Why We cancelled our Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarExec

I know this will provoke an emotional response from some people. Please be kind! This is only one family’s experience and opinion…

Let me begin by noting that we are fans of the Leaf. We have two Prius hybrids with over 100k miles on each and a few years ago we resolved to buy electrics/plug-ins to replace them (note to Toyota: these have been great cars and if you would get your act together we would have bought a plug-in Prius without a second thought).

We also believe that when a car company like Nissan makes a big commitment to do something for the environment we should use our purchasing dollars to reward that commitment. This would have been the first Nissan we have ever bought (we had BMW, Audi, Porsche before we bought the Prius). So it was sort of a no-brainer for us to get on the reservation list for the Leaf the day it opened (was late at night so actually 4/21). We also got on the waiting list for a Chevy Volt as soon as they announced it was coming to Texas. We figured that the Volt/Leaf was a perfect fit for our two car household.

Since that initial reservation we have remained committed to the Leaf. We placed our order as soon as we were allowed and we installed a home charging dock in December as soon as it was available. But as the months have passed, we found ourselves with a series of concerns and disappointments about the car and ongoing frustration with the ordering process. Taken alone, we would probably overlook any number of these concerns, but as the issues have accumulated they became problematic enough that we have reluctantly cancelled our order. Instead we will either buy a second Volt or hold out for electrics that are coming out this year or next (Prius PHEV, Ford Focus EV, etc.).

It is my hope that by posting this here, we can get Nissan’s attention to start working on some of the issues that have led us to walk away from this purchase. In my view, they are all easily remedied.

The list of disappointments:
1. The ordering process has been an ongoing irritation. We signed up on day one. Nissan went into radio silence mode until July 27 when we received the “get ready to order” email. But it said we would have to wait until October. So we spent three months “getting ready to order” and then October came and went. So I called Nissan and after some time on the phone they opened the ordering window on November 1. We ordered and got dealer confirmation at MSRP. Then the long “Pending” silence began (and continues as I write this). Right now we are scheduled for somewhere between March and June I suppose (based on the 4-7 months general post on the web site). But who knows? No email, the dealer knows nothing, it is just an information black hole. So much for this promise in the original Leaf press release: "The Nissan LEAF purchase process is effortless, transparent and accessible, offering value with a one-stop-shop approach for everything related to the car, including the assessment, permitting and installation of in-home battery charging units," said Carlos Tavares, Chairman, Nissan Americas.

2. And speaking of the EVSE experience, it was really disappointing. I have written about it here previously so I won’t rant again, but the AV dock was, IMHO, an overpriced POJ. It has been installed since December. My email to Nissan explaining our dissatisfaction went completely unacknowledged.

3. The battery warranty is a worry. The 100k warranty sounded good but the mysterious non-commitment on capacity is a troubling asterisk. Does that mean I am driving around with a car that has a range of 50-60 miles by year four or five with nothing to do but suck it up? GM committed to 10%-30% “over the life of the warranty” so in a bad case I figure the EV range drops from 40 to 30 by end of year five and if it is worse we have a warranty claim. No such guarantee with Nissan. They say they “expect” it to have this kind of performance but they won’t commit to it. Why?

4. The lease terms were not great especially compared to the Volt, and the warranty did not make us feel great about an outright purchase. We were left wondering if GM can do $349/mo for a car that costs $8k more, we what does that say about Nissan’s confidence in the residual value, the long-term battery life and replacement cost? At the end we planned to buy rather than lease. Of course the headline $32,780 rose to $34,730 (SL) plus processing fees, tax title license, destination & handling charges with the quick charge port and floor mats which pushes the total purchase price to around $38k so not exactly a trivial purchase.

5. The car is uglier in person than in the photos. Ok, just an opinion and individual tastes will differ, but from our perspective the car is seriously ugly. Then again, we proudly drive the two ugliest cars we had ever seen before we met Leaf (the Prius) so we were ready to embrace the homeliness of the Leaf, but it certainly was not a selling feature and at least to our taste both the Volt and the Focus EV are a heck of a lot less ugly. (I will add that we think the Leaf has supermodel looks when compared to the iMEV or the BYD. So all a matter of taste and degree I suppose.)

