Simple Scheduled Maintenance Spreadsheet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Has anyone put together a simple spreadsheet or other document for scheduled maintenance? I know about this kind of thing: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

What I want is:

7500 miles Take in for inspection
15000 miles Take in for service
One year Take in for 12V battery inspection
Etc.

I'm hoping someone else has done this so that I don't have to do it myself.

Thanks.

I wouldn't take the leaf in for any inspection other than the 2 free battery inspections. Other than that, change the cabin filter, check brake pads, flush bake fluid every year or two.

^ ^ ^ THIS

There is an official maintenance schedule in the owner's manual if you're interested. I wouldn't pay for any "battery checks" unless you think you qualify for the 5yr/60k mile battery degradation/replacement warranty.

Okay, I guess I'll make the spreadsheet myself. I'll make the spreadsheet. This is the info I'll base it on (using Schedule 2):

Time-Based:
Take in for battery inspection each year (but only for the first two years).

Mileage-Based:
Every 7,500 miles: rotate tires, check brake pads
Every 30,000 miles: Flush brake fluid

Anything else?

Brake fluid is not mileage based!!

There is nothing to inspect on brake pads. They make metal scraping sound when they wear out.
Brakes can be periodically cleaned for best performance but inspection doesn't clean anything.

arnis said:

There is nothing to inspect on brake pads. They make metal scraping sound when they wear out.
Brakes can be periodically cleaned for best performance but inspection doesn't clean anything.

You inspect for dust build up, even wear, pad thickness, scoring/glazing on rotors, presence of sqeaks/clunks when applied, condition of the silicone brake grease on the caliper guides/slides/pins and condition of brake fluid. After inspection you remediate any issues that were found.

Annunciators tell you when you've basically waited too long and do not eliminated the need for brake maintenance. Since they are thin sheet metal tab they are known to get brittle and fail too.

arnis said:

Arnis, I think you made a typo in this post. Brake pads need to be check periodically to inspect for wear. Evidence of wear will tell you when it is time to install new pads... It is not a good practice to wait until your brake pads are worn and scraping the rotors. Changing brake pads before failure will only cost you the price of the pads, and you will not have to replace the rotors (if they are in good shape).

Also, to a great degree, changing brake fluid IS about 1/2 dependent on mileage, since the deterioration of the brake fluid also happens by the severe heating and cooling that the fluid undergoes in its lifetime. I have an 8 year old car with only 20K miles, and the fluid is still like new, with little water contamination.

powersurge said:
arnis said:

Arnis, I think you made a typo in this post. Brake pads need to be check periodically to inspect for wear. Evidence of wear will tell you when it is time to install new pads... It is not a good practice to wait until your brake pads are worn and scraping the rotors. Changing brake pads before failure will only cost you the price of the pads, and you will not have to replace the rotors (if they are in good shape).

Also, to a great degree, changing brake fluid IS about 1/2 dependent on mileage, since the deterioration of the brake fluid also happens by the severe heating and cooling that the fluid undergoes in its lifetime. I have an 8 year old car with only 20K miles, and the fluid is still like new, with little water contamination.

No type. Leaf is designed to squeak when pad is near end of usable life. Legal requirement.
Brake fluid is not 1/2 mileage based. It is mostly weather based as this ruins it much faster than usage. End of story. ESPECIALLY ON EV.

I bet every dealer wants to rip you for brake check each 7500mi. What kind of idiot will check for brake wear 3 times each year? Even during rotation? I would ever never do it. Even on ICE. But I should according to this spreadshiet.
Maybe brake wear is also 1/2 time dependent? Or you think brake wear is mileage dependent?

There is point to inspect 12V battery. It fails no matter what. As a preventive measure it can be recharged on 2011/12 Leafs.

It is the worst maintenance spreadsheet I've ever seen. Even worse than super-pessimistic OEM recommendation.

On a bonded brake pad once you are at the annunciator tab and its already squeaking the potential is that you have damaged the rotors enough to need turning. Bonded pads unfortunately are impacted by the bonding agent and cause more aggressive rotor wear when they get worn down so far that the spring tab rubs the rotor badly enough to make noise.

