Which is a better deal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WantALeaf2

I am in PA. I was offered the following lease term

2013 S model, 24 month, 15k mile/ year, $2k down, $199/month
2013 SL model, 24 month, 15k mile/year, $2k down, $259/month

Which one is the better deal? I can live with either model, just want to figure out which is the best deal. Thanks!

Depends on your commute and driving distance/style. In PA you'll probably want the less-energy hogging heater that is on the SL. However, if you have a short commute (<20 mi), then either will work fine. I prefer the higher end models myself, but if you don't have a smart phone, use carwings for charging/pre-heating, etc., then the cheaper S is certainly the better way to go. It is nice to warm up the car from the office via the internet. I use cruise control all the time, even in the city, to keep me from speeding (EVs are sooooo quiet it's hard to keep the speed down) and I don't think it's offered on the S.

Thank you for your reply! The commute is 25 mile each way. I usually underutilize car features, just stick with some very basic functions.

So just purely from features vs money aspect, is upgrading from S to SL for extra $60 a month a good deal ?

Ask what an SV would lease for, it should be in-between. That has the heat pump, but not all the frou-frou features of the SL (more than the S, though). I'd definitely go for the SV or SL in Pa. with your commute, unless you can charge at work. The heat pump will help your range in spring and fall, and on all but frigid days in winter. I'd personally prefer the simpler HVAC controls on the S, if you could get it with the heat pump (and cruise control).

GRA said:
Ask what an SV would lease for, it should be in-between. That has the heat pump, but not all the frou-frou features of the SL (more than the S, though). I'd definitely go for the SV or SL in Pa. with your commute, unless you can charge at work. The heat pump will help your range in spring and fall, and on all but frigid days in winter. I'd personally prefer the simpler HVAC controls on the S, if you could get it with the heat pump (and cruise control).

Thank you for your reply! Didn't put much thought into the heat pump vs resistance thing, I am glad you brought it up. You think in the cold winter, a S, without heat pump, may not make the 50 RT with one charging session?

We have the S, and are very happy with it - but we have the charging package. Personally I would not get an S without the upgraded charging package.

WantALeaf2 said:
Thank you for your reply! Didn't put much thought into the heat pump vs resistance thing, I am glad you brought it up. You think in the cold winter, a S, without heat pump, may not make the 50 RT with one charging session?
Fifty miles in snow and cold on a single charge with the heater running could be a problem. Some options: take another car when the weather is going to be bad or stop for some extra charge if it looks like the range is going to be limiting.

Bear in mind that as the battery degrades the range will decrease somewhat so a trip you would make this winter might be a bit more difficult a year later. But you shouldn't have too much battery degradation over a 24 month lease.

There are a lot of variables that determine whether or not a LEAF can make a trip: ambient temperature, temperature of the battery, road conditions (dry, snow, wet), wind, hills, heater use, and speed. The easiest way to stretch the range is to slow down, assuming that it is safe to do so on the route. Fifty miles on dry pavement at 20ºF ought to be fairly easy. In a snowstorm? Hard to say. The slower speeds when driving in snow will help but pushing through snow takes more energy. If you have public charging stations available, you can use those if you become concerned about making it home. Most of the time it won't be an issue. But do keep a "plan B" in mind if the weather turns bad.

WantALeaf2 said:
Any one has any opinion?

well I think you answered your own question. the ONLY reason for the difference in price is the features. if the features dont matter, then not sure why you are asking the question.

I would get quick charge as a future hedge against the possible install of some in your area. The option is a great time saver for those unexpected needs that will pop up in your life.

WantALeaf2 said:
I am in PA. I was offered the following lease term

2013 S model, 24 month, 15k mile/ year, $2k down, $199/month
2013 SL model, 24 month, 15k mile/year, $2k down, $259/month

Which one is the better deal? I can live with either model, just want to figure out which is the best deal. Thanks!
Depends on the value you place on the extra features.

I think heatpump & telematics (ability to control heating, charging of your car thr' a smart phone/PC) are very useful. They also kind of set the EV apart from ICE cars.

I think you should look at SV with the useful options - that will probably get you a better control over features you value.

DaveinOlyWA said:
WantALeaf2 said:
Any one has any opinion?

I would get quick charge as a future hedge against the possible install of some in your area. The option is a great time saver for those unexpected needs that will pop up in your life.

Not only that, but I believe that without the charging package the S only has the old 3.3kw charger. You definitely want the 6.6kw if you can.

fatveg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
WantALeaf2 said:
Any one has any opinion?

Not only that, but I believe that without the charging package the S only has the old 3.3kw charger. You definitely want the 6.6kw if you can.
It's true that the base S comes with the 3.3 kW charger,with the 6.0 kW charger and QC as an option. If the car is primarily going to be used for commuting, the 3.3 isn't necessarily a problem. It's for spontaneous trips or trips away from home where the faster on-board charger and/or the QC make the biggest difference.

On the S, the QC and 6.0kW charger are a $1,300 option. The SV comes with the 6.0 kW charger, and QC + LED lights/automatic headlights/foglights is a $1630 option.

I'm a simple sort of guy myself. Like GRA I prefer the simple dials for the climate control. Also the same for the audio controls. I would hate to have leather seats. It's been many years since I lived anywhere that had a real winter, but some folks on this board seem to be willing to bundle up and use the heated seats and heated steering wheel to overcome the mileage loss from the resistive heater. I do miss the Cruise Control, and I did get the charging package, which would raise the price. But on the whole I'm quite happy with my new S.

Ray

Back