West Coast LEAF Relay/Caravan Late Summer '11

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the group's thoughts about publicizing this or not?

One school of thought is that we don't want to raise the issue too visibly of the LEAF's limited range. Another school of thought is that we want all the visibility we can get for this amazing, highly capable first mass market EV.

Should we do this as a fun run, or perhaps only shorter relays among members of regional groups, or are we sticking with a long range relay? If a long range relay, is this really "just for us", like a club event, or do we want a bit of publicity and fanfare around it?

Do we involve Nissan, and thereby perhaps allow Nissan to publicize this at a higher level than we are comfortable with, or by involving Nissan do we gain from their considerable marketing experience to help us decide whether or not the time is right to publicize a trip like this?

So let's discuss what we think about these things and maybe try to achieve a consensus before we sink much further effort into the planning.

My opinion is that we try to make it a distance relay and that publicity is a good thing. And I'd be open to involving Nissan if they are interested. Everyone who is at all interested in getting an EV knows that the range is currently limited, especially freeway range, and we've made no secret here about the kind of range numbers we've been seeing. As early adopters, we can give potential new owners a clearer idea of what they can expect in freeway driving.

I think that a distance relay is a fun and interesting idea for a lot of people and it would be great to track the progress on this forum, as well as on facebook, Twitter, etc.

Boomer23 said:
My opinion is that we try to make it a distance relay and that publicity is a good thing. And I'd be open to involving Nissan if they are interested. Everyone who is at all interested in getting an EV knows that the range is currently limited, especially freeway range, and we've made no secret here about the kind of range numbers we've been seeing. As early adopters, we can give potential new owners a clearer idea of what they can expect in freeway driving.
I agree.

I think it is important that the general population knows the "truth" about EVs - that includes how fun & practical the car is for all of us, but what the current limitations are as well.

Ideally we do this once the L3 chargers along I-5 is setup. But that is taking its own sweet time ...

If this event happens, the press will pick up on it. There is no way to hide the event as a MNL only "just for fun" thing. You might as well have a reporter who know what the heck he/she is talking about do a story, that way all the other reporters can do their usual copy and paste from a good piece of source material.

aqn said:
I'm pretty sure the rear hatch is non-magnetic. I tested it.
mwalsh said:
Sorry, definitely steel. And just to be completely certain, I went out and re-tested too. ;)
You're right, it's steel. I'm going senile!

When I checked last night, the piece of magnetic sign material that I used definitely did not stick to the hatch. I tried several times. It just slid right off; that's kinda hard to miss! It did stick effortlessly to the fenders and roof.

When I saw your post today, I thought maybe whatever magnet you used was sticking to something under the hatch's skin and not the hatch skin itself. I thought maybe the "magnet" I used is too small (1"x1.5") to grab onto whatever it is under the hatch's skin that your magnet is grabbing on to.

Just now, I try using a large magnetic number (about 6"x8"): it does stick to the hatch! So I try using my little piece again: it also sticks! What the...

Publicity for the Leaf is all good. Go with it (don't have my Leaf yet - next week?)

Have you seen this?

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/02/video-dutch-duo-drives-nissan-leaf-779-2-miles-in-24-hours/

I started looking into RV parks along the route between Eugene OR and Redding, CA. Especially in this section there are alot of mountain grades so I tried to find them about 30-40 miles apart. Some of them advertised as "green" businesses.

Rv parks along the route. Mile Marker
Sutherlin, Or (136)
Hi Way Haven.
http://www.hiwayhaven.com/

Roseburg, OR (124)
Rising River RV Park:
http://www.risingriverrv.com/

Myrtle Creek, Or (108)
Rivers West RV Park
333 Ruckles Dr
Myrtle Creek, OR 97457
(888) 863-7602

Canyonville, OR (99)
Seven Feathers RV Resort
http://www.sevenfeathersrvresort.com/amenities.html

Grants Pass, Or (58)
Rogue Valley Overniters.
http://www.roguevalleyoverniters.com/

GoldHill Or
KOA Campground (40)
12297 Blackwell Rd
Central Point, OR 97502
(800) 562-7608
Email Address

Yreka, CA
Waiiaka Trailer Have (773)
240 Sharps Rd
Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 842-4500

Weed, CA (745)
Friendly RV Park
http://www.friendlyrvpark.com/

Lakehead, CA (702)
Doney Creek Lakeshore Villa
20672 Lakeshore Dr
Lakehead, CA 96051
(530) 238-8688
Email Address

Redding, CA
Mountain Gate RV Park
http://www.mt-gatervpark.com/

Sure it’ll be fun, but let’s get a two-for-one… I’m in favor of publicizing it. Picture this on TV news, papers, and on-line coverage: long caravans of Leafs cruising on the freeway and gathering at the hand-off spots. That would make quite an impression on the general public when they see EVs are real and the owners like the EVs so much they organized this event to celebrate!

having control of the message is important if you want to avoid bad publicity. Maybe framing it as a milestone for a car which was only designed to meet the needs of the average suburbanite. I can't think of anything catchy, but framing expectations is everything. This car does exactly what it's designed to do and really should be celebrated for that and not expected to compare to the long range of an ICE. One things for sure, you don't want the press waiting around 8 hours while the car is charging up for then next 70-100 stretch.

there are folks who don't want this vehicle or any other EV to succeed.