6. The interior is cheap. This was perhaps our biggest disappointment when we drove the car. My wife put it simply: “this does not have the creature comforts you would expect of a $35,000+ car.” Instead:
a. We were especially disappointed with the cloth seats. The recycled plastic gimmick notwithstanding, they are just regular old cheap cloth seats. The fabric on the test cars at the drive event were already getting stained and worn (especially on the sides where people enter and exit the car). The somewhat embarrassed Nissan rep excused it as being 3 months old and with a lot of traffic. But three months of careful babying at various events around the country is, to our way of thinking, about the same wear and tear as two months of teenagers toting fast food. We do not think they will last. A car like this should have leather.
b. The plastic on the interior was hard, thin, and easily scratched (again, on the drive cars they all had visible scratches and already looked old).
c. The cargo configuration is awkward. The rounded edges of the hatchback and the horizontal bump (battery?) and the interior pillars get in the way. The rear cargo cover is hard plastic unlike the retractable and stow-able one we are use to (neither we nor the Nissan rep at the drive event could figure out where to stow it if you wanted to take it out say to haul a TV or something).
d. Telescoping steering wheel? Cupholders for the back? A rear seat armrest? Little things that should be expected on a $35k car…

7. The in-car technology is great in some ways but lacking in the basics. The iPhone integration is only “average” with a lot of frustrations from owners trying to make a regular old USB thumb drive work and getting mixed results with Bluetooth streaming. I expected to be able to plug in my iPhone and use it with the display screens. Little stuff like this should improve over time, but, again, this car in particular should have the cutting edge on gadgetry. If you are buying an electric car, you are almost certainly a gadget freak of some sort.

8. Range anxiety. Okay, I think range anxiety is basically non-sense. You plan your use around the car’s range and you have a different car for longer trips. But there is a different kind of range anxiety that we have come to discover. First, the stories of range dropping suddenly from 8 miles to zero freak us out. It may only be 8-10% of battery but it is a long walk! It means that the effective range of the car (since you cannot trust it below 10 miles) is 10% less. Then we see people charging only to 80% to protect the long-term battery life which is apparently especially important if you are an owner (see warranty above). The combination of these two means we have ~70 miles of reliable effective range in warm weather and maybe less in cold and that is when it is new. Hmm…

9. Safety worries. This was an issue that had been nagging at us for some time but now that we know there will be no crash test ratings this year, it has become a the proverbial straw on the camel's back. Why has this been nagging at us?
a. No knee air bags. Not a deal killer but standard on most cars in this price range.
b. The Versa had a horrible 2 star crash test rating. Yikes!
c. I asked the Nissan Leaf hotline people in October – before we ordered the car – when we would see crash test data. She put me on a long hold and then came back and said it would probably be “shortly after they go on sale” but that the crash test is “not required” to begin selling the vehicle.
d. In early January at the Leaf Drive event, The Nissan rep claimed there “are no government crash tests” only private organizations (I guess referring to the IIHS). I tried to point out that NHTSA was a government agency but he disagreed. Not worth arguing.
e. I found a different Nissan rep at the drive event and she said crash tests would be out in mid-January.
f. I asked on the online chat with “Hillary” and got the answer (posted separately) “Vehicle safety ratings are provided by two independent organizations in the United States ... The availability of ratings for a new vehicle depends on each organization’s own internal schedule.”
g. In an email to the NHTSA (also posted separately) I got the following disappointing message: “The 2011 Nissan Leaf … will not be tested.”
h. So is the thing a Versa (which we would not drive) or a Sentra (which we would not buy with a 3 star side and front rating) or an Altima (which is good)? (I know that the Volt is not being tested either, but it is based on the five star Cruze platform so we figure when it is tested it surely won’t drop below four ...)

We really hope that Nissan does well with this car. We think the press should spend less time gushing about how the Leaf is “quiet” and “a real car” and other nonsense and instead focused on how it compares with other $35k sedans and hatchbacks in the market.
Let me also say thanks to everyone on this board. You guys are an invaluable source of high quality information. You are doing a great service for the buying public who are seeking real world information about electric cars.

We thought about what would bring us back. A five star crash rating, a capacity warranty, and a transparent ordering process would be enough to overlook the other weaknesses we see in the car. The other things are nice-to-have or ought-to-have but we would have bought our first Nissan anyway. Ah well, water under the bridge...

