What if you want L2 and your home's not wired for 220?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volusiano said:
Phil, do you think you can build and sell a similar device to the Quick220 that contains all the same safety features the Quick220 has (see below) for much less than the $185 it's being sold for? And also with an LED light that to indicate that the 2 120V receptacles are from separate circuits?

If so, you should build and offer it as an option on your web page as well.

"Patented safety circuit checks and automatically locks out power circuits until connections and voltages are correct.

Interlock immediately and simultaneously electrically disconnects all input and output power lines if one of the 110/120 volt cords becomes disconnected or looses power."
I was thinking about this last night and it seems to me that something could easily be built that does both input and output interlocking with four relays, two 120 volt relays and two 240 volt relays, all SPST. Maybe I was overthinking it, but I think the cost to built it would be right around $60.

DarkStar said:
Volusiano said:
Phil, do you think you can build and sell a similar device to the Quick220 that contains all the same safety features the Quick220 has (see below) for much less than the $185 it's being sold for? And also with an LED light that to indicate that the 2 120V receptacles are from separate circuits?

If so, you should build and offer it as an option on your web page as well.

"Patented safety circuit checks and automatically locks out power circuits until connections and voltages are correct.

Interlock immediately and simultaneously electrically disconnects all input and output power lines if one of the 110/120 volt cords becomes disconnected or looses power."
I was thinking about this last night and it seems to me that something could easily be built that does both input and output interlocking with four relays, two 120 volt relays and two 240 volt relays, all SPST. Maybe I was overthinking it, but I think the cost to built it would be right around $60.

I think you only need two 120v coil SPST relays. What are you using the other 2 for?

-Phil

Ingineer said:
DarkStar said:

I think you only need two 120v coil SPST relays. What are you using the other 2 for?
The Quick 220 prevents any voltage from being present on the output plug until both 120 volt cables are plugged in. The only way I could figure to do that would be to add the two 240 volt SPST realys, but maybe that's a bit overboard... :D

DarkStar said:
Ingineer said:
DarkStar said:

The Quick 220 prevents any voltage from being present on the output plug until both 120 volt cables are plugged in. The only way I could figure to do that would be to add the two 240 volt SPST realys, but maybe that's a bit overboard... :D

The safest way is by using two 120v Relays, one coil across each 120v input (line/hot + neutral), then the SPST contacts enable "hot" to it's side of the L6-20. This will cover all bases.

-Phil

Sounds like a reasonable "safer" design to me.

As a minor variation, using two-pole relays instead of single pole, you could keep the 240v output (the load, the EVSE) from being hot until BOTH 120v input conditions were met.

Has anybody identified appropriate 120v AC relays (possibly with 20 amp contacts)?

I found SPST for $15 and SPDT for $10, but they typically consume 4 watts each when ON.

garygid said:
Sounds like a reasonable "safer" design to me.

As a minor variation, using two-pole relays instead of single pole, you could keep the 240v output (the load, the EVSE) from being hot until BOTH 120v input conditions were met.

Has anybody identified appropriate 120v AC relays (possibly with 20 amp contacts)?

I found SPST for $15 and SPDT for $10, but they typically consume 4 watts each when ON.

The 240v load is not connected until both input connections are made anyway, keep in mind the EVSE (or anything else plugged into an L6-20) doesn't use neutral.

-Phil

Back