What is your policy on test drives?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulScott said:
As a LEAF salesman, I've been letting my customers drive mine since January. It's been a great sales tool for sure, and helped me become the leading LEAF salesman in the country. I have relocated to Nissan of Downtown LA from Santa Monica where we had a natural affiliation for alt fuel cars, to more of a questioning group. Still, when they drive the car, it's game over, they want it. I've had many types in the car, from Ferrari drivers to ex-EV1 drivers, to some youngster who turned out to be on drugs. I stopped the last one very quickly after a couple of strange turns. The Ferrari driver drove it hard, but he knew what he was doing. In the end, I'm generally comfortable letting most anyone drive it, but I do check their pupils for dilation now.

Paul,
Congrats on being the Leading LEAF salesman in the country. The more EV's we have on the road the better off we all are.

Who do you think is going to be the first dealership to install an L3 quick charge station ?

KJD

Yes, there is no better way to sell the Leaf than to let 'em behind the wheel!

I have given countless drives, and showed off the charging port way more times than I've ever plugged in!

-Phil

I have only had my car for less than a month, but I have given lots of test drives in that short time.

My basic rule is if they have enough guts to ask to drive, I will let them drive.

The gear heads are the ones that are most impressed with driving this car. I think that says something about the LEAF :)

KJD

I find people don't mind having ME drive - and they LIKE it . . . but on the several times I've offered others ... even insisting? "OH no no no no no - don't wana"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuN-tFvgRc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D

Boomer23 said:
One of my favorite test drives was the young guy who works for Mitsubishi. After I finished my quick charge with their CHAdeMO charger at their Cypress headquarters, it was suggested that one of the Mitsubishi guys would like a ride.

Where is the L3 charger located at the 6400 West Katella Avenue Cypress complex? And is it open for public use?

GPowers said:
Boomer23 said:
One of my favorite test drives was the young guy who works for Mitsubishi. After I finished my quick charge with their CHAdeMO charger at their Cypress headquarters, it was suggested that one of the Mitsubishi guys would like a ride.

Where is the L3 charger located at the 6400 West Katella Avenue Cypress complex? And is it open for public use?

It's in the main parking area behind the main building, under the solar roofed cover. There's a J1772 and a 110 volt plug there too, in case anyone wants to stop there.

The CHAdeMO charger is locked and you have to enter the building and ask for someone to unlock it for your use. We were told that the charging plug handle had broken recently and that the charger was out of service. No recent updates of that information, and our main contact changed jobs, so not positive of the status at this time.

Boomer23 said:
It's in the main parking area behind the main building, under the solar roofed cover. There's a J1772 and a 110 volt plug there too, in case anyone wants to stop there.

The CHAdeMO charger is locked and you have to enter the building and ask for someone to unlock it for your use. We were told that the charging plug handle had broken recently and that the charger was out of service. No recent updates of that information, and our main contact changed jobs, so not positive of the status at this time.

Must be too new for the Google map photo to have captured the charger as i do not see any solar panels south of the main building? Or is this not the correct building?

mitsu_L3.JPG

I have let over two dozen neighbors, co-workers, family members and friends drive my LEAF. I have never had so many people ask to drive a car in my life, and I've been more than happy to oblige. I don't think you get the full experience sitting in the passenger seat, so I've always encouraged them to get behind the wheel. Most all were pretty amazed with the car and the experience.

Since I have the only EV within 90 miles, yes I will let people drive it. One of the reasons I have the car is to "EVangelize" for EVs. Had a friend drive it yesterday, she was impressed.

I find that the LEAF climbs hills effortlessly so I am trying to pick test drive routes with steep grades. Since there is little traffic around here (only one stoplight in my county) I'm not too worried about collisions. Except that I won't allow test drives at "deer-o'clock" in deer, elk, or bighorn sheep zones.

CWO4Mann said:
OhmPah said:
I let my nephew, who only had a learner's permit in another state, drive it. He was careful and I think it made is day to think that I trusted him with the car.

Letting someone else touch my tuba is an entirely different thing. The rule in the house is that nothing gets set on top of it and nobody moves it but me.

ah! a Tuba. Do you perhaps also have an Eb contrabass sarrusophone hanging around also?

Dave

No sarrusophones, Eb or otherwise. I do have a double-bell euphonium though. But my main horn is a Miraphone 191. Unfortunately the big tuba does not fit in the Leaf's trunk. I have to put the seats down or set it in the back seat.

Dave

Anyone who is interested enough to want to drive the car gets to drive it -- with me in the passenger seat always.

Most folks would rather ride in it than drive it, but when they get behind the wheel and I tell them it's OK to push the accellerator all the way to the floor, every single one of them has been amazed at the acceleration. After that, we get to talk about the techie bits of the car, etc.

Always good fun.

Cheers/73 Bert/kg4bec

Back