Last Week before End of 5 year period - Any options?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkhilles

Hi guys, I'm a recent owner of a 2012 Nissan Leaf SV in North GA/Chattanooga TN area that I purchased super cheap from someone that is now my daily commuter. You may have seen my references to starting MyEVStats.com which I'm using to store and analyze whomever wants to send me data (just set the Server API in LeafSpy Pro to "api.myevstats.com").

Given the deal I got, I have no reason to expect anything free, but I'd LOVE to be able to get the range higher to increase the options for where I can drive my family around in the vehicle.

The current status of the vehicle is that its at 9 bars and holding steady at around 43.81 aHr.

So, it comes down to this. Sunday marks the end of the magic 5 year period and I wanted to see if there's anything I should do prior to that period to maybe help get a discount on a replacement battery. I know that it's hit or miss and my assumption is that there's nothing I can do until that 9th bar drops, but I won't get this opportunity again to be under the 5 year period, so I figured I'd reach out and get some recommendations.

Is it worth visiting the dealer this week? Anything I could say or do?

Thanks!

Nope, nothing to do.

You are *that* close to losing that 9th bar.
There is at least some chance than Nissan will start a new assistance program for people just out of warranty with a degraded battery so in your shoes I would hang tight and keep your fingers crossed. If no help is forthcoming by 2019 you could consider just buying a replacement batttery since they ~ last a good 4 years even in the southern US if babied a bit and that is not much more than $125 a month.

Call on the day before the replacement expires, then book your appointment a month out because you're "going to be out of the country", then try your best to ruin it. CQ when it's hot, leave it charged at 100%, all that good stuff.--Worth a shot...

Thanks guys, good thoughts. I was surprised at looking at the Leaf log at how the estimated aHr actually hasn't dropped AT ALL in the month since I've owned it even after pushing it hard to VLBW warning. I know that for large companies with large cost items like this that they aren't going to do more than they legally are required to do, but if I could have Nissan cover 70%+ of the battery cost, I'd think that'd be a great win-win for both parties.

davewill said:
Go on a continuous road trip from now until the day, and hope the bar drops.

I'd combine this with Leftiebiker's suggestion. Drive to death valley (QC as often as possible, and haul a gas generator to keep going where there's no QC nor L2), then park it there!

Or maybe not.

I wouldn't expect non-warranty consideration for a car that I'd only owned for a month. To my way of thinking your discount was reflected in the "super cheap" purchase price of the used car.

My car did the same thing as the anniversary approached cause I bought my car in March and that is when the weather starts warming up. So I had hope, but as the weather warmed the car went from 42ahr to 44ahr and I knew my chance was shot. Took all the way until a few weeks ago to finally get down to the point of losing the 4th bar. I dont think there is much you can do to hasten it unless you basically put it in an oven.

I remember reading threads where people got some assistance with replacing a battery after the warranty period. I think the people who were successful had all of their maintenance records with the dealer though. I would call the dealer or Nissan and ask this question.

I doubt they'll be very sympathetic since you're not the original owner.

webb14leafs said:
I remember reading threads where people got some assistance with replacing a battery after the warranty period. I think the people who were successful had all of their maintenance records with the dealer though. I would call the dealer or Nissan and ask this question.

I doubt they'll be very sympathetic since you're not the original owner.

Yeah, probably not, but I have to try or I'll regret not trying forever. I'll be nice and polite and ask and will only request that THEY ask. If Nissan says "no", then no problem. It's my commuter car and I have an average of about 11 miles left on the battery at the end of the day and have inconvienent, but available charging stations around if I can't make it home otherwise.

As I mentioned, I think a discount would work well for both Nissan and me, but I'll leave it up to them.

joeriv said:
The out-of-warranty program has been discontinued, according to others who have tried. Give them a call and see what the response is.

That's what the response I got from chatting with them, although I wasn't surprised as I didn't think there was ever an official out-of-warranty plan other than that monthly charge option they had awhile back.

Is there a thread of recent attempts?

It's my commuter car and I have an average of about 11 miles left on the battery at the end of the day and have inconvienent, but available charging stations around if I can't make it home otherwise.

I hope you find some more convenient charging locations because that 11 miles will go away in a year or so. Especially in the Winter.

I'm personally hoping that a 3rd party can develop a 30kW retrofit battery pack for my '14 S in the next few years. Not very confident about it, but not outside the realm of possibility.

webb14leafs said:
It's my commuter car and I have an average of about 11 miles left on the battery at the end of the day and have inconvienent, but available charging stations around if I can't make it home otherwise.

I hope you find some more convenient charging locations because that 11 miles will go away in a year or so. Especially in the Winter.

I'm personally hoping that a 3rd party can develop a 30kW retrofit battery pack for my '14 S in the next few years. Not very confident about it, but not outside the realm of possibility.
Now that AESC is out of Nissan's ownership perhaps the chance is improved. No more conflict of interest trying to sell you a new Nissan.

webb14leafs said:

In terms of Winter, the answer is "perhaps". Keep in mind that I'm talking about North GA here, so currently 11 mile leftover range is with 90 degree temps out (in freaking Fall!). I'm still hoping that it'll make it for most of the winter, but I guess I'll find out when I either run out of power on the side of the road or start hitting up charging stations. Either way, that's okay as the Leaf isn't able to achieve what I'd need to comfortably do all scenarios, but given the price I paid (which was only $2600 more than my 18 year old Miata needing brake work, new top and some TLC) I'm good with it. Now, if I was still making huge payments on it after buying it new, well, that's different...

Now that AESC is out of Nissan's ownership perhaps the chance is improved. No more conflict of interest trying to sell you a new Nissan.

Exactly!! That's why I have a glimmer of hope. Of course, by then it might be more economical to buy a used Gen 2. I wouldn't pay for a battery replacement to extend the life of my current car unless it 1 - was at least 30kWh, and 2 - it was $3000 or less.

Sorry for getting completely off topic.

Back