Maybe it's best to document it, do some nice video and alert the press only as the relay makes it to southern CA so they can come and catch the finish line, and then hand over some of the video for a nice little PR piece.

g

GaslessInSeattle said:
Maybe it's best to document it, do some nice video and alert the press only as the relay makes it to southern CA so they can come and catch the finish line, and then hand over some of the video for a nice little PR piece.

g

You don't think than anybody from the press has read this thread? No way to plan this without it getting out ahead of time.

Once all the logistics/discussions are done, let me know if you need funding for car magnets or static clings for the windows etc. I'll contact some of the forum sponsors and see if I can't come up with something.

I think at this point, maybe the BayLEAFS do their run their short non-press run this summer for fun and then once the quick chargers in Oregon are up and running, maybe we try the full run with press?

xtremeflyer said:
I think at this point, maybe the BayLEAFS do their run their short non-press run this summer for fun and then once the quick chargers in Oregon are up and running, maybe we try the full run with press?

I wonder if Nissan or anyone is trying to coordinate QC placement at least every 70 miles from border to border along I-5. It would certainly be impressive to do the relay to demonstrate the network once it is in place and it would also provide a fast way for each leg of the Relay to make it back home. One can dream! :p

g

GaslessInSeattle said:
I wonder if Nissan or anyone is trying to coordinate QC placement at least every 70 miles from border to border along I-5. It would certainly be impressive to do the relay to demonstrate the network once it is in place and it would also provide a fast way for each leg of the Relay to make it back home. One can dream! :p

g

I think that West Coast Green Highway is the project you're talking about. It's not clear on scanning this site whether they are thinking of Quick Charge or L2 or a combination of the above. http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/

Boomer23 said:
It's not clear on scanning this site whether they are thinking of Quick Charge or L2 or a combination of the above. http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/
Seems to be L2 to start, Some amount of QC/L3 (I assume CHAdeMO, but...) later.
http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/electrichighways.htm
What is the project timeline?
Stage I

Level-2 "medium-speed" chargers will be installed at Washington's Gateway safety rest areas for public education and outreach. The public will be able to charge up at these locations starting in early 2011:

Gee Creek Rest Area--first point of entry from Oregon, located on I-5 Northbound in the Vancouver area.
Custer Rest Area--first point of entry from Canada, located on I-5 Southbound in the Blaine area.

Stage II

Level-3 “fast charge” stations will be developed through public/private partnerships with private firms. The exact location of these fast-charge stations will depend upon the private partner’s retail location.

Spring 2011: Select contractor and identify charging locations
Summer 2011: Install quick-charge stations

Now that I have my Leaf, I am very interested in participating in the Aug time frame, if you are willing to bend the route a little eastward before heading south from LA. I live in Claremont, east of LA. I could begin a leg at the SCE CTAC, which has 8 Chargepoint stations. It is only 1/4 mile off the I-210, near the I-210/I-605 intersection. I could drive south on I-605 from there.

Funny story. I got some very nice parking side protectors for my Leaf. They are held on with non-scuff coated magnets. It wasn't until I tried to put one on and it fell right off that I discovered that the doors on the Leaf are aluminum to save weight!

wxxyz said:
Once all the logistics/discussions are done, let me know if you need funding for car magnets or static clings for the windows etc. I'll contact some of the forum sponsors and see if I can't come up with something.

Hi all,
Looks like this idea is loosing steam. Do we not have one person who can step forward and put in the energy to pull this together? I wish I could do it, but for a variety of reasons, can't take it on. We need a spreadsheet with charge stations meeting points, mileages between stops, and sign-ups for section drivers and back-up (or duplicate!) drivers.

Anybody?

I did a test run on my leg of the relay:

About 90% battery use for Santa Maria to Goleta (or return) over 101 @ 60mph on ECO and No A/C (67 miles)

Running the A/C or driving 70mph would probable turtle the LEAF on this route. Another option is to take
the 154 highway. I will give that a try another day.

Back