Why the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoogunman

I've been looking at these cars and a Chevy Volt. Given the nearly limitless number of problems I read on here, I am curious as to why anyone actually picked one of these up over another make/model EV. I'd still like to consider a Leaf given their ridiculously low used prices (under $9K in my area), but I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it on my possible car list (and I know that's subjective on each individual person, so don't get me wrong ;) )

Good morning. Limitless problems???. The leaf may be known for many things but unreliability and certainly limitless problems are not one of them...in my opinion. We did a lot of research before we bought ours and one of the reasons we went to the leaf is its reliability compared to every other EV. What problems are you referring to.

For us the main reasons were

1. Good seating for four adults and still a decent size trunk.
2. Price, even new with the 30KW battery we didn't find it expensive for what we get.
3. More than ample range for our needs.
4. Nice looking car and we love the colour we chose (crusis red)
5. We both like the performance of the car, ride, acceleration.

Everybody has different tastes. Pick something you like that suits your lifestyle.

Good luck in your quest. Safe travels.

John and Angela

I agree with webeleafowners, I looked at the Volt and while I really really wanted to have it work for me it just didn't. Mostly due to the very cramped cockpit seating, front and rear. I also didn't want the maintenance required with keeping an ICE onboard, more things to go wrong. True while the Leaf does have it's quirks most are small. My biggest issues would probably be it seems to wear the front outside tires much faster than the rest of the tire and I guess limited cold weather range, like 70 mile range in the summer can be down to 40 or less in the bitter cold. With work charging and 240v at home I'm able to get by even on the coldest days but cold effects the range far more than I originally thought. Other than that I have no real beefs and would buy one again, maybe not at $30k or closer to $22k with rebates and such but I probably would have waited until they were under $15k as a lease return. It's the reason I bought my second, a 12SL for ~$7500, true it was missing a couple bars and has far less range than my '13 but I still feel it was a good buy. Although in hindside I'd have probably waited for a '13 as IMO Nissan really fixed some of the early model quirks in '13 and they also have a better battery vs '12.
Hanging around forums your going to mostly read problems, most satisfied people don't have as much to say as dissatisfied people, just the nature of things, if the range works for you I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Leaf in the least.

tattoogunman said:
I've been looking at these cars and a Chevy Volt. Given the nearly limitless number of problems I read on here, I am curious as to why anyone actually picked one of these up over another make/model EV.
I have no idea where you get the idea of the Leaf having "limitless number of problems". Leaf reliability is actually fairly decent. Currently in Consumer Reports, every single model year of Leaf has a better reliability record than the same model year of Volt (except for the '16 where there's insufficient Leaf data). The current predicted reliability rating of the Leaf is better than average vs. much worse than average for the Volt, mainly due to Gen 2 Volt.

Please name some other EV that's more reliable than the Leaf.

If you want to see problems, monitor https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/ and look for i3 REx problems, excluding flat tires and minor issues like rattles.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations? A Leaf may not meet your needs anyway.

Different EV/PHEV serve different people with different goals. I'm in metro southern California where there's traffic congestion on the freeways throughout about 8 out of 24 hours. Most of my driving is done within a 20mi range, about once a week we will drive 50mi one-way, and we take about 4 road-trips a year. I have a 16 year old VW TDI that I use for most drives beyond 10mi and I'm strongly considering a used 2013 Leaf for my local driving.

For my purposes, I don't think I could be happy with a Leaf for my sole vehicle but it will be a welcomed addition as a supplemental car. Right now I'm borrowing my friend's Ford C-Max Energi while he's out of town. The 20mi EV range, aggressive regenerative braking, and the 16 gallon fuel tank would make for a decent replacement for both the Leaf and my TDI…but I just don't love it enough to go that route.

Availability is the biggest reason. Besides the Tesla, the Leaf is the only "50 state*" BEV currently on the market. Others are only available in only certain states (VW eGolf for example is limited to just 11 states) or even certain cities (just 19 metropolitan areas in the case of the Ford Focus Electric). The Bolt will eventually be sold all over the country but at the moment sales are limited to California and a few other states due to limited availability.

So unless you live in California and a few CARB-following states, the Leaf is the only affordable new BEV choice unless you want to travel out of state to buy one (and risk having to go all the way back for warranty repairs or even routine servicing). One could even argue that the Tesla is technically not a 50-state car since a few states have specifically outlawed its sales model.

