that jaunt and know I can do it, no problem.

Maybe Daveinolympia can take it from there?

g

LindaK said:
Has anyone contacted Nissan's PR dept yet? Is there a west coast branch of Nissan USA? I think we'd better get started nailing some of this down if it's going to happen.

Anyone with connections to NIssan who would like to volunteer to contact them?

I know Tim Gallagher, Nissan's local PR guy, and can put some feelers out. But I'll be honest that he's only been marginally interested when I've contacted him in the past. I think I would have better luck with someone out of Franklin. David Reuter perhaps.

TEG said:
FYI, some "PIA people" suggested to NOT publicize this event. They thought it would emphasize the limitations of the Leaf (the need to stop every 100 miles) not the benefits of the car.
At first I thought you meant "Pain In the Ass people" but I realize now you mean "Plug In America people" at least I think that is what you mean :D

xtremeflyer said:
mossyleaf said:
Would love to have My Dealership as a "terminal" for one of the Branches.

The following Dealers make up my proposed route. If people have a recommendation for switching out a "bad" dealer for a "good" dealer, I'm all for that as well.

Start - Blaine, WA

Vancouver, WA - Alan Webb Nissan
Portland, OR - Rustom Nissan
Beaverton, OR - Beaverton Nissan
Salem, OR - Salem Nissan
Albany, OR - Withnell Nissan
Eugene, OR - Lithia Nissan
- 167 Mile "Hole"
Medford, OR - Lithia Nissan
- 150 Mile "Hole"

Finish - San Ysidro, CA

For the Oregon section, I suggest Wilsonville Nissan, just a few miles south of Portland.
They are on I-5, with easy and close access to the freeway. Joel Fowler would be the person to talk to.

Great idea. If I have my Leaf by the time this happens, then I'll try to participate. Any large gatherings of Leafs -- whether on the roads or at hand-off locations -- will draw a lot of attention and raise awareness. When people see many Leafs in the same place, it will help drive home the fact that EVs are real, are already here, and will become mainstream over time.

For the hand-off locations, I would recommend places with high visibility/traffic, easy access, and plenty of room/parking. Perhaps a small info booth / table with EV / Leaf handouts, etc. would help.

Back