Why are there no L3 DC charging stations in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Lencho said:
New Leaf owner, 1st week. I looked up charging stations in Denver and Boulder, all L2. There are no L3 DC charging stations in CO. So the Quick Charge port is useless right now. The L2 stations only add about 3 to 4 miles of range per 30 min, not practical unless you happen to work a Walgreens or Nissan dealership or next door to one.

Why do the Nissan dealers only have L2 chargers? If they really wanted to support the Leaf owners they should have L3 chargers, for pay not free. The Nissan corp should work out a deal with one of the L3 network providers like Chargepoint, Blink or EVgo to get them installed at the dealerships. This could be a dealership revenue stream.

FYI Tesla also does not have any L3 Supercharger stations in Denver metro or Boulder. They have one in Summit Co and Glenwood, I guess they felt the need to support the Aspen to DIA commute?

they need the L2's to charge their dealer stock. lately Nissan has had a flurry of installs in Western WA and it would appear its semi based on sales volume. This area ranks anywhere from #1 to 3 generally in sales and most of the higher volume dealers have had one installed, about 4 VERY recently

So, guessing your dealers are not selling enough maybe? either way, i posted in another thread that Nissan did ZERO publicity on these recent installs so you might want to take another survey of dealers in the area

I think that this post is pretty old. :)

I actually drove by Boulder Nissan today and noticed that they have installed their L3 QC on the pad... the charger itself is still wrapped in plastic, but I think we are close to being able to announce another one. :)

yep. Nissan doing the big year end push to get them in the ground. a lot feel that its for tax purposes. I personally think its for its response to Tesla's statement "in 2013 we installed X chargers..."

DaveinOlyWA said:
yep. Nissan doing the big year end push to get them in the ground. a lot feel that its for tax purposes. I personally think its for its response to Tesla's statement "in 2013 we installed X chargers..."

I'm sure that's the root reason, but 30% tax credit is pretty lucrative.

Whatever the reason, I'm just glad that they are. It shows that Nissan is committed (with more than just words) to EV's, and is trying to alleviate range anxiety.

Boulder Nissan has their CHAdeMO operational as of yesterday morning. I also hear that several dealerships along the front range will be getting them soon or already have them operational: Tynan's in Aurora and Ft. Collins (they show on PlugShare), as well as on 104th (word of mouth from Nigel at Boulder Nissan). I've personally verified functionality of the Boulder Nissan QC. All I can say is: it's about time!

I visited the Centennial, CO location this evening and they are installing a L3 charging station, it currently taped off but I talked to one of the salespersons that confirmed it was a L3.

manitou820 said:
Where in Centennial?

AutoNation Nissan Arapahoe
10030 E Arapahoe Rd, Centennial, CO 80112

I went there on Friday (purchased a 2013 S) and the tape was removed but still not working yet. I'm going tomorrow night and will update if it's working then.

aldarondo said:
manitou820 said:
Where in Centennial?

I went there on Friday (purchased a 2013 S) and the tape was removed but still not working yet. I'm going tomorrow night and will update if it's working then.

It was turned on on 1/23/2014, I used it on 1/24 and the manager there said that it is free for 90 days but at that point Nissan, the local dealer, and the distributor of the equipment (ABB) would decide from there if there would be a cost for the L3 charging. L2 would still be available for free I was told.

Tynan's does not charge for it. They may have to remove a car or two for you to access it, but that's about it.

Also, Tynan's EVSE's are stationed directly next to the smoking area for employees. Yuck.

Its not only rude, but also a breathing hazard and fire hazard.

As for charging the user for the use of the L3 charger, that's very silly.

What's the real difference if I charge/use the SAME AMOUNT of kW of the L2 or L3? The L3 is just faster. Right?

aldarondo said:
aldarondo said:
manitou820 said:
Where in Centennial?

It was turned on on 1/23/2014, I used it on 1/24 and the manager there said that it is free for 90 days but at that point Nissan, the local dealer, and the distributor of the equipment (ABB) would decide from there if there would be a cost for the L3 charging. L2 would still be available for free I was told.

GREENEV said:

What's the real difference if I charge/use the SAME AMOUNT of kW of the L2 or L3? The L3 is just faster. Right?
No, no, no. BIG difference(s)... The DCFC quick chargers are much more expensive, to make of course, but also to install and operate. It differs state-by-state, but many utilities will impose high surcharges for high power demands, even if the kWh delivered is the same. The networks have to pay off these extra expenses somehow!

mbender said:
GREENEV said:

No, no, no. BIG difference(s)... The DCFC quick chargers are much more expensive, to make of course, but also to install and operate. It differs state-by-state, but many utilities will impose high surcharges for high power demands, even if the kWh delivered is the same. The networks have to pay off these extra expenses somehow!

In addition, many companies charge for convenience. Heck, look at gasoline. In most parts of the country electricity is much cheaper than gas, yet the perceived convenience (of course we know better) of pumping gas is still one of the factors EVs need to overcome.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If they charge for it, there's a Tynan's about 6 miles away, looks to be free.

Is there really one at a muffler shop in Ft. Collins?

I was wondering the same thing... seems a bit weird for a muffler shop to get such an expensive piece of equipment. I've been meaning to call them, but just haven't had time.

Has anyone been able to investigate this one? I wonder if they have an L2 instead?

kubel said:
Ehrlich I-25 Kia in Colorado is getting a CHAdeMO. No word on status at this point.

I drove by there a few weeks ago... when I did, they were still building the new dealership. When I had spoken with them a few months ago, it sounded like it would be available this spring or early summer.

They are really nice folks and are open to allowing non-Kia cars to charge for free (last I heard). Since it's a Kia dealership, I don't want to hound them with questions from a LEAF owner and be doubly sure to not hog the charger.

BoulderLeaf said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

I was wondering the same thing... seems a bit weird for a muffler shop to get such an expensive piece of equipment. I've been meaning to call them, but just haven't had time.

Has anyone been able to investigate this one? I wonder if they have an L2 instead?

I called them this morning. It's an L2. They weren't sure of the voltage but (ie, 480, 240...) said it takes 8 hours for a charge, and it's currently free. The person who answered the phone was super nice.

I've updated plugshare with the new info.

Oh, and one more reply: The Denver Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Denver is getting a DCQC. It's installed but not yet operational, according to plugshare.

That is 1 of 2 DCQC's that I've heard are being installed in downtown Denver at non-dealership locations. I don't know where the other is yet. :(

BoulderLeaf said:
BoulderLeaf said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

I called them this morning. It's an L2. They weren't sure of the voltage but (ie, 480, 240...) said it takes 8 hours for a charge, and it's currently free. The person who answered the phone was super nice.

well that provides more confusion than its worth. 6 KW charging "might" take 4 if you have to push it up to the plug... guessing the receptionist you talked to is not really up on the facts

DaveinOlyWA said:
BoulderLeaf said:
(previous quotes remove because limit reached)

well that provides more confusion than its worth. 6 KW charging "might" take 4 if you have to push it up to the plug... guessing the receptionist you talked to is not really up on the facts

Yeah, true, but her experience may be with a pre-2013 LEAF (or one with only a 3.6 kW OBC). In any case, it's not a quick charger. :)

Back