Why I Didn't Buy another Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lencap

In an earlier post I noted that my two month old Leaf was totaled in a flood. I'm awaiting the insurance settlement, which seemed fair, but have decided against getting another Leaf.

My reasons are many. To begin, I've owned two Prius cars each of which gave me good problem free service. The latest of those cars (2011 model) I traded when I leased the Leaf. The car had 26K miles, no problems at all. Although it was a "modest" priced car I accepted the compromises in materials quality for the experience of having a "green" car that would allow me to ride anywhere without restriction.

The Leaf was my experiment to see if the EV was for me. I live in a EV friendly city - lots of public charging stations as well as many free private locations. My daily commute is ideal - 20 miles round trip, with an added 10 miles or so for a lunch break. No problem with range, nor charging. I opted to not get a home charger until fall, expecting that I'd have little problems in the summer with the warmer weather, and would likely want the home charging option as the weather turned colder.

The lease terms were exceptionally reasonable given the sticker price of the car (thank you Federal Tax credit) so the experiment was limited risk. Frankly there isn't anything I could drive for the price of the Leaf lease. It's an amazing deal. So I signed up for the two year lease, put my money down, and began to enjoy the car.

My honey moon was rather brief. Although I loved the EV concept, the reality was something less. The lack of range while commuting during the week became a bigger issue on the weekends. I typically fall under the 80 mile a day range limit, but when charging to 80% the real range was closer to 65 miles. I found that 80% charging wasn't practical for weekend use. Even with a "full" charge, my range rarely exceeded 85 miles including the A/C on and some 60 MPH driving. That was a challenge, especially when I had a 70 mile round trip to make. Would I have enough range, where is the charging station, etc. None of that matters during the week, but it's an issue for me when my wife is driving our other car on weekends. Even with a 85 mile range I found I couldn't comfortably take the car everywhere I wanted. On the day the car flooded I had just charged to 100% with a stated 96 mile range. With the A/C on low (79 degrees, fan lowest setting), driving at 60 MPH on a 70 MPH highway, the range immediately fell to 82, and within 10 miles of driving it was down to 64. My round trip was planned for 72 miles and I began to wonder if I'd make it - even with the GOM at 96 to start and slower driving to keep the range as high as possible. There are many weekend destinations that are 75+ miles round trip - not all of them (in fact most of them) do not have standard charges available at my destination. Worse, I found that on weekends many private charging stations aren't open since the associated businesses are close. That further restricted my weekend trips.

The other irritant is that the car is relatively small (at least compared to the Prius) and riding with a front seat passenger was a bit tighter than I expected. That's particularly true if you are a bit shorter and need to be more forward in the driving position, or at least it was for me. Beyond that what began to bother me more was the material and build quality. Within the two months of ownership the battery died (12 volt, could have been my fault - see earlier post), the driver's seat mechanism broke making it impossible to lower the driver's seat after I had raised it. The parts were not in stock, and would take some time to replace. The radio seemed to have some problems locking on stations, and similar things. Nothing major, but enough to be annoying.

The other things were personal items - I found the dash display to be too "busy"; too many colors/designs/etc. I realize the seat material was designed to be "green", which I appreciate, but it was also very hot in the sun, felt tacky (actually sticky tacky during a day parked outside but not in the sun), and wasn't very comfortable or supportive. I could go on, but these aren't design flaws, they are personal choices. It became very clear that the donor car for the Leaf is a Versa - I'm not disparaging that model, but it's to me it's a pretty big compromise in quality and materials. Yes, I appreciate the cost factor, but that just makes clear how much money is in batteries and technology, not the car itself.

What surprised me was when the car was inspected following the 12 volt battery failure, there was already degradation in the main battery. The Gids were below the delivery charge state by over 5%. I never got the exact reading, but the car was only a month old at that point and we hadn't even started the very hot summer weather. The car is parked in company garage out of the sun during the day, charging typically to 80-90%, but without a home charger that's the best I could do.

In summary, I applaud Nissan for the Leaf - a very fine effort. The price is reasonable, considering what's under the hood, and the dealer network tries very hard to please. But the car itself if a compromise that made me aware every day that I was driving an "econobox" with a EV drivetrain. I realize that the Tesla costs 2-3 times what the Leaf costs, but frankly I'm beginning to think that on a relative value basis it may be the better deal. Yes, it's out of the price range that most people can/want to pay (me included), and it's a totally new car from a new manufacturer, but it is a substantial upgrade from the Leaf.

