What does the heat pump look like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveizdum

Can someone please explain to me where the heat pump is located and what it looks like in a 2015 Leaf? I'm new to EVs and I'm trying to understand everything I see under the hood. I want to physically look at/touch the heat pump.

If it's not under the hood, please help me understand where to find it.

Thank you.

Thanks for the responses. It turns out I was looking for a non-existent heat pump, because the wrong car was shipped to me. But I'll put your information to use this week when the correct car arrives. Thanks again!

I no longer have a Leaf but the 1st pic w/the red box at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=31159 includes the reversing valve (the black object w/a white label on the front). 2nd pic at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32012 has a better view of the reversing valve.

It is pretty funny to run the heater on a hybrid heat pump-equipped Leaf. Turn the heat to max and you'll feel the warm air come out the vents but when you open the hood, you'll notice the radiator fan is running but cool air is being pulled into the "engine" compartment.

With heat pump:
V4BjdMk.png

Without heat pump:
gDbNRMf.png

cwerdna said:
It is pretty funny to run the heater on a hybrid heat pump-equipped Leaf. Turn the heat to max and you'll feel the warm air come out the vents but when you open the hood, you'll notice the radiator fan is running but cool air is being pulled into the "engine" compartment.
Yup, you gotta love Physics! :D

In the summer, heat is moved from the cabin to the radiator where it blows hot air, in the winter time heat is moved from the radiator back into the cabin where the radiator blows freezing air.

I just wanted to say thanks again for the helpful descriptions and photos. My 2015 Leaf SL arrived today and, with your help, I was able to easily find the Denso reversing valve, trace the inputs and outputs, and get a better understanding of how the heat pump works.

As some of you commented, it’s amusing that “heat pump” is really just a fancy way of saying it’s an air conditioner for cooling the outdoors.

Back