End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 4 year lease on a 2012 SL ended October 4th. I was offered $10,500 off the residual which brought the purchase price down to around $4,500. I went ahead and bought the car as I am down 3 bars and have a year to drop the fourth. The out the door price after taxes, dealer fees, etc. was right at $6,000. It really has been a great car and I can't wait to pass it on to my daughter when she turns 16 in a couple of years. I am in the Atlanta area.

Joe6pack said:
My 4 year lease on a 2012 SL ended October 4th. I was offered $10,500 off the residual which brought the purchase price down to around $4,500. I went ahead and bought the car as I am down 3 bars and have a year to drop the fourth. The out the door price after taxes, dealer fees, etc. was right at $6,000. It really has been a great car and I can't wait to pass it on to my daughter when she turns 16 in a couple of years. I am in the Atlanta area.

great deal!

Today I spoke to the salesman that we used when we got our Leaf. We have remained in contact over the last 3 years. He is one of the first Leaf owners in San Diego, so he is almost on our side.

Anyway I asked him to find out the best deal the dealer could make for us. He called me back and said they could give me $7,000 off buy-out. This just happens to be the least that would be acceptable to us, although we would prefer $7,500. We have until 11/6/16 until we need to make another lease payment so will probably do it within the next couple of weeks, so we have time to find out if we can get a better deal.

Graffi, what is your residual?

I'm not sure what to do yet, my 3year/36k lease is up in March on my 2013 Leaf SV with premium. The residual is about $17,000 and I'd like to see about $8-$9k buyout. I suspect it may end up back with Nissan.

John/Fresno

Jwedd said:

I'm not sure what to do yet, my 3year/36k lease is up in March on my 2013 Leaf SV with premium. The residual is about $17,000 and I'd like to see about $8-$9k buyout. I suspect it may end up back with Nissan.

John/Fresno

Same situation as me, but because I don't have QC and they have recently opened several DCFC stations in my area, I'm resigned to returning my car and leasing...probably another Leaf.

Jwedd said:

John/Fresno

I do not remember exactly, but somewhere around $15.7k. I just looked it up and since we have made two payment on the extension we are now at $14.9.

Now it looks like this:

$14.9 Pay-off quote
$ 7.0 Dealer discount
$ 7.9 Purchase price
Plus all the other fees....

Hope this helps

Talked to NMAC, they said that the offer Joe got ended 10/3 and they will not have any more offers through NMAC. Nissan is such a bunch of effing idiots - I would have written them a check that day to buy the car, but they never notified us about this offer. Now they say you have to go through the dealer, which is sure to be a less generous and way more frustrating experience.

Oh well, no more Nissans for us. buh bye.

Joe6pack said:

peakay said:
Talked to NMAC, they said that the offer Joe got ended 10/3 and they will not have any more offers through NMAC. Nissan is such a bunch of effing idiots - I would have written them a check that day to buy the car, but they never notified us about this offer. Now they say you have to go through the dealer, which is sure to be a less generous and way more frustrating experience.

Oh well, no more Nissans for us. buh bye.

Joe6pack said:

Exactly, dealer told me no money off on my 2014 Leaf S this month. Went ahead and bought a low mileage mazda 3 for $5k while I wait for my Model 3 pre-order and I'll return the leaf in two months. Not going to play games with Nissan in the last month of the lease.

Graffi said:
I do not remember exactly, but somewhere around $15.7k. I just looked it up and since we have made two payment on the extension we are now at $14.9.

Now it looks like this:

$14.9 Pay-off quote
$ 7.0 Dealer discount
$ 7.9 Purchase price
Plus all the other fees....

Hope this helps

Thanks, yes, very helpful. Not sure what the local dealers will be able to do for me. I'll give it a try though.

Leftie, no QC here either. But we live way out in the country, so it wouldn't really help. We haven't had the need for QC. But that for sure is a selling/buying point that I'll have to bring up.

Best,

John

In Silicon Valley. My lease is up on Nov 30. Dealer is only offering 4500 discount to buyback. 2013 SV with 13.9K residual, so that will be approx 9.5K.

I don't think I will be taking this, even though the car has only 30K miles on it. KBB is only 6.9K.

Anybody here get better offers recently from a dealer in SIlicon Valley ? (Mine is from Stevens Creek)

I guess I am most likely moving on to a Volt. Let's hope for a Black Friday deal!

sunil said:
In Silicon Valley. My lease is up on Nov 30. Dealer is only offering 4500 discount to buyback. 2013 SV with 13.9K residual, so that will be approx 9.5K.

