Consumer Reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electriclarry

Please lend a car to Consumer Reports! I know they normally only buy cars, but I would like to get an idea of what the real world range is. BTW they do accept loner cars as 'first looks.' They have their own test track and could scientifically at least for the loner car come up with ranges at the different speeds. Tests by bloggers driving the car 'around the block' are interesting, but for the most part meaningless.

Checkout this thread. Nissan shared quite a bit of information about range. More than CR can ever produce ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=585

You might not like what CR has to say about it. They'd probably recommend you hold off buying for all the reasons already discussed on this board.

BTW, Here is a blog entry on EVs. I think most people here know more than them ... given all the inaccuracies and errors here.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/08/chevrolet-volt-nissan-leaf-electric-cars-.html

They might accept loners, but not loaners. They don't trust manufacturers to give them a regular car. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a ride-along in one acquired by a staffer, etc., and give a short blurb along the lines of an initial impression without a rating or test.

They might accept loners, but not loaners. They don't trust manufacturers to give them a regular car. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a ride-along in one acquired by a staffer, etc., and give a short blurb along the lines of an initial impression without a rating or test.

October 2010 issue:

pages 48 - 51 and article about electric vehicles called:

"Should you plug in?"

Basic EV information
Photos of LEAF and other EV's that will be here soon.
Costs of charging
Consumer Reports senior web editor tells his story of his year driving an electric Mini E

Personally, I am not influenced by what CR recommends. I am influenced by the factual information that they provide, which I compare to my own wants and preferences.

Sometimes I am in agreement with the CR recommendations, sometimes I am not because the things that are most important to me may not be what they feel are most important.

LTLFTcomposite said:
You might not like what CR has to say about it. They'd probably recommend you hold off buying for all the reasons already discussed on this board.

I just hope my Leaf does not arrive until CR does its testing.

You may not like what is says, you may consider it like Top Gear (WHAT!) but read what they said about latest Jag and you'll understand why this publication is invaluable when you are spending your hard earned money.

If Nissan put a prop rod for the hood, where else did they cut corners? CU will find out.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/just-in-2011-jaguar-xjl-sedan-problems.html

electriclarry said:
this publication is invaluable when you are spending your hard earned money.

If you mean invaluable in terms of showing me how to not be a dumb-ass, then I'd have to agree. Because that's all I got from that story....the guy was told to keep the car locked or it would run down his battery and he didn't.

electriclarry said:

Last time they wrote about Leaf there were quite a few factual errors. I think they are ok with thier washing machines etc but any new tech is beyond them. I remember reading horribly wrong reviews of HDTVs when they came out too ...

electriclarry said:

You may not like what is says, you may consider it like Top Gear (WHAT!) but read what they said about latest Jag and you'll understand why this publication is invaluable when you are spending your hard earned money.

If Nissan put a prop rod for the hood, where else did they cut corners? CU will find out.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/just-in-2011-jaguar-xjl-sedan-problems.html

Using a prop rod on the hood is not cutting corners on a car like the LEaf with a small light hood one will open only to fill washer fluid once and a while. CR is clueless about EVs and not exactly where I would get any info on cars. Nissan cut corners on the charger, interior fabric and a few other minor areas but when it comes to holding up a hood who cares, it's not the rear hatch.

EVDRIVER said:
Nissan cut corners on the charger, interior fabric and a few other minor areas but when it comes to holding up a hood who cares, it's not the rear hatch.

Actually they paid more for the fabric (to use recycled plastic bottles).

To me, it seems like paying less to get a BETTER fabric ... that could later be recycled INTO plastic bottles ... would be better. But, I am old, what do I know?

Hopefully all the plastic bottles are already being recycled ... into other bottles or containers.

And, woulden't old-fashioned re-use of containers be much more efficient?
Or, is making them "sanitary" too difficult for modern technology?

Doesn't it take a lot MORE energy to separate, crush, chip, "purify", "melt", and re-form?

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Nissan cut corners on the charger, interior fabric and a few other minor areas but when it comes to holding up a hood who cares, it's not the rear hatch.

Cutting corners not just in the dollar sense. The interior is far too light for many people's practical use and seat covers are tacky. Those with pets and kids are in worse shape. After many complaints they will likely make changes.

garygid said:
To me, it seems like paying less to get a BETTER fabric ... that could later be recycled INTO plastic bottles ... would be better. But, I am old, what do I know?

Hopefully all the plastic bottles are already being recycled ... into other bottles or containers.

And, woulden't old-fashioned re-use of containers be much more efficient?
Or, is making them "sanitary" too difficult for modern technology?

Doesn't it take a lot MORE energy to separate, crush, chip, "purify", "melt", and re-form?

Think of all the energy that will be used to steam clean them (that will happen) and all the people that will buy non-green seat covers which will likely have more impact. Not to mention all the chemicals people will use to clean them and possibly protect them. Recycling is good but get a darker fabric the color they offer is insanely impractical for many people. Besides gary, you know you will cancel your order a few days before delivery:)

Cancel ... getting less likely. :)

1. Increased chance of getting the CA Rebate
2. Some chance of delivery this year, for early tax recovery
3. My wife says I can buy ... IF I manage to sell the 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 Van-Conversion
4. Increasing number of favorable drive-test reports

So, all is not lost yet, but yes, a good reminder of reality, thanks, I needed that, :)

EVDRIVER said:
evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:

Cutting corners not just in the dollar sense. The interior is far too light for many people's practical use and seat covers are tacky. Those with pets and kids are in worse shape. After many complaints they will likely make changes.

Seat covers may seem tacky, but seat cushions (can be bought from recycled material) look pretty good and will protect it well. :)

Back