As of today, we hereby relinquish to one of you wait-listers our “slot” for a 2011 Leaf while we wait for our Volt to arrive and figure out whether we replace our second car with another Volt or hold out for an opportunity to buy either a Ford Focus EV, a RAV4 EV, or the mythical Plug-in Prius (if it ever arrives). We hope that all of you who are buying Leafs have a great experience and we sincerely appreciate your open and honest feedback here on mynissanleaf.

Meanwhile our charging station is standing by in our garage, green light shining “ready,” waiting for some manufacturer to sell us a car.

An excellent and well reasoned presentation. My wife and I share many of your concerns and disappointments, in fact, though we are going ahead with our purchase. However, they are also some of the reasons why we decided to lease.

SolarExec said:
I know this will provoke an emotional response from some people. Please be kind! This is only one family’s experience and opinion…

I am wondering about those crash test results. Silence from Nissan often preceeds a disappointment. They must have run a few into a wall by now, and have some idea how it performs.

I have to agree with you on 95% of your points. I realized all these things in the beginning and is why I skipped the AV junk. The interior is very cheap, people here will disagree but I used to deal with these materials professionally and their fabric is worse than some of the cheapest econo boxes and not only is it a stupid color it will not wear over time. Even the floor mats are cheap as heck. I think you have good reason to change your mind and in fact I'm starting to waiver a bit myself. There will be more EVs and likely better options in the future so you won't be missing out. It's a shame they scrimped on the interior, used a smaller charger than likely first specified and partnered with AV. Don't feel bad about your decision as it seemed well though out. You may be getting the improved version in the future:)

Very sorry it did not work out. With such apprehension I am surprised you installed the AV before you had the car.
Or was it the AV experience that turned the corner on the deal?

smkettner said:
Very sorry it did not work out. With such apprehension I am surprised you installed the AV before you had the car.
Or was it the AV experience that turned the corner on the deal?
We ordered the AV pretty early in the process, back when we thought we would have crash data, before anyone had gotten their cars, and before we had driven one. So AV was the beginning of our falling out (but a pretty HUGE source of frustration).

Well I am sure the occupant crash safety is far better than one of my first cars.... 1965 Dodge Coronet with lap belts and a painted steel dash :shock:

smkettner said:
... 1965 Dodge Coronet with lap belts and a painted steel dash :shock:
How did we survive those things? Solid steel steering columns aimed right at the chest, big engines and no brakes. Later we moved on to our first new car, a 1980 Honda made of metal you could easily dent with your thumb.

Although I fully respect the reasons you canceled your LEAF purchase; this car is not for everyone, so you have nothing to apologize for. Below are 10 reasons we did not.

Reasons we did not cancel our LEAF:

1. Car is perfect for my 54 mile commute. I don't feel I will have "range anxiety" now or ever.

2. The car is actually being built. I would rather purchase from a company that is a leader and not a follower in EV tech.

3. Who knows how long California can keep funding the $5k rebate. It's what kept this car affordable for our family.

4. The car is not ugly, it's different. I think when I'm inside, not hearing an engine, smelling fumes or feeling a vibration when at a light or moving, it's the most beautiful car in the world.

5. The sooner I can buy, the sooner one less gas car is on the road, and hopefully others will feel comfortable buying it and the environment will be that much better off for it.

6. My kids; my daughter loves the car and I get a huge kick out of "your car needs no gas daddy!" every time she gets in. I feel I'm setting a good example at the time she will actually listen :).

7. It's a treat to drive. It will flat out and go from a stop. My Civic hybrid could only dream of this type of performance.

8. I live where it's almost always warmer than 30 and less than 90 degrees...good EV weather.

9. Safety....everyone likes to compare this car to a Versa. It's not a Versa....the protection that they had to put in this car for the batteries should make it a lot safer than their ICE cars..since you sit right above them. I know that part of this is faith at this point, but I would be very surprised if it's not true. Plus the Versa did not do that poorly. Check out the IIHS results: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=732

10. Last but not least, one more step to get this country off of foreign oil. This cannot happen soon enough. My nephew is currently stationed in Iraq, and God bless him, but the sooner we can become energy independent, the sooner our young men and women will not have to go risk their lives for oil in places that we are not wanted.

