Wheel lock , where is the lug nut key????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was delivered with locking nuts. About a week later I got a call from the salesman saying, "I have your wheel lock key" and offering to deliver it to me or have me stop by to pick it up. I picked up the lug key and 4 regular lug nuts in a sealed bag. It seems that when they prep the car, they install them and are supposed to leave the bag with the key and regular nuts in the glove box.

kubel said:
Wheel locks don't work. All you need is a 12 point socket that just small enough to get caught when trying to put it over the lock, hammer it on until it's snug, and then break it free. :ugeek:
Oh yeah, don't forget about the liquid nitrogen approach. :/

Have you actually tried the "hammer on a socket" approach? I am a tad skeptical, because 1. I have seen this "method" mentioned numerous times without anybody actually having seen it done, and 2. having manually loosened 80 ft-lbs lug bolts approximately 5000 times (that's three zeros) over the years, and torquing them to 80 ft-lbs about as many times, I am quite familiar with the torque involved, and I have a hard time imagining getting anything stuck good enough on the round perimeter of a wheel lock to be able to loosen the lock against 80 ft-lbs.

I have used the socket hammered on plenty of times. When a customer needs a tire and has no key we would do this procedure in the shop. Even put the lug back on same way :cool: We were the best hammer mechanics in the business :lol: BTW I would use a six point impact socket and 3 pound sledge and hit it with the gun.

smkettner said:
I have used the socket hammered on plenty of times. When a customer needs a tire and has no key we would do this procedure in the shop. Even put the lug back on same way :cool: We were the best hammer mechanics in the business :lol: BTW I would use a six point impact socket and 3 pound sledge and hit it with the gun.
Well, now I know.

I really like to know if anybody has succeeded doing this on a stock LEAF wheel! I would be extremely impressed.

aqn said:
smkettner said:
Well, now I know.

I really like to know if anybody has succeeded doing this on a stock LEAF wheel! I would be extremely impressed.

I have done this as well and my Mechanic buddy does this approach. its difficult and the last time I was helping him we could not get the socket off the lug, but it was trash anyway. Not the best approach and takes some time. but it does work. the best wheel lock spin until the key is engaged , I think Gorilla locks make them. you must have a key or cutting torch.

TomT said:
I guess a better question is, who would steal a stock Leaf wheel and tire anyway?! :lol:

That was my initial thought when I went to rotate the wheels. not the best stock looking wheel , limit volts so no big demand. but the Nissan dealership is giving way these wheel locks. ( sad part is without keys) :D

smkettner said:

Don't know if they still do, but they used to sell a special tool to remove wheel locks. It was basically just a socket that had sharp points inside, I think it was slightly tapered. Haven't used it on the Leaf, but it did work on other cars.
When I bought my Leaf I was reviewing the contract and noticed they automatically charged me for wheel locks. They told me they were already "installed". I told them to remove them. A few minutes later they came back and said they were going to include them for "free". Never did get my 4 nonlocking lugs from them.

DTB said:
smkettner said:
Don't know if they still do, but they used to sell a special tool to remove wheel locks. It was basically just a socket that had sharp points inside, I think it was slightly tapered. Haven't used it on the Leaf, but it did work on other cars.
They still have 'em. They're sold as sockets to remove stripped nuts and bolts:

IRW-53904-2.jpg

=Smidge=

TomT said:
I guess a better question is, who would steal a stock Leaf wheel and tire anyway?! :lol:
mksE55 said:
That was my initial thought when I went to rotate the wheels.
That's what I used to think back before, say, 1990 or so. Until one night I found one wheel stolen off of my 7-year old Rabbit GTI. It was the one wheel on the car without a wheel lock at the time. And it wasn't even the OEM wheel but rather a cheap made-in-Brazil knock-off. I no longer underestimate the desperation of a drug addict. It depends on where you park your LEAF.

I had not really noticed until the tire rotation; mine was delivered with locks and the key was in the tire repair kit bag.

Back