Call from Nissan to upgrade : SV can get a QC option now ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I just got a call from Zack of Nissan telling me two things;
1. There will be an announcement tomorrow of a network of fast charge stations in the Bay Area that will be free to all Leaf owners.
2. My car (an SV) is going into production this Friday and I can still have the fast charge port installed, but I have to move now. Price ~$700.

I went for the port. The original difference between SV and SL was around $2000 as I recall and included stuff I didn't care about like the photovoltaics on the spoiler and the backup camera, etc. For $700, though, it's worth it. I'm not sure if that makes my car an SL or just an SV + FCP (fast charge port). I'll update the spreadsheet as the latter and let the document owner redo it as desired.

I'm jazzed!

Edit: I got so excited I put this in the owners' section instead of the main section. Admin please move as appropriate.

I think you have to go to the SL and buy the QP.

I not sure Nissan changed the policy of no QP on SV or not who did you get a call from your PD or someone of Nissan?

I'm personally glad I went with the SL - I find the three remote Homelink an indispensable feature, replacing my garage door opener, the gate opener for our community, and the gate opener for the office parking lot. Very big thumbs-up for that feature.

Out of the remaining extras, the back up camera is probably the most fluffy. But people sure find it cool when you select reverse and the display changes to video! :D

I haven't heard anything to support that, but it would make sense. Since I have not done one order for an SV and the demand being so low to make them able to be equipped with the DC port might make more sense for Nissan if common components are used.

I suspect the only other buyers likely to get this call at this time are others in the Bay Area who ordered the SV, and that's only 2 or 3 on the spreadsheet. I specifically mentioned the fact that the SL had features I didn't need and which I thought cost around $2000 as a package and he said I could order just the QC port and not pay for the rest because that was the only option that could not be put on later. He did not say who is paying for all the free electricity, but I assume that will come out tomorrow. My guess is that it's either the BAAQMD or a coalition of government and corporate entities. He said I'd get something in writing or e-mail confirming the price. He said he couldn't give an exact number but it would be around $700. The display number on my cell phone was a 6-digit number with a hyphen in the middle, the first I've ever seen like that. I'm not sure where he was calling from but the first 3 digits were 450. That's a Canadian area code so maybe instead that's some indicator of an international call? He sounded American. Owners, do any of you know how long it took from start of assembly line to delivery?

mwalsh said:
Out of the remaining extras, the back up camera is probably the most fluffy. But people sure find it cool when you select reverse and the display changes to video! :D

The way the lines move with the steering wheel when you back up - that is the coolest feature. The backup camera was worth it for me but I often park on cramped streets like Broadway (in Seattle) and getting in/out is much easier with the camera.

Other features of the SL (I have a eTec model so my QC port was free and SL was mandatory) that I like - the cargo cover! Having a space where you can put things out of sight is very nice. Least impressive and hardest for me to explain - the solar panel. :roll:

I always glance at the backup video at least once before moving in reverse. Sometimes there's a kid back there. IMHO they should be required in all cars, but I'd understand differing opinions. Also greatly helps parking in urban areas.

DeaneG said:
I always glance at the backup video at least once before moving in reverse. Sometimes there's a kid back there. IMHO they should be required in all cars, but I'd understand differing opinions. Also greatly helps parking in urban areas.
This was the main reason I got* SL.

* : I'd have got SL, even if I had a choice.

DeaneG said:
I think the federal government agrees with you. I'd read something not long ago (sorry, no references) that they were considering mandating in the near future...

Homelink is one of those must-have features. I tried to add it to a previous car, and the mirror with Homelink cost me over $200.

Rear-view camera is easy to get used to.

I do wish they would delete the solar panel and knock some cost off for MY12.

Rat said:
I just got a call from Zack of Nissan telling me two things;
1. There will be an announcement tomorrow of a network of fast charge stations in the Bay Area that will be free to all Leaf owners.
2. My car (an SV) is going into production this Friday and I can still have the fast charge port installed, but I have to move now. Price ~$700.
Very cool! There aren't many of 'us' SVers around. It would be great to be able to get the QC port without the other SL options - I hope there are more phone calls later in the year!

Rat said:
I suspect the only other buyers likely to get this call at this time are others in the Bay Area who ordered the SV, and that's only 2 or 3 on the spreadsheet.
earther and I both have SV's in the Bay Area. I don't know about him, but haven't gotten any call. Two things might be different:

1. Rat lives (sort of) on the San Francisco side of San Jose while earther and I both live south of San Jose. Maybe our zip codes aren't included in whatever BAAQMD defines as the Bay Area. (The truth is that geologically the water drains from both our houses to Monterey Bay, not San Francisco bay.)
  2. Rat didn't order until Sep 29 while earther and I ordered on Sep 1 and 2. Maybe our cars are already being built, so it's too late to add the quick charge port, even though our dashboards say April. (Well, I can hope, can't I?)

planet4ever said:
Rat said:
I suspect the only other buyers likely to get this call at this time are others in the Bay Area who ordered the SV, and that's only 2 or 3 on the spreadsheet.
earther and I both have SV's in the Bay Area. I don't know about him, but haven't gotten any call. Two things might be different:

1. Rat lives (sort of) on the San Francisco side of San Jose while earther and I both live south of San Jose. Maybe our zip codes aren't included in whatever BAAQMD defines as the Bay Area. (The truth is that geologically the water drains from both our houses to Monterey Bay, not San Francisco bay.)
  2. Rat didn't order until Sep 29 while earther and I ordered on Sep 1 and 2. Maybe our cars are already being built, so it's too late to add the quick charge port, even though our dashboards say April. (Well, I can hope, can't I?)

No call about it placed to me either. but given the option of adding quick charge to my SV for $700, I'd definitely go for it even if those extra stations being built aren't in my immediate area.
I'll contact my dealer (Brendan at Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City) and see if he's heard anything about it.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
[The way the lines move with the steering wheel when you back up - that is the coolest feature. The backup camera was worth it for me . . .

I have this feature on my current Nissan Altima Hybrid. It is absolutely fantastic -- three times the utility of the backup camera on my wife's Mercedes that does not have the guide lines. If you think you do not need a backup camera, its because you have never had the Nissan version that will come with the Leaf.

Was the Nissan guy talking about this program?:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/02/350green-20110201.html#comments

"350Green is planning a national network of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations with fast chargers. Starting with its first project in the San Francisco Bay Area, the company plans to install and operate stations across urban retail shopping centers and other places near where EV drivers live and work. This approach aims to address two of the most vexing challenges facing widespread adoption of EVs: range anxiety and access to a garage for overnight charging.

The company envisions offering both Level 2 (220v) and DC Fast (480v) options, depending on location and use. The PowerDock is a stand-alone unit that offers up to four simultaneous charges; the Express Plaza can be configured as a standalone unit, or part of a solar carport for maximum energy efficiency and reduced grid load. When it installs two or more fast chargers at a location, it will install energy storage to prevent grid overload."

I'm in the SV camp as well, confident that I'll never look back and regret not getting the SL features, with the possible exception of the QC port. While my anticipated usage of the car doesn't include scenarios where L3 charging is required, I recognize my situation could change, and it could also affect resale. So this is good news, and if true, I'll probably stick a crowbar in my wallet and go for it.

Homelink? It's ok, we have it built in on one of our other cars, but it's no different from a clicker. Fog lights and 3 milliwatt solar panel? Wouldn't give those a second thought.

Back