Winner?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danwat1234 said:

Yeah guys, look who "William C." is. Do you seiously think they were able to get as many points as me? Do you think they had the time?

This competition is rigged by the sponsor, no doubt. A nice family won the event.. I'm not saying they don't 'deserve' it but just look at my side.

-I posted to about 25 internet forums and netted thousands of views
-I have gone around my neighborhood and handed out 250+ leaflets to peopl at their houses.

-hair stylist giving out leaflets to customers, gave her about 150 to give out

-youtube videos annotations on my own videos, including my popular videos that get over 400 views a day (I have about 5 of these videos that are this popular) (netted ~ 44,000 views).
Even Asked for people to vote for me on the official Nissan Leaf Polar Bear youtube video!!!!! My comment was the highest rated comment so it stuck, and I netted about 8,000 views from that.
- Did similar on about 5 other Nissan Leaf youtube videos

- I had been messaging about 40 active youtube users a day who were subscribed to a green channel.

-I posted my stuff on friend's walls, including the my school's Green center and Plug in America
- put leaflets around my college

Its all good. I don't think they like the part of my video where I said the word "generator"

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=248ZRV8WHPN9

Hook up a generator to the car? Whats up with that? Why hook up a generator to the car?

danwat1234 said:
I agree, I'm a bit of whiner! I'll stop.
It just tweaks me that it doesn't really matter the vote count, it just matters how good the particpant's video is! This program is run by a sponsor(s) looking for ad material.
Anyway like I said, I'm done whining

I just watched your video. I was expecting something on par with the "Beaker" one, or at least something, maybe enthusiastic?

"I'm going to add a tailpipe, and void the battery warranty, and uh.. so, yay."
Guess Nissan didn't really see running with this one as a winner?

I'm laughing out loud, actually.. the disparity between what I thought you were promoting and your actual video.. I don't know why, but this is the most hilarious thing I've seen all morning. Sorry. <This is me saying sorry while trying to not laugh, and failing>

GroundLoop said:
danwat1234 said:
I agree, I'm a bit of whiner! I'll stop.
It just tweaks me that it doesn't really matter the vote count, it just matters how good the particpant's video is! This program is run by a sponsor(s) looking for ad material.
Anyway like I said, I'm done whining

I just watched your video. I was expecting something on par with the "Beaker" one, or at least something, maybe enthusiastic?

"I'm going to add a tailpipe, and void the battery warranty, and uh.. so, yay."
Guess Nissan didn't really see running with this one as a winner?

I'm laughing out loud, actually.. the disparity between what I thought you were promoting and your actual video.. I don't know why, but this is the most hilarious thing I've seen all morning. Sorry. <This is me saying sorry while trying to not laugh, and failing>

Hahaha.. hrmph.. :twisted: well... It's like when you watch "Idol" or what ever all thoose programs are called on tv....... nuff said.. :D

It's safe to say that I was the only engineer that made a video :D

I shouldn't have mentioned a generator, but I think it is an awesome idea to power a house off your leaf during a power outage (without using gasoline) and then charge up your leaf when power is restored..

Finally! Had to wait a bugger long time to finally have my video posted and I know I won't win without cheating and I won't cheat even though I well know how I could but would any of y'all check me out and if you think I deserve Lance's Bike, vote for me? There's no way D.C. is gonna beat Seattle (Seattle was a mad-house!) but at least I'd like to be # 1 in D.C.! :)

Vote for TimeHorse's ride!

danwat1234 said:

Yeah guys, look who "William C." is. Do you seiously think they were able to get as many points as me? Do you think they had the time?

This competition is rigged by the sponsor, no doubt. A nice family won the event.. I'm not saying they don't 'deserve' it but just look at my side.

-I posted to about 25 internet forums and netted thousands of views
-I have gone around my neighborhood and handed out 250+ leaflets to peopl at their houses.

-hair stylist giving out leaflets to customers, gave her about 150 to give out

-youtube videos annotations on my own videos, including my popular videos that get over 400 views a day (I have about 5 of these videos that are this popular) (netted ~ 44,000 views).
Even Asked for people to vote for me on the official Nissan Leaf Polar Bear youtube video!!!!! My comment was the highest rated comment so it stuck, and I netted about 8,000 views from that.
- Did similar on about 5 other Nissan Leaf youtube videos

- I had been messaging about 40 active youtube users a day who were subscribed to a green channel.

