Anybody else getting SHOCKED?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWBD

OK, about 50% of the time I get out of the car, I am getting a static spark on either my hand or my leg, whichever touches the door first as I open it. Is anybody else getting this? It's so minor that it's not painful or anything, but I have never noticed anything like it with any other car.

WWBD said:
OK, about 50% of the time I get out of the car, I am getting a static spark on either my hand or my leg, whichever touches the door first as I open it. Is anybody else getting this? It's so minor that it's not painful or anything, but I have never noticed anything like it with any other car.

Funny you should mention that. What you mention in particular is not happening to me, but what is happening is that I'm getting a static shock when I get close to inserting my mailbox key (which sits in the center console) to the mailbox lock. And it's even happening on days when there is little airborne static, so it's gotta be coming from the car. I suspect the seating surfaces, and bet it wouldn't happen if we were able to have leather. ;)

Yep, the car is shocking... literally. I feel that it is the plastic in the seat material that is causing the static build-up. I have sat in the car just to adjust a charging timer or something and when I got out I got shocked again.

OK, since this could scare a lot of people who aren't comfortable with electrical concepts, let's be perfectly clear; we're talking STATIC electricity here, the result of sliding in and out of the car seat, not something dangerous about the car itself. The seat fabric and what you're wearing and how humid it is all influence how much static gets generated.

-Karl

Don't have my LEAF yet, but I get shocked every time I get out of my Subaru when grab the door to close it. If I hold the door frame while getting out it's OK as that lets any static build up dissipate.

More common with LRR tires. You could get one of those "ground straps" to drag under the car if it's an issue.

Skywagon said:
Yep, the car is shocking... literally. I feel that it is the plastic in the seat material that is causing the static build-up. I have sat in the car just to adjust a charging timer or something and when I got out I got shocked again.

Skywagon,

Try this link out for some static safety tips.....

http://www.howcast.com/videos/307292-How-To-Avoid-Static-Electricity

In Arizona we don't wear polyester except for folks in Sun City so Step #1 is done.
Step # 5 looks promising if you don't mind the fragrance of dryer sheets all over your recycled seats.
Step # 6 doesn't apply at all but may be worth mentioning when you plug in the EVSE.

Experiment a bit and report back to the rest of us before you all acquire some negative behavioral reflex.
I'm hoping this is just a "Dry Environmental" issue.

Good Luck

Perhaps the tires have less carbon black and are less conductive so static electricity builds up. This happens with gas powered cars of course. Static build up can be fixed by installing a grounding strap, a rubber strip that has metal that moves static charges to the ground.

mwalsh said:
Funny you should mention that. What you mention in particular is not happening to me, but what is happening is that I'm getting a static shock when I get close to inserting my mailbox key (which sits in the center console) to the mailbox lock. And it's even happening on days when there is little airborne static, so it's gotta be coming from the car. I suspect the seating surfaces, and bet it wouldn't happen if we were able to have leather. ;)

Don't you close your car door with a pinky finger in the cup holder part or something? That might be why it's not happening to you.

Carlos said:
Skywagon said:

Skywagon,

Try this link out for some static safety tips.....

http://www.howcast.com/videos/307292-How-To-Avoid-Static-Electricity

In Arizona we don't wear polyester except for folks in Sun City so Step #1 is done.
Step # 5 looks promising if you don't mind the fragrance of dryer sheets all over your recycled seats.
Step # 6 doesn't apply at all but may be worth mentioning when you plug in the EVSE.

Experiment a bit and report back to the rest of us before you all acquire some negative behavioral reflex.
I'm hoping this is just a "Dry Environmental" issue.

Good Luck

Yeah, I pretty much have it figured out. The plastic fiber seats are building the static electricity by getting in and out of the car and I wear rubber soled (hiking type) shoes most of the time. I tried some leather shoes this week and did not get static shocked at all. I just deal with it.

I guess it's a good thing you guys don't have to get gas.

(If you watch this video, repeat quietly, "Doot-da-doot-da-doot-da-doo,"
while it plays.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

Do you think it's necessary to note that THIS IS NOT A LEAF?

The big mistake here was getting back into and then exiting the car during
the fueling process.

My wife bought a Chevy Trailblazer with cloth (synthetic) seats back in 2002 and I get a hefty static shock every time I get out of the car. So it really has nothing to do with the fact the Leaf is an EV and everything to do with the material of the car seats.

I have learned to simply touch my elbow to the door post each time I stand up after getting out of the car. elbows have many fewer nerve ends than fingers do so it doesn't even register much anymore now that I've learned to make a habit of it.

Just a suggestion.

Cool - this will prevent my wife from stealing the car - she really hates the static we keep getting from our cars now.

Rokeby said:
I guess it's a good thing you guys don't have to get gas.

(If you watch this video, repeat quietly, "Doot-da-doot-da-doot-da-doo,"
while it plays.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

Do you think it's necessary to note that THIS IS NOT A LEAF?

The big mistake here was getting back into and then exiting the car during
the fueling process.

This is even more freakish and scary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSbFjK_gnY

Thankfully it will never happen with a Leaf.

That first youtube video is the first I'd ever seen of the phenomenon. But those static fires do start at gas stations. Here's an interesting fact: the vast majority of those fires are started with women at the pump. Why? Because women tend to get back into their cars while the gas is pumping, while men stand around outside.

Ok, sounds like the Leafs a regular "van de Graf" generator, who's going to be first to figure out how to use those static Zaps the recharge the battery? :). Of course with all of the cost of the circuitry needed, and you Would't get much distance, it's pointless.

mitch672 said:
Ok, sounds like the Leafs a regular "van de Graf" generator, who's going to be first to figure out how to use those static Zaps the recharge the battery? :). Of course with all of the cost of the circuitry needed, and you Would't get much distance, it's pointless.
You think the LEAF is bad, Mitch, you should get a "Tesla" :

http://clouddragon.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/our-world-has-been-invented-by-tesla/

Back