A Leaf being a limited range commuter car is usually driven less than 7,500 miles per years which is born out by the mileage listed on the used Leafs coming up for sale locally. Typically I am seeing 3 year lease vehicles with less than 20,000 miles on them with most in the 15,000 to 16,000 mile range.

In order to have to inspect a Leafs brakes three times a year at 7,500 mile intervals you would be driving 22,500 miles per year and since most are not charging at the 85th mile but more often at 35 or 50 miles one would be charging the car from 450 to over 600 times a year in order to drive 22,500 miles. If you did that only at fast chargers well the battery would probably not be doing very well but charging would take 225 to over 300 hours over the year while L2 charging since it averages out to 17/18 miles per hour of charging including balancing etc would take about 1,300 hours over the coarse of the year. If your commuting to work with the car which is its intended purpose that would be about a 102 miles per day commute (based on a 5 day work week with time off for vacations, sick days, holiday so 222 days per year). I do workforce capacity modeling and the formula we use is 52 * 5 days minus 10 sick days, 10 holidays, 15 vacation days and 3 personal days for a full time employee.

Anyways its only the exceptional Leaf owner that would be commuting over 100 miles per day and not the norm.

It will make noise before getting down to 0. Pads on Leaf can last to the end of warranty. Pads are different for 2011-12 and later.
I'm at 66600km and pads are not even half worn.

Okay, for my environment, Northcoast California, winter temp 55 degrees, summer 60 degrees, humid, with 14,462 miles per year (a long way to town), how often should I flush the brake fluid?

The regenerative brakes require an annual brake flush. You may or may no get away with cheating it and waiting two years however its cheating and rolling the dice. How lucky do you feel and how much is chancing a multi thousand dollar repair on the regenerative brake controller valve body and pump by skipping every other brake flush worth to you? Following the schedule for non-regenerative brakes would not be the best idea in the world.

Yes some will test the brake fluid in the reservoir with a test strip however that does not address the condition of the brake fluid in the control valve assemble or in each caliper.

RockyNv said:
The regenerative brakes require an annual brake flush. You may or may no get away with cheating it and waiting two years however its cheating and rolling the dice. How lucky do you feel and how much is chancing a multi thousand dollar repair on the regenerative brake controller valve body and pump by skipping every other brake flush worth to you? Following the schedule for non-regenerative brakes would not be the best idea in the world.

Yes some will test the brake fluid in the reservoir with a test strip however that does not address the condition of the brake fluid in the control valve assemble or in each caliper.
"Regenerative brakes" do not require flushing, as there is no fluid in "regenerative brakes". There are no "regenerative brakes" however there is regenerative braking. Similar to compression braking by downshifting slows the car, but there is no hardware called "compression brakes". Regenerative braking is basically the electric motor working backwards (not literally reverse gearing) to recoup energy and return it to the pack. Regenerative braking requires far less use of actual hydraulic brakes, which do require the occasional flush.

RockyNv said:

I almost want to ask: "who do you work for?" because it appears you intentionally try to confuse those who don't know stuff.
Please stop your project "Simple Scheduled Maintenance Spreadsheet" and continue with that after you acquire appropriate knowledge.
This appropriate knowledge requires at least few weeks of HARD work. So not going to happen next week.

"regenerative brake controller valve body" - very complex words for a thing that does not exist.

Even heavy brake use vehicle recommend brake fluid change once every 2 years.
Just checked Porsche maintenance schedule. What the heck is going on with such easy things :evil:

https://porschelangley.com/images/dealer_images/448/uploads/Maintenance_Intervals.pdf

arnis said:
RockyNv said:

I almost want to ask: "who do you work for?" because it appears you intentionally try to confuse those who don't know stuff.
Please stop your project "Simple Scheduled Maintenance Spreadsheet" and continue with that after you acquire appropriate knowledge.
This appropriate knowledge requires at least few weeks of HARD work. So not going to happen next week.

"regenerative brake controller valve body" - very complex words for a thing that does not exist.

