What experiments for today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:

So if a truck is going 55mph in the hwy, do people slam into them all the time?, some of the time?.. never?

http://www.drive55.org/
------------------------------------------------------

+1 on the drive 55.

People in the SF Bay Area drive like maniacs here and lowering the speed limit to 55mph would be a step in the right direction.

Could you run 80 mph far enough to get some idea on "highway" range? I'm into the 4-7 month que and the first 10 miles of my daily trek to work is an 82 mph flat straight hold your place in line or get off the street spot. I will charge at work and the total distance is short, but I'm curious to know what the range of the car is at its upper limit...

mwalsh said:
Leon said:
Could you run 80 mph far enough to get some idea on "highway" range?

Sorry, can't oblige you on that one.
I would like to know at 65 or 70 how far you can drive. I have about 70 mile of that and 6 miles of 45 for a total of 76 RT to work.

Leon said:
Could you run 80 mph far enough to get some idea on "highway" range? I'm into the 4-7 month que and the first 10 miles of my daily trek to work is an 82 mph flat straight hold your place in line or get off the street spot. I will charge at work and the total distance is short, but I'm curious to know what the range of the car is at its upper limit...
You have to drive at 82 mph ? Which place is this ...

evnow said:
You have to drive at 82 mph ? Which place is this ...
No kidding - in AZ 85+ is a criminal offense. Maybe we're talking about kilometers per hour (51) ;)

OK, at this point I have to say something: Going beyond the maximum rated pressure of the tire as indicated on the sidewall is both dangerous and fool-hearty! Anyone who does this is risking a serious tire failure and anyone who recommends it to someone else is risking that person's life. Don't do it!

Herm said:
My request is to pump up the tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall, second request is then to go past that by 10psi.

Yes. 82mph. In Colorado, if you can't muster 80, you better just stay on the porch... No worries though. I'll post it after they sell me a car... Sigh.... 4-7 months.... Maybe they will still make that schedule. I'm not real optimistic.

Today's Experiment: Drive Better
Posting a little experiment for today. Sorry mwalsh if I am hijacking your thread, but thought the topic wurkd...
I have been driving 'poor economy' for the first couple days of ownership - mostly seeing what it would do for acceleration from a full stop, from 20-30mph, 30-40mph, etc..., and I have been quite pleased. I was surprised there was still a good pick-up in acceleration after I was already going 40-50mph. I expected it to be a bit more sluggish.

So, needless to say, my driving history has told the car I don't have great range. 100% charge this morning said 74 mile range with climate control, 83 without. I decided to drive as 'eco' as I could, without actually using the eco mode on the car. By the time I arrived at work with a 7 mile commute via the post office, using climate control about 70% of the time (it was 39F this morning - preheated but needed defrost), the range is now 94 miles :shock:
soc_012111_0730.jpg

soc_012111_0800.jpg

My suggested experiment relates to charging strategy and the battery capacity bars (not the SOC bars) for different temperatures. It may apply more to Leaf owners living where overnight temperatures are lower than mwalsh gets, so I hope other owners are reading this.

The "Joining 80% Club" thread pg 5

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2265&hilit=joining+club&start=40

includes discussion how the battery capacity falls with lower temperatures. The number of SOC bars can actually go up just with a drop in temperature without any more charge, because the same energy is sitting in a battery that can hold less. This would seem to imply that charging to 100% when the battery is warm, right after getting home in the afternoon from a drive, would not be wise if during the night the battery gets much colder. Under this scenario the battery charge could exceed 100% during the night, which might be stressful for it.

Conversely, if the car shuts down its charging at 100% SOC late at night when it is cold, you will have less kwh in the tank than you expect. Temperature variation from night-to-night could explain some of mwalsh's early variation of measured kwh charged vs range the next day.

So how cold must it be to lose one bar of capacity, or see one bar rise in SOC ? Has anyone seen this ?

Here is my suggestion for an optimal charging strategy during cold night-time periods. It requires extra effort, so I am not suggesting one do this on a daily basis, but only when you are planning an extra long drive the next day. Program the overnight charge to 80%, or 90% using timing. In the morning, well before you leave, warm the car with some pre-heating and then top-off the charge. You should be rewarded with more total kwh delivered to the battery and longer actual range.

Back