-I posted my stuff on friend's walls, including the my school's Green center and Plug in America
- put leaflets around my college

Its all good. I don't think they like the part of my video where I said the word "generator"

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=248ZRV8WHPN9

Okay, so this is Yami1975, a.k.a. the "William C." who you have been verbally peeing on for three pages now. My family and I were all excited to test drive the LEAF, so we all participated in the contest and had fun doing it (contrary to the theory that I rented a wife and kids for the video.) We set out to make an earnest appeal that was funny and cute enough to get people to vote for us. We sent it to every friend and acquaintance in our circles of friends with personal appeals for votes by sending our e-mails and Facebook postings out in waves to groups of related people in the same social circles. We continued to remind folks and solicit votes throughout the entire 30 days. I also gave the link to a number of teenage friends of mine with ADHD and obsessive texting habits, which probably helped. Long story short, we put in a great deal of targeted time and effort to make a decent video that was at least moderately entertaining and get it to go as far as possible.

I obviously have no idea how many votes we got total, but suffice it to say that by the end of the contest we had confirmation from friends that we had received votes from people across the entire US and in at least five other countries, and people we had no idea voted for us have been asking us when we'll find out about the grand prize drawing. Your video can get all the views in the world, but if people don't identify enough with you to vote in the first place, you won't win. (My guess is that your mention of the word "generator" was less of a factor than the fact that you talked more about taking the car apart than actually driving it.)

danwat1234 said:
It's safe to say that I was the only engineer that made a video :D

You really, really weren't. I know at least a few from the Seattle event alone. :)

Yami1975 said:
Long story short, we put in a great deal of targeted time and effort to make a decent video that was at least moderately entertaining and get it to go as far as possible.

I thought that was a pretty cute video, honestly, and a good effort!

GroundLoop said:
Any idea when they might do this? 4-7 months? :)

We got notified about the bike pretty soon after the first contest ended (1-2 weeks), but they very well could hold off until later to announce the grand prize at some bigger event. Either way, I hope it's public enough that the rest of us who don't win are all kept in suspense forever.

Hey all, we won the San Jose region contest (we're the "Where's Waldo?/Super Mario/Woody" family -- Darryl L.) Now that all the events are done, I'm really wondering who won the car.

Yami -- it sounds like you spammed, er, put in a lot more effort than we did. Have you heard anything? I'm going to see if Giovanni still looks at his Twitter feed from where he spammed, er, reached out to tons of celebrities or basically anybody with more than 20 followers to try to get them to retweet his video.

I do like the bike though. ;-}

Congrats on winning the contest in San Jose! The bike is definitely very nice. If nothing else, we came out of it with a sweet ride of another type, right? :mrgreen:

Honestly, I think the reason we got as many votes as we did was that we stuck with people we knew would be sympathetic. We figured that if the goal was to get our video to go viral, we'd better ask people who know us well enough to explain our situation to their friends and their friends' friends. Think about it: people routinely pay more for organic milk and other products not so much because of a significant difference in taste, but rather because of the appealing narrative associated with the organic food in question ("Hey, this one comes only from happy cows on small, family-owned farms. I want to support those cows!") The same principle should work in contests like this.

Still no news. Since we got contacted via FedEx the last time, I'm assuming that will be how they notify the winners this time. Unfortunately for us, the lady across the street has been getting a lot of FedEx packages lately so it's absolute torture whenever the truck pulls up. I keep Googling "LEAF contest winner" and seeing nothing (except this post and a few others on the MyNissanLeaf forum), so perhaps they're waiting until next month. The suspense is killing us!

I'll be interested to see if David R. from LA ends up winning. He had a separate YouTube video (possibly more than one, I don't remember) that was longer and had much higher production value to attract links to his actual contest video. I have no idea how well that stuff works, but it never occurred to me to try that. I took them at their word when they said you could only vote via e-mail, Facebook or Twitter. I didn't want us to get disqualified on a technicality, so we played it extra-safe. Oh well!

notyou said:
Hey all, we won the San Jose region contest (we're the "Where's Waldo?/Super Mario/Woody" family -- Darryl L.) Now that all the events are done, I'm really wondering who won the car.

Yami -- it sounds like you spammed, er, put in a lot more effort than we did. Have you heard anything? I'm going to see if Giovanni still looks at his Twitter feed from where he spammed, er, reached out to tons of celebrities or basically anybody with more than 20 followers to try to get them to retweet his video.

I do like the bike though. ;-}

I sent the SASE for the Winner List -- the Grand Prize Winner is Dorota P from Edmond, OK.

Congrats to Dorota!

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Winners.aspx

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=GJKFCYZJCV83

onlyjaymoo said:
I sent the SASE for the Winner List -- the Grand Prize Winner is Dorota P from Edmond, OK.

Congrats to Dorota!

I wrote to them but never got a response. Thanks for posting it. Now I can stop wondering and go back to checking my dashboard to see when I'll get to buy mine. :|

Yeah, makes you wonder what it really took to win.
Clearly the actual video was only a small part of it.

Back