The deciding factor though was the weekend limitations of range and battery decay. I've seen charts suggesting that in my climate the car will lose 30% of its initial range in 8-9 years. Given my very limited experience I'd say the decay rate would be greater than that estimate. Add to it the "hidden" range penalty of 80% charging and the car really is more limited than I thought - at least for my needs.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the Leaf. It is the least expensive car you can buy new today from anyone, after rebate or through leasing. It is a true EV and does what it says it does. I'm just trying to let prospective owners know that like everything else, the car isn't perfect, and if you do decide to get a Leaf at least be aware of some of the issues I experienced and see if they matter to you.

Finally, I was very surprised to see the very low resale levels for the Leaf in dealer auctions. Since I bought my car two months ago Nissan has reduced the residual value by over 5% - likely recognizing the diminished resale values and ongoing concern about replacement battery costs. When the dealer called me about a new lease the monthly payment was about 15% higher than the initial lease. Part was a higher money factor, but by far the largest part of the increase was depreciation from a lower residual value. None of this should matter dramatically, just be aware of it.

My Nissan grade is an "A" for conceiving of an EV car for the masses at a reasonable price. My ownership grade is a "B", more a personal shortfall of what I expected than a manufacturer fault. I knew what I was buying, just found out that I was more disappointed about the car's quality and range limits (80% charge versus 100% advertised range) than I expected.

Well thought through post, lencap. I agree with all your points. I also have a Prius (2006). Since I do my own maintenance, it has been an outstanding cross-country vehicle---low operating cost, of course. Our Leaf is also an outstanding vehicle for us, since we never expected to drive it more than 50-60 miles per day, and for local driving only. If I had to buy a new car today (I don't believe in leasing), it would be another Prius.

I agree as well and believe that the points made (among a few more that could be added) are understood by probably most of the Leaf drivers in the south. The range is most certainly an issue considering heat degradation and Nissan's "recommendations" about charging to 80%. This is a far cry from all the "100 miles per charge" propaganda that they got us hooked on, which turned out to really be ~ 73 miles, which then turned out to be 80% of 73 miles, which then turned out to be 80% of 73 miles minus 10-20% degradation from temps over 85F degrees within 2 years of ownership.

lencap said:
In an earlier post I noted that my two month old Leaf was totaled in a flood. I'm awaiting the insurance settlement, which seemed fair, but have decided against getting another Leaf.
I'm curious to know what vehicle you have decided on. Will it be another Prius? Or will it be some type of plug-in such as a Volt or one of Ford's offerings?

Sometimes it's nice to get a "do-over".

For the right person the Leaf works well -- right person meaning someone with limited daily driving and access to another vehicle for longer drives. Otherwise then you may not be so happy with it.

Agree that the big issue has been Nissan misrepresentations about the range and, for that matter, the battery life.

adric22 said:
lencap said:
I'm curious to know what vehicle you have decided on. Will it be another Prius? Or will it be some type of plug-in such as a Volt or one of Ford's offerings?

It seems that a Volt is perfect for his situation. Completely electric on weekdays and mix of electric and gas on weekends.

I understand your reasons. I think for your expected weekend driving range the LEAF is a poor fit unless you have reliable charging stations and time to charge, so choosing a different vehicle is a good decision. I also suggest you look at the Volt.

For the LEAF, I tell people to plan on a 50 mile range. Realistically I'm finding the range is something over 80 miles from full charge to turtle mode - but I don't know exactly how much because we avoid getting to the low battery warning. Of course, avoiding that means not making use of 15 miles or so of the available range. Factor in lower range due to bad weather conditions and 50 seems safe. Unfortunately there are still people telling others that the range is 100 miles.

The Leaf is the first car in a generation that people have actually had to think hard about how (and if) it can fit into their lives. It simply isn't the car for a single car family. With that said, we have put 2,100 miles on ours in less than two months. Our driving patterns are almost always less than round trips of 60 miles. In the few occasions we need to, we take the ICE car.

As for size, I guess that comes from what you we're driving before. Dispite somewhat less front leg room, the Leaf is much more practical with its hatch than the 2008 Sentra we traded in.