As far as a comparison with the Volt, the Leaf is much more comfortable to get in/out of; low rooflines are great for aerodynamics and modern styling trends, not so much for Boomer and early GenX spines. Getting in the rear seat especially is a chore, again due to the low roofline. The Leaf can also seat 5 in a pinch; 2nd gen Volt has a center rear position that is useless for anybody taller than about 3 feet, and the 1st gen Volt has no center rear seat at all, due to the intrusion of the center hump.

*technically 50 state availability, but Alaska's only two Nissan dealers are not Leaf-certified

Also, since the OP brought up Volt, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=267884#p267884 had a brief comparison of the Rav4 EV, Leaf and Volt. That poster had the misfortune of discovering the horrible '11 and '12 Leaf battery degradation in Phoenix, before there was a capacity warranty.

Re: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/ and look for i3 REx problems, excluding flat tires and minor issues like rattles, an hour ago, I just spotted a post by a guy stating in less than 24 hours (since last time in the shop), he's getting a "fuel system malfunction message" and he can't open the fuel door. I looked thru some of his recent posts there and there was one from Dec 21st he got "check drivetrain" message, so it's been sitting at the dealer for 2 days. On the 27th, he posted "They had to change the whole range extender, generator and all the wiring around for my drive train failure message. $4300 worth of repairs lasting over a week."

The above is a '14 i3 REx, supposedly certified for $25K.

One reply to the fuel system malfunction guy was one person who said he had the same prob 2 weeks ago.

If you monitor the above group, you'll probably see on average at least 1 significant new problem report a day (e.g. check engine light, restraint system malfunction, drivetrain malfunction, major problem requiring a flatbed truck, etc.), almost all of which are the REx version. That group has under 10K members vs. over 18K here.

webeleafowners said:
Good morning. Limitless problems???. The leaf may be known for many things but unreliability and certainly limitless problems are not one of them...in my opinion. We did a lot of research before we bought ours and one of the reasons we went to the leaf is its reliability compared to every other EV. What problems are you referring to.

For us the main reasons were

1. Good seating for four adults and still a decent size trunk.
2. Price, even new with the 30KW battery we didn't find it expensive for what we get.
3. More than ample range for our needs.
4. Nice looking car and we love the colour we chose (crusis red)
5. We both like the performance of the car, ride, acceleration.

Everybody has different tastes. Pick something you like that suits your lifestyle.

Good luck in your quest. Safe travels.

John and Angela

Most of my information is coming from this board and I've also read about the battery issues on other car sites as well. I came *real* close to picking up a used one a few months ago and pretty much everyone on here that responded to my posts told me to run away from the car due to the known battery problems. I found a '14 CPO one here locally for around $8500 and even on that one people have told me the second generation cars are having significant problems as well. This is sort of why I was wondering why so many people are buying them if they are as problematic as they (supposedly) are. I have found that I get better information via car boards from actual owners than I do from mainstream media sites, so I trust these types of boards more. I'd be happy to find out these aren't as problematic as I have been lead to believe as there are tons of them available in my area for under $9K which is realistically where I need to be at price wise to get out of my current car ;) I'll update my profile, but I'm in Texas where we deal with high temps most of the year and that was another reason why many people told me to avoid this car because it doesn't have a temperature regulated battery like the Volt and some other cars do. And yes, I've heard about the i3 ;)

I'm also aware that boards can tend to be havens for people who do not like the product, but I have found that they are usually balanced out by positives - at least all of the boards that I've been frequenting for over 20 years for the various vehicles I've owned anyway. As an example, I currently have a Fiat 500 and the one main board for the car is usually full of people with problems, but they're usually balanced by those of us who have had no problems, etc.