Ready2plugin said:
Although I fully respect the reasons you canceled your LEAF purchase; this car is not for everyone, so you have nothing to apologize for. Below are 10 reasons we did not.

I was trying to compose a response and decided to wait. You've done as good a job as I could have hoped to. Most of your points apply to me as well.

My other comments apply to the Volt. While I like it a lot more than I thought I would, I'm not satisfied with the mpg on the gas engine and I don't have much faith in its durability, given its complexity and GM's track record.

I also think that your point about the Versa crash test rating bears repeating. A rating of "Good" is good enough for me.

SolarExec said:

Hey Solar...

I sympathize with your comments and agree with a lot of them. Sorry to see the hassle with the entire ordering system process. I'm one of the lucky ones (maybe not... with the delay on deliveries it makes me wonder if I have a lemon that's gonna melt in a ball of slag one day for some unknown reason) who got in to order within minutes of the web site opening and have now owned my LEAF for 24 days and 1,000 mi (and love it so far). I know I'm not totally correct here but one comment I can make about what you said. You indicated you expected some better materials (paraphrasing here) for shelling out 35k$ like you might get if you bought an ICE car for 35k$. One thing we must not lose sight of is this is really an 18k$ car with an 18k$ battery stuffed under the body. It's all about the battery. So, while I too HATE the cloth seats (not to mention the missing power driver seat... arrrrgggh), we can't lose sight of the battery. I do appreciate your remarks about the warranty though. I'm starting to think I made a mistake buying when I have the "don't charge to 100%" thoughts sitting in the front of my brain all the time. Too late to change now. The Volt might be offering better materials but then again it is another 8k$ or so and it is not an electric car. That's good and bad of course.

From my experiences with Ford, the maintenance costs are very high with their ICE vehicles. At least it was for my 1997 Exploder (spelling intentional) that I had for 7 years.

Thanks for your comments. Very well articulated. Wish you the best.

Malcolm :geek:

We were left wondering if GM can do $349/mo for a car that costs $8k more, we what does that say about Nissan’s confidence in the residual value, the long-term battery life and replacement cost?
Residual % is about the same - GM is giving a highly subsidized lease while Nissan is not. I hope rest of your analysis is better.

Personally I don't want perfect to be the enemy of good, so I buy it.

I'll be the first to admit that an extra $500 on the interior would have been money well spent, but I also have to say that the look of the car both outside and in is much better "in the flesh" than the view from pictures. When those Ford Focus EV pics came out just before I picked up my car, I was doing some serious soul-searching until we sat in "our" car and took it for a drive around the block. All doubts when away after that, especially when we learned about the lack of DC fast charge.. Sounds like you've seen the car in person, though, so this might not have helped. For comparison's sake, I'm "upgrading" from an '01 Kia Rio so I can attest that the interior of the Leaf is FANTASTIC; when did they start putting electric windows in cars?? :D It's all a matter of where you're starting from...

I have no kids and only a couple of toy poodles (who rarely travel in the car) to worry about, so I'm thinking that I'll be happy with the interior for many years to come. Besides, as I've told people whenever they've asked me "what do you think?", it's a car: it has headlights, a radio, it can carry crap, it moves down the road faster than a bicycle, and --sad though it is to think of now-- it's going to get dinged, scratched, chipped, faded and otherwise abused in its life as a car. I guess I see things in a bit more utilitarian way than most, but I think that's also why I went electric..

I agree this has been a really strange experience. I'm not used to ordering a car before I can drive it, before there's even very much information available about it. I used to only buy used, then I paid as little as possible for a new one so I could drive it for 10+ years. About 5 years ago I got sick of my 16 mpg truck and decided to go hybrid.

So far my Leaf buying experience has been quite frustrating and confusing. I wasn't sure I would fit comfortably into the Leaf, I had a Prius and the roofline was too low and there wasn't enough legroom in the driver's seat. Ordering doesn't mean I have to buy it, so I ordered and got the waiver for the EVSE. My commute is only 16 miles so I may not need it, if I do I'll install it myself and save money.

I got to test drive the Leaf for a total of about 5 mins, max speed 35 mpg. I didn't get to sit up front when my wife drove so I couldn't fiddle with the stuff on the dash. Headroom was excellent. Legroom might be ok, I didn't get to spend enough time in it to know for sure. I test drove the Volt and was very impressed by the feel of the car. After doing some research, I realized it's not the right car for me.

