Trickle charge timer.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

A half hour search yielded nothing. A mechanical timer, installed by the electrician who put in a dedicated l20 volt line into my garage, stopped after two years. It cost about $40. I would prefer a digital timer which should be easier to set. His supplier has one for $189! A search of Amazon showed 20 amp timers in the $30 to $40 range (like theDefiant 20-amp 7-day 7-event In-wall Digital Timer for $40). Any reason for not using the Amazon units?

Switching an EVSE's input supply on and off while the EVSE is connected to the car is Bad Medicine. Yes, the overall EVSE+car system should take it, as unpredicted power outages do happen. But, depending on how many corners the EVSE cuts, it's a risky proposition.

I don't understand the reason for your advice. I couldn't find a warning in the manual. The manual addresses the use of internal timers in some leaf versions. There are a multitude of forum postings on the use of timers both internal and external. I have used a timer for two years with no obvious problems. What are your sources supporting your statement that timers are dangerous?

Dangerous? I don't know, but a timer is potentially switching off a full load. At least when it turns on the EVSE power the car wakes up and it starts the call for power and starts sending it. My guess is the large load from the EVSE switching off is what caused it to fail.

If your using the regular evse that came with the car technically any timer rated at 20A 120VAC should work, for how long is the question. I don't understand though why you wouldn't just use the timer on the car?

Back