As for needs - I'm a born again college student in my 40's who generally commutes about 20 miles round trip everyday with a few side trips included (picking up the kids from school, going to work, etc.). All of my side trips are within a five mile radius of where we live, so the range on these cars would be ideal for the distances that I drive. I rarely have to get on the freeway for anything and when/if I do, I'm usually not going very far. We generally use my wife's hybrid for chore purposes, so my Fiat is only serving to get me to school and back, go to work, etc. The one major hiccup I am encountering is that my Fiat is so darned economical as it is that I'm having a hard time justifying getting out of it besides the desire for something new, the fact that it is hemorrhaging value (currently sitting at like $3500 for my 2012 with 40K miles on it), etc. I average around 34 to 38mpg as it is and a tank of gas usually lasts me about a month. I figured I could go even more green by going EV, but I really wouldn't be saving a whole lot of money. I do my own maintenance on my cars as well and again, my Fiat has been so cheap to own/operate I wouldn't be saving a whole heck of a lot of money. I figure I would save a few bucks in gas, not sure on insurance, I'd save a few bucks on emission testing, and I'd save some money on normal maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc.).

tattoogunman said:
I found a '14 CPO one here locally for around $8500 and even on that one people have told me the second generation cars are having significant problems as well. This is sort of why I was wondering why so many people are buying them if they are as problematic as they (supposedly) are.

I'll update my profile, but I'm in Texas where we deal with high temps most of the year and that was another reason why many people told me to avoid this car because it doesn't have a temperature regulated battery like the Volt and some other cars do. And yes, I've heard about the i3 issues ;)
Source of "second generation cars are having significant problems as well"? I wouldn't call any current Leaf "2nd generation". At best, I'd call the 2013+ a 1.5 generation or so and bigger batteries began w/the 30 kWh '16 SV and SL (and later the "S 30").

I don't think most people here have the impression that Leafs are as "problematic" as you think they are. Looking at current CR reliability ratings on the Leaf, '11 and '15 are much better than average, '12 thru '14 are better than average. '16 insufficient info and new car prediction is better than average. The ratings there reflect a 12-month period. See http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/10/consumer-reports-car-reliability-faq/index.htm.

Used Leafs are cheap. But w/any used car, esp. after warranties expire, there's always the risk of something expensive failing.

Since you're in TX, maybe you might want one w/a the "lizard" battery (model year 2015+) or get one that will lose 4 capacity bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty is up, so that it's replaced w/the "lizard" battery.

cwerdna said:
tattoogunman said:
I found a '14 CPO one here locally for around $8500 and even on that one people have told me the second generation cars are having significant problems as well. This is sort of why I was wondering why so many people are buying them if they are as problematic as they (supposedly) are.

I'll update my profile, but I'm in Texas where we deal with high temps most of the year and that was another reason why many people told me to avoid this car because it doesn't have a temperature regulated battery like the Volt and some other cars do. And yes, I've heard about the i3 issues ;)
Source of "second generation cars are having significant problems as well"? I wouldn't call any current Leaf "2nd generation". At best, I'd call the 2013+ a 1.5 generation or so and bigger batteries began w/the 30 kWh '16 SV and SL (and later the "S 30").

I don't think most people here have the impression that Leafs are as "problematic" as you think they are. Looking at current CR reliability ratings on the Leaf, '11 and '15 are much better than average, '12 thru '14 are better than average. '16 insufficient info and new car prediction is better than average. The ratings there reflect a 12-month period. See http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/10/consumer-reports-car-reliability-faq/index.htm.

Used Leafs are cheap. But w/any used car, esp. after warranties expire, there's always the risk of something expensive failing.

Since you're in TX, maybe you might want one w/a the "lizard" battery (model year 2015+) or get one that will lose 4 capacity bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty is up, so that it's replaced w/the "lizard" battery.

It was someone on here, I'd have to dig up the link to the discussion. I did just find a '14 CPO (full warranty) for $8500 locally, but again, I am/was hesitant because of what I've read on here. So the '15 model year was the first one for the "lizard" battery I have heard about?

Thanks, keep the posts coming.

tattoogunman said:
So the '15 model year was the first one for the "lizard" battery I have heard about?
Yes. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168

Some here have claimed that some late '14s have the lizard battery, but I wouldn't count on it. There could be 0 of them. '14 was a short model year.

cwerdna said:
tattoogunman said:
So the '15 model year was the first one for the "lizard" battery I have heard about?
Yes. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168

Some here have claimed that some late '14s have the lizard battery, but I wouldn't count on it. There could be 0 of them. '14 was a short model year.

