Windshield Reflection ? Solution?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillaWhat

I notice this problem at certain times of the day.
The light colored part of the dash "eyebrow" REALLY reflects in the Windshield.
I can live with it if I have to, but I'd love to find a simple solution.
Everything I can think of is either hokey, or will peel in the sun / heat.
Thoughts?
Anybody else noticing this?

reflection.jpg

Thanks

I noticed that too, not a very good placement of instruments reflection-wise in the Leaf, I don't think they did any usability study in this regard. I'm also annoyed by glimmer on Nav screen, at certain angles, if sun can directly shine on it, and I can't read anything without leaning half way, and freaking Hands-free dialing requires looking at options and choose 1-2-3 without naming the options...

Another annoying thing is reflection of the console in side windows at night, I caught myself couple times freaking out seeing some light on the side of the car when I did not expect to see any cars...

For you problem, the easiest solution is to drive a little bit forward toward the trees, in the shadows the reflection is not that noticeable ;)

There are some window films that you can apply that greatly reduce reflection, but AFAIK they all have some tint to it, and I'm not sure if it is legal to apply those on windshield...

You can ask around, for example: http://www.clearviewsun.com/nonreflective-window-tinting.asp

Smidge204 said:
Paint the top of the dash matte black? :D

=Smidge=

That was my first though actually.
If I could be assured that it wouldn't peel off in the sun, I'd do it in a minute.
Probably Matte in the same colour as the rest of the darker dash.

UkrainianKozak said:
I'm also annoyed by glimmer on Nav screen, at certain angles, if sun can directly shine on it, and I can't read anything without leaning half way
You can tilt the nav screen to a couple different angles by holding the tilt-up button for a couple seconds. One of the 3 settings should eliminate glare.

Smidge204 said:
Paint the top of the dash matte black? :D
Alacantra is the way to go. :)

drees said:
UkrainianKozak said:
I'm also annoyed by glimmer on Nav screen, at certain angles, if sun can directly shine on it, and I can't read anything without leaning half way
You can tilt the nav screen to a couple different angles by holding the tilt-up button for a couple seconds. One of the 3 settings should eliminate glare.

Did not matter to me...
The sun just paints the film on top of the screen white... It might have worked if it was tilting down...
I'm not talking about reflection, it's just all-direction white when sun is shining directly into the screen, so tilting it upwards does not help at all...

Well, seen from the surface of the Earth, the Moon does not appear to rotate. This is because from an outside frame of reference, the Moon rotates once for every time it goes around the Earth. So from our vantage point, the Moon is naturally divided into two halves: the hemisphere we always see, called the nearside, and the hemisphere we do not see, the farside. The farside has only been seen by probes or astronauts that have actually orbited (or at least passed by) the Moon.

This is very different from the dark side. As the Moon orbits the Earth, different parts of it get illuminated by the Sun. When the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun, we see it almost entirely in shadow. This is called the new moon. Half a lunar orbit later (two weeks or so) it is fully illuminated by the Sun, giving us a full moon. In between we get a half moon, sometimes confusingly called a quarter moon because the Moon has completed 1/4 of an orbit.

So imagine you are standing on a spot directly in the middle of the nearside. You would see the Earth straight over your head. If it were new moon to someone on Earth, the Sun would be behind the bulk of the Moon to you. For you, it would be local midnight! Two weeks later it would be full moon to someone on Earth, and it would be local noon to you; the Sun would be high overhead. The half moon to someone on Earth means it would be either sunrise or sunset to you, depending on whether you are a week past new moon or a week past full moon, respectively. You can see that the dark side of the Moon is just simply the night side of the Moon. It is no more a fixed feature than the night side of the Earth.

davewill said:
There is no "dark" side. The back side of the Moon gets just as much sunlight as the side facing us.

Here in sunny Florida I wear polarized sunglasses for daytime driving. I haven't noticed any significant reflections from the windshield.

FLBoy said:
Here in sunny Florida I wear polarized sunglasses for daytime driving. I haven't noticed any significant reflections from the windshield.

It only happens in the center of the nearsighted dark side of the washington state. ;)

FLBoy said:

Same here. I wear some nice polarized sunglasses and I rarely have any issues with the reflection.

For those of you who are interested in painting the dash, I would recommend using Plastidip. After a couple of coats it creates a rubber coating that will not be affected by heat. Additionally, because it creates a rubber coating, you can peel it off if you do not like it later on down the road.

TomT said:
Well, seen from the surface of the Earth, the Moon does not appear to rotate. This is because from an outside frame of reference, the Moon rotates once for every time it goes around the Earth. So from our vantage point, the Moon is naturally divided into two halves: the hemisphere we always see, called the nearside, and the hemisphere we do not see, the farside. The farside has only been seen by probes or astronauts that have actually orbited (or at least passed by) the Moon.

Since the Moon's orbit is not quite circular, our view does "wobble" a bit. And so we earth-bound observers get a bit of a bonus. About 59% of the Moon's surface is visible from Earth at one time or another. :mrgreen:

Back