What has really surprised me the most was how much I appreciate the driving characteristics that are irrelevant of being "Eco friendly." The lack of engine noise and vibration plus instant torque make this feel like the first true car of the next generation of transportation.

To lencap, OP, I also concur that the LEAF didn't quite get you what you needed to be comfortable...

However, I find I can put a bunch of stuff in the LEAF, so to me it seems big enough, and I've also had 5 occupants for hiking trips, etc.

Conversely, I bought my LEAF expecting an effective range of 50 miles, and I have a second ICE car. Guess I am one of those who finds it "ideal". There are a couple of "must charge" trips that I take due to range limitations, and it just so happens that charging is easy, one with a 50amp 240V plug, and the other in Santa Barbara that has decent commercial EV charging in the city and on route.

To each our own... It would be great if production EVs could have a wider range in class, size, and range.

cgaydos said:
I understand your reasons. I think for your expected weekend driving range the LEAF is a poor fit unless you have reliable charging stations and time to charge, so choosing a different vehicle is a good decision. I also suggest you look at the Volt.

For the LEAF, I tell people to plan on a 50 mile range. Realistically I'm finding the range is something over 80 miles from full charge to turtle mode - but I don't know exactly how much because we avoid getting to the low battery warning. Of course, avoiding that means not making use of 15 miles or so of the available range. Factor in lower range due to bad weather conditions and 50 seems safe. Unfortunately there are still people telling others that the range is 100 miles.

Living in the same area, I am surprised about the weekend destinations. I drive my Leaf more on the weekends. The only weekend trip I can think where range would be a concern would be Chapel Hill. Even though I would make it easily, I would still take the ICE.

Just to counter a few other things. I came from a Civic Hybrid so that is my frame of reference. The car stays so cool in the summer in comparison. I am starting to remember to pre-cool which is awesome. The car is much larger than a Civic. I happen to like the seat material and have never noticed any stickyness (but now I'll try to tell).

Nothing has broken for me.

I drove an Accord yesterday and it was my first ICE around town in a long time. We were going to rent a Van and I was picking up after work and the Accord was the better car to leave for a few days in the parking lot.

The Accord was hotter when I got in it (it is white), The a/c cooled more slowly. I got very used to full throttle when I want it and the Accord was a buzzing mess and the downshifts were so annoying. The Accord was slower to 30 which is what matters. And - being a 2007 - no bluetooth etc.

My wife got to drive the Leaf and everytime she does, she wants it full time. My very frugal wife wants me to go ahead and get a Tesla so she can have the hand me down....

Your range issues are surprising - almost seems like something is wrong.

4200 miles in 4 months. TOU rate at 5 cents. Solar about a month old.

I wonder how much more a Prius costs? Say the lease is $50 more. The gas is $80 more. It might be a 60-70% higher TCO on a 2 year lease - on a car that has one of the lowest TCOs out there.

I also agree on the 50 mile practical range. That is what I usually tell people. I say something to the effect that the Leaf can go as far as 80 miles, it can't always go that far depending on the weather, your speed, or any number of variables. And so I figure if somebody buys a Leaf with the understanding of 50 miles range, they'll never be disappointed and they'll never find themselves having to hypermile to make it to work and back.

leafwing said:
adric22 said:
lencap said:

It seems that a Volt is perfect for his situation. Completely electric on weekdays and mix of electric and gas on weekends.

+1 -- getting a do over is nice but would also be beneficial to know what direction they went -- we also actually do more driving on the weekends as well and have done a bit of pre-planning when we need to go beyond even a 100% charge limits by breaking it down to a morning trip, get home and charge for a few hours and then go back out. If we need it all at once, then we use our trip car; this also goes if we need the extra space aspect that the utility car gives us. As many have said, other than when it's really cold which is a bigger limitation than running the A/C.

Regardless, if this early in it doesn't work, by all means switch to something that will!

Did anyone read a previous reply from me? I made one, swear I saw it, and now...nothing. The gist of it was that the Leaf should be thought of as either a great second car, or a car for people who live, work, and recreate in the same urban-exurban area. It isn't a good only car for those who need to drive more than 50 miles a day.

redLEAF said:
we have done a bit of pre-planning when we need to go beyond even a 100% charge limits by breaking it down to a morning trip, get home and charge for a few hours and then go back out. If we need it all at once, then we use our trip car

The 6.6kWh charger on the 2013 has been a life saver for us and might be the single biggest enhancement on the product. This is what has allowed us really get the most out of this car so early on. Bring the car home with 40% charge, plug it in for for few hours and be back (or above 80%) ready to go out again! This would be much harder to do on the old old 3.3kWh charging system.