I don't think I will be taking this, even though the car has only 30K miles on it. KBB is only 6.9K.
Interesting.... 3 year lease? Yours is a '13 SV with premium only and no quick charge (CHAdeMO inlet) + LED headlight package, right?

Wow. KBB $6.9K? Is that their estimated private party or trade in value? If that # is realistic (I didn't bother when I was in the market for a used '13 Leaf over a year ago, as KBB values were way off), that means there are likely off-lease used Leaf bargains to be found.

$9.5K doesn't sound t that great. My '13 SV w/premium package only w/under 24K miles I bought at about 25 months old (so it had ~11 months of basic warranty left back then) was $9,325 + tax and license (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825) in mid-July 2015. If my assumptions are right, if you were to buy your leased car, your 3 year/36K warranty would've expired.

I am in the Atlanta area and have called a couple of dealers looking for a buyout price and have not gotten an answer. I have a 2015 S and the 24 month lease ends next month. Can anyone that has dealt with a dealer in the Atlanta area in the last few weeks regarding the lease buyout please share the dealer and contact if possible.

Thanks,
David

david30263 said:
I am in the Atlanta area and have called a couple of dealers looking for a buyout price and have not gotten an answer. I have a 2015 S and the 24 month lease ends next month. Can anyone that has dealt with a dealer in the Atlanta area in the last few weeks regarding the lease buyout please share the dealer and contact if possible.

Thanks,
David

I'm in the situation, please post anything you find out. skashia posted on 9/29 that he got
a $10,200 offer from an Atlanta dealer on the 2 year 2015 S lease. However, his post didn't say which dealer and he hasn't reposted or replied to my private message.

I'm in a similar situation. In the Atlanta area (leasing from Regal Nissan in Roswell). My 24 month lease is up at the end of November on an 2015 SV with no QC and about 21K mileage. Dealer is offering $4000 off residual for a total of $13,400 including taxes to buy the car. I think this is the total price but may have to go in to see if there are any hidden additional fees. I think I can waive the $395 disposition fee that I would normally pay if I turn the lease in. I'd like to talk them down another $1-2K based on what similar models are going for resale. Advice?

My buyout offer came directly from NMAC. I wouldn't trust the dealer. I used Sutherlin Nissan at the Mall of GA since that is where I bought the car. They are a typical dealer, so watch out. You will probably have to pay a dealer doc fee and the tavt tax, the $200 EV impact fee (thanks Georgia), tag and title fees. On the paperwork, the purchase price was the residual and the $10,500 was shown as a discount.

Joe6pack said:
My buyout offer came directly from NMAC. I wouldn't trust the dealer. I used Sutherlin Nissan at the Mall of GA since that is where I bought the car. They are a typical dealer, so watch out. You will probably have to pay a dealer doc fee and the tavt tax, the $200 EV impact fee (thanks Georgia), tag and title fees. On the paperwork, the purchase price was the residual and the $10,500 was shown as a discount.

Did you have to pay the $200 Georgia EV tax again? I just paid it when I renewed my tag for the lease and hoped it would be good for the year if I purchase the car.

So it looks like Nissan wants all of us to go through the dealers now? So even to get the discounts, if any, of your current lease, you have to go through that process from the start?

I called the sales guy that we got our 2015 S from and he reminded me that I have GAP insurance on it soo if there is an accident and it is totaled we just have to get another car as Nissan will accept the value the insurance will offer on it. that would not be the case if i owned it right now.. what do you guys think about that part. We didn't put anything down on the car, just payments.
Leased: April 2015
Mature: April 2018
15,000 miles per year.
balance: $17,000+

I see 2015 S going for $12500 in our area, which is lacking in Nissan Leafs.

For my 2015 S 24 month lease ending soon I was offered buy down of $4000 last month. That has been increased to $5000 now. My $15,200 residual translates to an out the door purchase of ~ $11,400. I contacted six dealers, including some in the smaller towns around Atlanta, and only received responses from two,

david30263 said:
For my 2015 S 24 month lease ending soon I was offered buy down of $4000 last month. That has been increased to $5000 now. My $15,200 residual translates to an out the door purchase of ~ $11,400. I contacted six dealers, including some in the smaller towns around Atlanta, and only received responses from two,

this is reason why I always select 3 year leases. better terms. I popped yesterday on an S30 and residual was $9100 and yes, I expect that to be less in 3 years. :)

Back