Mitsu priced the i-MiEV at $27,990

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

It is smaller than a LEAF, only goes 80ish miles...but $27,990 before rebates is still pretty darn good.

Deliveries to California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii by November 2011, followed by the northeastern U.S. market by March 2012 with nationwide availability expected by December 2012.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/89b5cb15-e4d6-3752-a3b5-883c4dad9d1d

"The breakthrough Mitsubishi i is the most affordable 100% electric-powered mass-market production vehicle available in North America. Its net MSRP* after federal tax credit is a very affordable $20,490 for the standard ES model and only $22,490 for the upgrade SE version, making the starting price for the all-new Mitsubishi i several thousand less than other mass produced electric vehicles available in the market."

I think this is a price they can attract users with. I guess one would have to compare the higher version with Leaf - the base version is probably too bare. Still it is 3K less than leaf.

In CA with the rebate - it could be as low as $15K !!

Statik said:
It is smaller than a LEAF, only goes 80ish miles...but $27,990 before rebates is still pretty darn good.

"The breakthrough Mitsubishi i is the most affordable 100% electric-powered mass-market production vehicle available in North America. Its net MSRP* after federal tax credit is a very affordable $20,490 for the standard ES model and only $22,490 for the upgrade SE version, making the starting price for the all-new Mitsubishi i several thousand less than other mass produced electric vehicles available in the market."
I'll pass just based on looks and is it a real 80 miles? Also, base model doesn't have Nav and other features, so essentially making it it closer to Leaf price if opt out for upgraded version.

Wow, she is hot! Nice features. If only Nissan hired her instead of what his name. Oh yeah, the car is cool too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeRLK9LpWo[/youtube]

IBELEAF said:
Statik said:

I'll pass just based on looks and is it a real 80 miles? Also, base model doesn't have Nav and other features, so essentially making it it closer to Leaf price if opt out for upgraded version.

No, not a real 80.

85 on the famous LA4, probably a real world 70ish.

evnow said:
I think this is a price they can attract users with. I guess one would have to compare the higher version with Leaf - the base version is probably too bare. Still it is 3K less than leaf.

In CA with the rebate - it could be as low as $15K !!

I think at this price it has a place in the market. They said they would be just under 30K, but usually things like pricing quess-timates don't hold up over time. $27.9 is a surprise to me.

At 20K after rebate (or less in some states as you mention), I think it makes it accessible to any potential new car buyer. With gas prices as high as they are atm, it will get some notice and I think they will make some decent sales.

Can Mitsu make any money at this price given the USD/JPY exchange? I dunno.

mwalsh said:
BTW.....welcome back Statik!

Heeh, thanks my friend.

I am always 'out and about' lurking now that I don't have anywhere to write...but couldn't resist this one, (=

Very good value, IMO.

Nice to see there will soon be a second BEV with DC capability on the market.

Too bad that Nissan And Mitsubishi seem to be the only MFRs, so far, that understand the utility of fast charging.

I believe that, in Japan, Nissan and Mitsubishi allow each other's customers to use dealership DC chargers. Maybe Mitsubishi will make more effort to put DC in dealerships, than Nissan America did.

And maybe, if we ask Mitsu dealers, really nicely...

So, how much of what she said (memorized) does she actually understand?
The one comment I will accept as her own is how the back seat is "a lot roomier than you'd think" :)

gbshaun said:
So, how much of what she said (memorized) does she actually understand?
The one comment I will accept as her own is how the back seat is "a lot roomier than you'd think" :)
Do not underestimate you maybe very surprised

Saw this in person at the Chicago Auto Show -- pix don't do it justice, this (although I don't think it was quite yet the U.S. version) car is really narrow, skinny tires and odd wheel arc's, etc. -- could become the 'value leader' in EV's for awhile but perhaps this lower price will make Ford adjust the new Focus EV price a bit -- the size/shape just screams it's something different, not to my liking but then again lot's of people don't like the look of the smart either! I also find it interesting that they're targeting the northeast (would think NYC, Boston, DC, Philly) --

Statik said:

I got to drive the JDM version last fall on a short drive on suburban streets near the CCSE offices in San Diego. Very fun to drive at low to moderate speeds. One of the drive modes invokes heavy regen that will please MiniE drivers and others that love strong regen and "single pedal" driving. Note that the car only seats four instead of five, and the interior, while surprisingly roomy isn't close to the LEAF for overall space, cargo space or the overall airy and inviting feel.

I love the option of a leather wrapped wheel. One of the first things I'd opt for if available on LEAF.

They don't list curb weight, or at least I didn't see it. But with the pack capacity at only 16 kWh, we can probably expect actual range to be not much more than 70% of LEAF's range. Any thoughts on that?

Like EVNow says, this could be a $15k EV for CA! If they can sort the tax credit into an instant rebate I think this car could have very good market penetration. I Like It!

Also drove, and liked the JDN version. Roomy, smart packaging, simple controls, drove well, with good regen. I had thought the US version was to get a battery capacity increase to offset the size/weight gain, but apparently not. If ES version sold here with a 6.6kW charger, I'd be on it.

I thought the interior of the JDM version felt a bit "basic" compared to what we're used to from a car these days, and certainly when compared to the LEAF. I remember that aftermarket looking, DIN sized, head-unit seeming very cheap.

Back