I've been driving toyota hybrids for over 4 years now and there's way too much overlap with the Volt. The ICE in my hybrid comes on constantly and often stays on for no good reason - heater is on, exhaust system isn't warm enough, the hill I'm climbing is too steep, I'm accelerating to fast, etc. On long drives down mountain passes, the battery is full and the ICE keeps running because the car is going more than 40 mph. They constantly waste gas even when the battery pack is full. I realize this is how they were designed but I'm tired of it and want out.

My oil change light just came on, have to do it tomorrow so I don't have that light on all next week. I'm really looking forward to not changing oil and filters every 6 months any more.

I won't know for sure if I'm going to buy the Leaf I ordered until I get to spend an hour driving it around, but there are so many things I like about it already. I'm not looking for perfection, just an electric car I can be comfortable in.

My dream vehicle is a 4 door BEV Hilux or Frontier truck, hopefully it'll happen someday.

Perhaps Nissan is not offering a firm capacity fade warranty because they dont know and it is heavily dependent on the driver..

As an example, GM uses a similar chemistry for their battery.. they limit the depth of discharge down to 65% to prolong its life, Nissan does not do that and instead relies on the fact that many people just dont drive that far during the day.. but how can you offer the same warranty to drivers that discharge their packs 80% EVERY day compared to drivers that do only 15 miles?.. Its a personal assessment we all have to make.

The EPA (and many EV users) rate the LEAF at 70 miles of range for the average driver, if you limit that down to 45 miles per day (or to 65% of the charge) then you will be the happy owner of a 10 year old LEAF with 80% battery capacity still remaining.

My advice?.. if you consistently exceed 55mph on the hwy, and hwy is most of your driving, do not get a LEAF if your commute is longer that those magic 45 miles of range.

It is possible to generate an accurate chart that plots discharge percentage, battery temperature, miles vs. capacity fade.. and the car stores all that information.. but it would be a marketing disaster to publish that chart.

Regarding the seats, has anyone considered using those clear vinyl seat covers that were popular in the '60s? :D

For me a major consideration for going ahead with my order is given in another thread, "Egypt, Suez Canal, and Oil Prices?". Should the instability in the Middle East spread, the price of gas could go to $10 a gallon and totally disrupt everything. I read "Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude" by Robert Baer former CIA case officer a few years ago. He describes in detail just how easily terrorists could completely destroy oil production in Saudi Arabia. With turmoil currently in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Yemen, and Lebanon nobody knows if the oil supplies from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, or the Persian Gulf are dependable. The fact that most of American oil does not actually come from the Middle East is irrelevant, there is one world market where everybody competes.

DeaneG said:
smkettner said:
... 1965 Dodge Coronet with lap belts and a painted steel dash :shock:
How did we survive those things? Solid steel steering columns aimed right at the chest, big engines and no brakes. Later we moved on to our first new car, a 1980 Honda made of metal you could easily dent with your thumb.

since you asked; we didnt. highway deaths per miles driven are less than half what they used to be and safety features are to "blame"

as for the OP; sorry it did not work out for and you may join the many millions who will find a reason to go elsewhere. compromises are something we all must make on a daily basis. how we weigh our decisions is a very complicated and personal thing. i agree, the Leaf has many drawbacks but all cars do. I have driven nothing but Priuses since 2004 and love that car (i still own two of them) but they are not where i want to be. great start, but nowhere near the finish.

i guess if you were like me and had waited so long for a real EV, i simply cant understand why anyone would continue to wait. Sure i would Love an S, but that is waay beyond what i want to pay.

I guess I have a reason to worry because I plan to drive Leaf to work about 35 miles each way, mostly highway with no traffic. However I can do L1 charge at my work so that should work great. This will be a great car for everyday commute.

EdmondLeaf said:
I guess I have a reason to worry because I plan to drive Leaf to work about 35 miles each way, mostly highway with no traffic. I like the car but is it for me? I need your help here.

It all depends on how fast you drive, stick to 55mph, and if you lease or not. It sounds like the next generation (or the Coda or the BYD) may be a better fit for you.

http://www.drive55.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back