Thanks

Now to address the battery issue question again, even on this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706 with people with the "lizard" battery they seem to be having problems. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I just don't want to invest in this car and then have a 7 bar car six months to a year later ;)

I would not say the Leaf has a lot of problems, or limitless problems, in fact after being on this board and owning a Leaf for 1.5 yrs, I would say there is only one pervasive problem. But it is a big one, range degradation. Besides that it is basically trouble free and extremely reliable. If range degradation didn't exist, I would say it would definitely be in the running for most reliable, maintenance free vehicle ever made. But range degradation is a pretty big deal for many prospective owners...

tattoogunman said:
Now to address the battery issue question again, even on this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706 with people with the "lizard" battery they seem to be having problems. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I just don't want to invest in this car and then have a 7 bar car six months to a year later ;)
Hello tattoogunman,
I have had a 13SL for almost a year. I have paid a lot attention to Battery Temp. That is the key to managing range degradation.

So, do you have a garage to park the car in?? You are hot enough it Texas that if your car is out in the sun you might have a problem, but you are not any where near as hot as Phoenix. If you are pulling into a garage then that will bee a cooler space and the car will cool overnight so that you would be OK.

The Battery is now warranted for 5 years/ 60,000 miles. If it drops below 9 bars you get a new Lizard Battery under that warrantee. So your worry over a 7 bar car six months to a year later is in founded.

By the way, I love my leaf and have never had a problem.

Thanks,
Dan

TomT said:
Well, assuming that you don't include the battery in that equation... :)

cwerdna said:
Please name some other EV that's more reliable than the Leaf.
Well... as I've posted before, I don't consider degradation to be a reliability issue. The battery still works. The car's propulsion is still functional for normal driving but unfortunately, the '11 and '12 Leaf batteries failed to make it anywhere close to the claims of remaining capacity at the 10 year mark for virtually everyone, if not everyone.

The Leaf batteries, well the entire pack, seem actually a lot more reliable than packs in the Model S of the first few years. Plenty of folks on "TMC" had their packs swapped out for various reasons (e.g. contactor, some other (?) failure in the pack, etc.) I don't frequent "TMC" much anymore but it seems those specific issues are under control now.

This forum generally does not have any threads of the "I love my trouble free LEAF" variety. People post on here to solve problems. I bought a 2015SV in May and have put about 12,000 miles on it in the past 7 months. I have had one warranty problem and otherwise just have had trouble free, ultra cheap or free fueled travel. I recently got the 3g update to the TCU and have much better access to the remote climate control, which I like.

With your short 20 mile range requirement, even a 4 bar loser would work fine for you. You should be able to do all your charging at home, unless you are in an apartment where that would be difficult. I like having my fueling only taking 20 seconds a day (10 to plug in, 10 to unplug the next day) instead of 10 minutes or so of going out of my way to a stinky gas station to pump gas.

tattoogunman said:
webeleafowners said:
Good morning. Limitless problems???. The leaf may be known for many things but unreliability and certainly limitless problems are not one of them...in my opinion. We did a lot of research before we bought ours and one of the reasons we went to the leaf is its reliability compared to every other EV.
John and Angela

Most of my information is coming from this board and I've also read about the battery issues on other car sites as well.

As for needs - I'm a born again college student in my 40's who generally commutes about 20 miles round trip everyday with a few side trips included (picking up the kids from school, going to work, etc.). All of my side trips are within a five mile radius of where we live, so the range on these cars would be ideal for the distances that I drive. I rarely have to get on the freeway for anything and when/if I do, I'm usually not going very far. ... I figured I could go even more green by going EV, but I really wouldn't be saving a whole lot of money. I do my own maintenance on my cars as well and again, my Fiat has been so cheap to own/operate I wouldn't be saving a whole heck of a lot of money. I figure I would save a few bucks in gas, not sure on insurance, I'd save a few bucks on emission testing, and I'd save some money on normal maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc.).

Twenty miles round trip, and there's a question about the LEAF's "limitless problems?"

I had if not the worst, right there within a few percent, battery degradation of any LEAF, losing 7 capacity bars and I think it was just about ready to lose one more at just under 60K miles. The dealership where it sat out in the Florida sun at 100% charge for almost a year destroyed the long-term life of the battery.

