Anybody else getting SHOCKED?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WWBD said:
OK, about 50% of the time I get out of the car, I am getting a static spark on either my hand or my leg, whichever touches the door first as I open it. Is anybody else getting this? It's so minor that it's not painful or anything, but I have never noticed anything like it with any other car.
I was dreading this and having a confirmation of how bad it can be is already making me a little jumpy. I absolutely hate getting shocked and seem to be more susceptible to it that most others. I was getting shocked by every car I exited until I got my Miata with leather seats (no choice, it was part of the package). I never get shocked in my Miata and I was a little bummed that leather seats were not an option for the Leaf (there was a whole other thread on that). That it's something you haven't had happen before makes me worry that I am going to be producing large arcs every time I get out of the car :(

Every car I've ever owned has been a winter shock zone - from the 1977 VW Rabbit to the Jetta and Passat, the Saturn SL1 and VUE, and Pontiac Vibe. It's not the Leaf or the recycled seats.

Once we're out of winter and the humidity increases a bit the sparks will stop. One can spray the seats with an anti-static product as well.

Try some of those static guard or scottch guard sprays. They could help or even find a small ion generator that plugs in the power port?

This happens all the time with our Honda Odyssey, but hardly ever with my Toyota 4Runner, so it does seem that the construction of the vehicle has something to do with it.

I am using car seat with heat and massage since it was xmas present. So no issues but static issues I get rarely due to high humidy I have

I've had static shocks from various cars depending on weather conditions; sometimes the arc was downright painful!

The way to mitigate this is to grasp something metallic, such as a keyring, etc, bring it next to an exposed metal or chrome body piece, and let the spark jump between the two bits of metal, then bring both metal pieces into contact for a split second. It's a painless way to equalize the charges.

mwalsh said:
BTW, I just noticed this last week that I'm no longer getting shocked by car when getting out. It must have just been a "new LEAF" thing. Either that or my body has built up a tolerance. :lol:

When this thread resurfaced this morning, I had the same thought: I'm not getting shocked anymore either!! :mrgreen:

Jimmydreams said:
mwalsh said:
BTW, I just noticed this last week that I'm no longer getting shocked by car when getting out. It must have just been a "new LEAF" thing. Either that or my body has built up a tolerance. :lol:

When this thread resurfaced this morning, I had the same thought: I'm not getting shocked anymore either!! :mrgreen:

+1...only happened the first couple of weeks that I had the car....now nothing :p .

same for me, then went away. I wear pretty much consistent clothing (jeans and a shirt are standard fare) and have scotch-guarded my seats, shoes all have rubber soles of some sort.

is it the weather?

JasonT said:
That it's something you haven't had happen before makes me worry that I am going to be producing large arcs every time I get out of the car :(

I used to get shocked getting out of cars, until I got in the habit of touching the car frame before stepping out. Just touch some metal part of the car (I usually go for the side of the door opening with my left hand) as you stand up.

MsLusty said:
I used to get shocked getting out of cars, until I got in the habit of touching the car frame before stepping out.
Yeah, I've had the car for 8 days now and I'm already in the habit of placing my leg against the frame as I get out. ::sigh:: I miss my leather seats.

I never had this happen in any car i have owned. Fabric or leather seats. i have never ever been shocked by a car. I have been driving for almost 40 years. Are you people really just going to chalk it up as harmless static electricity build up. Really? Getting used to being shocked every time you get out of the car? Kind of like a conditioning response. Keep sticking your finger in a light socket and maybe you get used to it. I know everyone wants the EV to be a success but lets keep some perspective.

chuck58 said:
I never had this happen in any car i have owned. Fabric or leather seats. i have never ever been shocked by a car. I have been driving for almost 40 years. Are you people really just going to chalk it up as harmless static electricity build up. Really? Getting used to being shocked every time you get out of the car? Kind of like a conditioning response. Keep sticking your finger in a light socket and maybe you get used to it. I know everyone wants the EV to be a success but lets keep some perspective.
Did you even bother to read the thread?

People are reporting:

A. That they did get shocked in other cars.
B. That the problem seems to be going away after a bit.

Jeez, am I tired of the "concern" around here.

chuck58 said:
Are you people really just going to chalk it up as harmless static electricity build up. Really?
Yes. With my first car (a Geo Metro convertible) I got shocked almost every time I got out of the car. It wasn't until I got my Miata with leather seats that I realized it was the cloth seats that were the problem. This is not unique to the Leaf or to EVs.

Yes, I can confirm that the shock goes away after a few weeks...Not sure if it makes any difference, but I did have the seat fabric protected...The shock fades over time, though...

Back