Even heavy brake use vehicle recommend brake fluid change once every 2 years.
Just checked Porsche maintenance schedule. What the heck is going on with such easy things :evil:

https://porschelangley.com/images/dealer_images/448/uploads/Maintenance_Intervals.pdf

I was going to say similar to you. Just because you want to be cheap and ignore the published maintenance schedule for the Leaf you should not be endangering other peoples life and property by recommending that they take the same chances that you do.

The regenerative brakes in a full electric vehicle work a bit differently and use a different protocol/program than in a delivery truck or gasoline powered Porsche. What Porsche recommends for their cars and Ford recommends for their delivery trucks has little to do with how one should maintain the Leaf. I will follow the maintenance schedule published by the maker of my V10 10 Ton Superduty truck and will follow the schedule published by Nissan for the Leaf. I will temper this not on how cheaply I might be able to get away with it by cheating on the frequency of maintenance but on the severity of driving conditions and climate where I live.

Best practice is to recommend and follow the Safe Course especially if you are maintaining or impacting the maintenance of safety systems on other peoples vehicles.

Every combination ABS/ASC/ATC system has a brake pump and valve body as does the Regenerative ABS/ASC/ATC System on the Leaf. I view it as one system as it works in concert. If Nissan says flush it annually then flush it annually and not per someone who can't keep straight who he is talking too.

You did not even get it right who's maintenance schedule project this is as it is most definitely not mine.

Bottom line Nissan says per the maintenance manual (not just per my personal opinion) that per SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions) to replace the brake fluid annually. It does allow that if you do not regularly drive in the city and live in a temperate area and drive primarily on the highway that you could do it every 6 years per SCHEDULE 2 (less severe operating conditions). Where I live, daily one can experience the conditions described by the second bullet in SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions) while comparatively few would fall under the definition of SCHEDULE 2 so the Safe Course is to recommend following SCHEDULE 1 and be unwavering about it.

If you come away from this with only one thing that you should know about me and my firm resolves it should be this:
One does not compromise the safety of others to meet a budget, schedule or any other agenda.

Nissan Service Schedule Definitions for the Leaf:

"As a condition of your electric vehicle’s warranty, you are responsible for properly maintaining your electric
vehicle. In maintaining your electric vehicle, you should follow either Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 as listed
below. Use these guidelines to determine which maintenance schedule to use.

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions)
Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your electric vehicle under any
of these conditions:

* Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or
less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
* Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long dis-
tances
* Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
Using a car-top carrier

SCHEDULE 2 (less severe operating conditions)

Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile service intervals; with Schedule 2
fewer maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with
Schedule 1.
Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate
conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you primarily operate your electric
vehicle under conditions other than those listed in Schedule 1."

Firetruck41 said:
RockyNv said:

"Regenerative brakes" do not require flushing, as there is no fluid in "regenerative brakes". There are no "regenerative brakes" however there is regenerative braking. Similar to compression braking by downshifting slows the car, but there is no hardware called "compression brakes". Regenerative braking is basically the electric motor working backwards (not literally reverse gearing) to recoup energy and return it to the pack. Regenerative braking requires far less use of actual hydraulic brakes, which do require the occasional flush.

I am referring to the entire system as it all works in concert with the ABS/ATC/ASC controller, pump and valve body as one system with the regen. They have to be synchronized and programming put in place to support the hand offs between them.

Bottom line is - Do what the owners manual says for the service you drive under not what the most persistent or charismatic character on an internet chat forum says about rebelling against or defying it. If you are not the less common primarily highway driver in a temperate zone that never sees hot/cold weather, snow, mud, salt or city driving then follow SCHEDULE 2 in the Nissan Maintenance Manual otherwise follow SCHEDULE 1 and flush the brakes annually.

Can you analyze information you read?

* Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or
less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
* Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long dis-
tances
* Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
Using a car-top carrier
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles have what effect on Nissan Leaf?
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles have what effect on brakes?

Stop go traffic in hot weather has what to do with brakes?

Clearly can't notice that those are 100% ICE vehicle related problems.

REGEN is not even partly hydraulic and doesn't apply to anything besides software.
ABS/ESP brains calculate how much less will brake booster actuate. That's all.

Back