But even at 5 remaining capacity bars, I still was able to go 26 miles before Low Battery Warning, and it should have been good for a few more until Turtle Mode, which I never had. True, I had to drive slower, about 48 mph, but I'd still get where I was going in just about the same amount of time, since of course I wasn't going very far. :D

As some may know, I had a Prius before the LEAF, but instead of selling the Prius, we added the LEAF. I know I should have announced it over on the Prius forum, but that's another story. I really wanted a Toyota EV, the Prius is spectacular, but Toyota squandered their massive lead in battery technology and EV driving, and Toyota wouldn't make one. I wouldn't buy the Volt, first because of GM and the EV1, the Cobasys NiMH battery controversy, and they refused, even while in bankruptcy, to allow me to buy 10K worth of batteries to get the S10EV that I owned going again. The Volt also requires the same maintenance, oil changes, antifreeze, etc., and as I do my own maintenance too, I got tired of laying under a car every three or four months, and then having to go to recycle the old oil. The Volt is also has very small passenger seating, especially in the back seat, whereas the LEAF can sit 5, and we have done that on a few occasions. Now too, it is a three or four times per year trip to the gas station, to keep the Prius going of course, but it is very embarrassing driving the LEAF there and filling up a couple of gas cans. One guy asked if I did yard maintenance.

And, while specifically because of Tony Williams and the Phoenix Dozen, who pointed out the obvious many years ago, and although it took a court case to do it, Nissan did settle the case and provide a less than fair but better than nothing battery warranty, and I was able to get the degraded originally battery replaced at no charge under warranty.

And even going forward, where the LEAF, and other EVs will show their true economic benefit, even spending $5K or so for a new battery, you've then got an essentially new car, good for another 6 or 8 or 10 years. Maybe it will even be possible to keep it going with a third or fourth battery replacement? No new car depreciation, the biggest expense with a car. No higher insurance on an expensive new car, and most enjoyable, no going to a dealership where they turn what should be an enjoyable experience into a nightmare of attempted ripoffs. (Two quick examples, one where a Ford dealership in Orlando had agreed to a price after several hours of negotiations, came with the contract to sign, and "accidentally misread" and turned a "3" into an "8" and if I hadn't caught it would have added another $500, and at a now defunct Ford dealership in Tampa, where I was buying a diesel F250, everything was set up again, just needing to sign the contract and pay, but I decided to have one last look as it was there overnight, opened the hood and the giant space where the second battery should be was empty, the'd taken it out overnight, then they tried to say it should only have one, which of course was a lie.) And, as others have said, nobody else was selling an EV in Florida.

There was too, even buying it in 2012, a certain happiness of being an early adopter, as we enjoyed back in 2004 - 2005 when we got the Prius and joined the small number at that time driving one. It was also a bit enjoyable to be able to drive while gas was $4 or $5 per gallon, the roads were empty, and people had stopped saying how stupid it had been to pay a "hybrid premium" for the Prius. What are the odds of gasoline being that expensive again? I don't know, but I'm ready when/if it happens.

So why the LEAF? I would say, why an ICE vehicle?

As another detail, even a Prius, driving it only 10 miles one way and shutting it off, will probably get only 38 mpg or go. Maybe a PIP would do better, but they're expensive from what I've heard, and by that point, once again, I'd say why an ICE vehicle.

My reference to limitless problems mainly stemmed from what I have read about the battery issues (and not just on here). Given that the battery is basically the heart of the car, I'd say it losing capacity as quick as it seems to have (for some people at least) is a rather significant problem in my eyes. It's like telling someone they would have to replace their gasoline engine every three years and to just chalk it up to wear and tear (as a bad example).

However, given what you guys are now telling me, maybe it's nowhere near as bad as I had been led to believe. There was a CPO 14 that I found locally, but its been sold. I have since found several more 14's and 15's locally and they are all under $8K and all have under 23K miles on them - I'm probably going to go check them out next week, especially as they would all still have most of their factory warranties left ;)

tattoogunman said:
I've been looking at these cars and a Chevy Volt. Given the nearly limitless number of problems I read on here, I am curious as to why anyone actually picked one of these up over another make/model EV. I'd still like to consider a Leaf given their ridiculously low used prices (under $9K in my area), but I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it on my possible car list (and I know that's subjective on each individual person, so don't get me wrong ;) )

I think that if you go to the website or chat group for any EV (or any product at all), you will find a lot of emphasis on the perceived problems . People who have no problems do not get online and say how happy they are (well, mostly they don't), but folks with problems are pretty vocal. This can lead to a perceived lack of reliability that is not accurate.

Back