2014 build dates?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schleppy

Does anyone have any idea what build dates of 2014 Leafs received the newest battery chemistry? I live in the northeast and was hoping to score a used 2015 model with the options I want. I haven't been able to track any cars down. A 2014 SV did just pop up, and the build date is 2/10/14. Any chance this has the latest chemistry?

Thanks all!

I have a 2015 model that was built in 4/14 and it has the lizard pack. As far as I know all 2015 models have it. They only made 2014 cars for about half a year so there's not a ton on them. I doubt that any 2014 cars have lizard packs.

Hmm, so if this is a 2014 model year built 2/10/14, it stands to reason that this was a very late 2014 model, and it could potentially have newer chemistry?

Leaf 2014 build date range
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706&hilit=2014&start=200

Jan 2014 to April 2014

No chance at all of a variance in battery type in that short of a range. They specifically stopped production when the new pack type came out and started 2015 models a few weeks later.

On top of that the 2014 has to pay for the 2G to 3G radio upgrade and a 2015 gets it free.

dhanson865 said:

Jan 2014 to March 2014

No chance at all of a variance in battery type in that short of a range. They specifically stopped production when the new pack type came out and started 2015 models a few weeks later.

On top of that the 2014 has to pay for the 2G to 3G radio upgrade and a 2015 gets it free.

My Leaf S is a 2014 model, but has a 4/14 build date.
So, lizard pack?

craig said:
dhanson865 said:

Jan 2014 to March 2014

My Leaf S is a 2014 model, but has a 4/14 build date.
So, lizard pack?

Not likely to be a lizard pack unless it had a replacement pack put in after initial build.

Lizard packs announced here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17168 on Jun 27, 2014 and were stated to be only in MY2015 or newer cars.

Is it hot enough in northern UT to worry or do you travel further south a lot? My 2012 has a pack made in 2011 and I see 90s F on a regular basis. I'm down to 73% SOH after 55,000 miles and 60 months. I try to avoid charging when the battery pack is above 75F per leafspy but I'll charge at any temp if I need the charge to get to work or home.

schleppy said:
Does anyone have any idea what build dates of 2014 Leafs received the newest battery chemistry? I live in the northeast and was hoping to score a used 2015 model with the options I want. I haven't been able to track any cars down. A 2014 SV did just pop up, and the build date is 2/10/14. Any chance this has the latest chemistry?

Thanks all!
If you plan to keep the car in Beverly then I wouldn't worry about a lizard battery. My 2014 was built 1/14 and while it doesn't have the lizard battery we don't really have many lizards in Maine. ;) If you look at my battery specs in the signature you can see I have very little degradation.
How and where you'll use the car are just as important as condition or type of battery.
2 things I would do. Look for the newest car that works for you so the warranty lasts longer. And look at the health of the battery in that car. Discussions in this list indicate you can't trust the battery report the salesman may provide. Leafspy and a bluetooth adapter will be in my pocket if I shop for a used Leaf this summer.

Don't be discouraged by what you read about the early model years. 2014's and up had many of the early problems corrected.

Thanks IBeLeaf2! It should be doing 50 miles total five days per week. Mostly highway, with level 2 at work. I think I should be good to go.

I'm waiting for my OBD module to arrive so I can look at the battery stats on the used models I am looking at. Going to look at a nice 2014 on Friday, but the OBD tool won't be here until Tuesday. Damn.

In our climate, heat related degradation isn't an issue. Check the Carfax, if a car is imported here from a hotter region, then you're more likely to see degradation when you've got your LeafSpy. But even if a car has always been in MA, it might have been left at 100% for long periods in summer, so always good to check.

In your use case, if you can rely on the L2 at work, you'll be able to do highway speeds with all the heat you want, heat pump or not.

dhanson865 said:
Jan 2014 to April 2014
I always wondered about that date range, since my 2013 has a build date of Dec 2013.

Doesn't get 'Phoenix hot' here in northern Utah,but Summer temps will hover around the 90's for weeks at a time.
My 2014 was a two year lease end from Georgia. I bought it in October 2016 with 21k miles and 12 bars. Now have 25k and still 12 bars.
When I bought it the battery temp bars were always at 5 bars. With the cold temps it stays at 4, and once down to 3, when the outside temps were at about 0 degrees.
Isn't battery temp more important than outside temps?

Back