I bought the Leaf knowing that we have a second car - my wife's - which is an ICE and which we could use for longer trips. If we were a one car family, I definitely would not have bought a Leaf for exactly the reasons you mentioned. My commute at the time was about 48 miles round-trip with significant elevation changes and I made it on an 80% charge with no problem. Toward the end of last year, before we moved the company, the battery degradation had required me to slow down or charge to 100% to make the same trip, however...

Our 2011 LEAF fits us very well. Regarding size, I've always liked small cars so our ICE is a Mini Cooper which means that the LEAF is a big car to us. Regarding weekend driving, it all depends on if that is a bunch of errands during the day and then maybe dinner out at night or if it is 37 miles out and 37 miles back. If you're using 120V charging you may be disappointed that you can't do both without recharging. Our weekend driving is mostly the former. We come home around noon (after about 50 miles) and put it on the charger at 3.3 kW and four hours later it is ready to go into town for dinner. We are really looking forward to get the 6.6 kW model when our lease is up. Maybe we can go into town three times a day.

When I was following the LEAF several years ago, I saw the 100 mile claim but also researched what the LA4 test was. Its average speed is under 20 mph and its top speed is only 55 mph. Thus, I calculated that if the range was half of what Nissan said then it would work for us. For the first two years we were charging almost exclusively to 80%, now I give it a boost of anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour so that I can travel at 65 mph and have the A/C on. And it also seems that when we get into town the wife all of a sudden comes up with other places she wants to go. I try to time my "boosts" so that when I do charge to 100% that the charger is in the final phase of charging and is blinking on and off for that last bit. Then I disconnect and drive immediately so the car doesn't sit at 100% at all.

We always could use more range, but I think Nissan made a mistake by claiming 100 miles which was really 73 and then hitting us with the 80% factor to preserve the battery. I'm grateful that Tesla is out there to show that it can be done, albeit at a hefty price.

A little too much focus and anxiety over the 80% "long life charging" recommendation, imho. Of course it's a good idea if you don't need the full charge. But don't let it run your life. When you get to the point where you're calling it the "real range", you're in a prison of your own design.

I don't hesitate to go to 100% when that suits our needs better, which is common for us on Saturdays and/or Sundays. I time it so as not to let the car sit for too long at 100% Other than that I don't worry about it too much. For one thing it helps keep the battery balanced, and besides it only amounts to a few hours per week that it's actually sitting at 100%. Keep things in perspective. The car is meant to be used.

5,000 miles since April and this car still fits my family and I.

I did as much research as possible before I walked into the dealer. Actually, I found and read these very forums for HOURS before I made my decision. This really helped me size the car up.

I payed close attention to posts like this one to understand what the limitations were. But even with the horror stories... the car still fit my family 90% of the time. Besides, we have an ICE SUV for the longer trips with lots of cargo.

I am glad you gave the Leaf a chance and took the time to make a pretty 'cool headed' post about why you are leaving the Leaf family. All feedback is important.

Another one here who does not regret getting a Leaf, though if I had to do my deal over again I would have gotten the QC port (at the time requiring stepping up to the SL for $2k more) and I would have gone with a lower down payment even if it meant a higher monthly payment.

I can see why the OP would have become disillusioned after the issues requiring dealer visits, but I disagree with a couple of the points. I disagree about the car being cramped: this car is far roomier than my Audi A3, and is also easier to get in and out of. IIRC the EPA classifies the Leaf as a midsize and not as a compact.

I also disagree about the upholstery being sticky. Perhaps the material was changed for 2013, but I don't notice it in my 2012. Yes it soils easily, but I don't find it to be sticky.

As far as the range limitations, well that comes with the territory. As mentioned earlier, the Leaf is best utilized as a second car used primarily for commuting, with an ICEV or hybrid available for those few occasions when the Leaf's range is insufficient. However, there are some who have managed to make the Leaf their only automobile.

I do agree the dash is a bit too "gimmicky" and I would have preferred ordinary analog gauges to the fancy bars and the eco-Christmas Tree.

Back