Dav
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Will dealers be allowed to gouge us?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:26 pm

hill wrote:when considering our $99 came with no 'place-in-line' number.
We are not actually certain of that. While the 'reservation number' they provided us does not seem to be sequential, we have no idea how they interpret it internally at Nissan.

cinmar
Delivery Date: 01 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1818

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 pm

With my smart car, we also paid a $99 reservation fee. However, as those "in line" before us starting canceling their already manufactured smart, "orphaned" smarts become available to those next in line at each dealership. When my VW Beetle broke down, I called the dealership a couple months before my smart delivery was due, and asked if they had any orphaned smarts. They said yes, but they had other "next in liners" ready to buy the car. Then, those people decided they didn't like the color, so they called me back and asked if I'd take a white (instead of the yellow I ordered), and if so, I could pick it up that day, but I had to let them know ASAP, as they'd contact the next person in line. I said, yep, I'll take it!

I didn't know what happened to my $99 reservation fee till the dealership contacted me several months later and asked if I wanted another smart because I was still on the waiting list and they had one available. Apparently, they didn't remove my name when I bought the orphaned smart. I said no, and they sent me my $99 back within 6 weeks.
Reserved 4/20/10 * Ordered 10/25/10 * EDD April->May->Pending->June->April 11th->April 27th->April 29th->May 5th->DELIVERED 5/1/11
Carwings: 4/12/11 - 7-day email:4/21/11
Glacier Pearl SL + QC
4.9 kW SunPower PV Panels

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 am

cinmar wrote:With my smart car, we also paid a $99 reservation fee. However, as those "in line" before us starting canceling their already manufactured smart, "orphaned" smarts become available to those next in line at each dealership. When my VW Beetle broke down, I called the dealership a couple months before my smart delivery was due, and asked if they had any orphaned smarts. They said yes, but they had other "next in liners" ready to buy the car. Then, those people decided they didn't like the color, so they called me back and asked if I'd take a white (instead of the yellow I ordered), and if so, I could pick it up that day, but I had to let them know ASAP, as they'd contact the next person in line. I said, yep, I'll take it!

I didn't know what happened to my $99 reservation fee till the dealership contacted me several months later and asked if I wanted another smart because I was still on the waiting list and they had one available. Apparently, they didn't remove my name when I bought the orphaned smart. I said no, and they sent me my $99 back within 6 weeks.

I know the Smart was in no way as near a short supply as the Leaf will be in December, but would you have gotten it for MSRP? . . . or how close to MSRP was it going to be.

daniel

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

hill wrote:Sadly, I haven't seen anywhere in writing that whomever signed up first (in any given county), is necessarily going to be 1st in line. That should be even more evident, when considering our $99 came with no 'place-in-line' number.

As I keep saying, Nissan has NOT SAID how purchasing priority and/or delivery priority will be determined. ANYTHING said here on the subject that does not come from Nissan or a Nissan rep is PURE WORTHLESS SPECULATION!!!

I'm kind of hoping this month's promised email will answer this, but that's speculation also. Relax, people! We don't know how Nissan will decide who gets the first cars.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

ShahulX

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm

They cannot stop us (the dealers) from price gouging...I know that from my dealings with trying to buy a Nissan GTR a couple years back....(when I worked for Honda). I am urging my dealer to do MSRP and no more. I'd even like to setup some sort of small donation made to the gulf with every Leaf sold...but we can see...I have not the final word in that.
2009 Nissan GT-R (570whp)
2010 VW GTi MKVI DSG
2011 Nissan Leaf (deposit down)

EVDRIVER

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

ShahulX wrote:They cannot stop us (the dealers) from price gouging...I know that from my dealings with trying to buy a Nissan GTR a couple years back....(when I worked for Honda). I am urging my dealer to do MSRP and no more. I'd even like to setup some sort of small donation made to the gulf with every Leaf sold...but we can see...I have not the final word in that.

I think BP should buy every person in the US a Leaf, that would bring the production costs down.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:17 pm

ShahulX wrote:They cannot stop us (the dealers) from price gouging...I know that from my dealings with trying to buy a Nissan GTR a couple years back....(when I worked for Honda). I am urging my dealer to do MSRP and no more. I'd even like to setup some sort of small donation made to the gulf with every Leaf sold...but we can see...I have not the final word in that.

Which dealer are you with - so we know which one to avoid :lol:

BTW, this is not comparable to GTR. Afterall GTR didn't have $7,500 tax credit.

Atleast in Seattle, I know how to stop gouging - I'll make sure the story hits the front page of Seattle Times - "Nissan Dealers Gouging On Tax Dollars". :twisted:
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

EVDRIVER

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:28 pm

evnow wrote:

Which dealer are you with - so we know which one to avoid :lol:

BTW, this is not comparable to GTR. Afterall GTR didn't have $7,500 tax credit.

Atleast in Seattle, I know how to stop gouging - I'll make sure the story hits the front page of Seattle Times - "Nissan Dealers Gouging On Tax Dollars". :twisted:

I think any smart dealer knows they will lose the sale to another and get on the leaf "black list", it won't look good for their future sales.

ShahulX

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Well...I don't wanna advertise yet...(against most forum rules)... but I I am actually in the same boat as all of you :lol:
2009 Nissan GT-R (570whp)
2010 VW GTi MKVI DSG
2011 Nissan Leaf (deposit down)

EVDRIVER

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 pm

ShahulX wrote:Well...I don't wanna advertise yet...(against most forum rules)... but I I am actually in the same boat as all of you :lol:

What state?

Return to “Ask Nissan”