Dan Rather Reports ~ Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudy

There is a reporter from Dan Rather Reports who would like to meet and interview (quote) "LEAF owners who charge their cars not only at home, but also away from home (office, public station, etc...)"
In case you'd be up for it (I've talked to her over the phone and she seemed really nice), simply PM me and I'll put you in touch with her.

If my only option was charging at home, then it would not be cost effective for me to drive a Leaf (my marginal cost of electricity from PG&E makes it about 50% more expensive than my prius). I'm only buying it because I will be able to charge for free at work. Incidentally, the marginal cost of electricity for my employer is about 1/3 what my home rate is due to strange pricing structure in California.

Googler said:
If my only option was charging at home, then it would not be cost effective for me to drive a Leaf (my marginal cost of electricity from PG&E makes it about 50% more expensive than my prius). I'm only buying it because I will be able to charge for free at work. Incidentally, the marginal cost of electricity for my employer is about 1/3 what my home rate is due to strange pricing structure in California.

... don't you also get a nice check from Google for buying an electric car? ;)

I've never heard of Dan Rather Reports until now. My personal opinion of Dan Rather is that he is a moron and a jerk (based solely on personal observations of his mangling of the news for years), but I've also heard from multiple sources that he's an arrogant egotist, for example allegedly having fired a CBS aide because she didn't recognize his voice on the phone when he called in. I wouldn't throw him a life preserver if he washed overboard. Anyone who volunteers for this, watch yourself. I don't know what his personal slant is on electric vehicles but you can be sure that's what will air, not what you try to convey.

Rat said:
I've never heard of Dan Rather Reports until now. My personal opinion of Dan Rather is that he is a moron and a jerk (based solely on personal observations of his mangling of the news for years), but I've also heard from multiple sources that he's an arrogant egotist, for example allegedly having fired a CBS aide because she didn't recognize his voice on the phone when he called in. I wouldn't throw him a life preserver if he washed overboard. Anyone who volunteers for this, watch yourself. I don't know what his personal slant is on electric vehicles but you can be sure that's what will air, not what you try to convey.

Oh, contraire, mon frère! Here is my article on a Dan Rather Reports episode from 2009 where he falls in love with a Tesla Roadster. Dan likes all things green, as does Mark Cuban, the owner of HD.Net, which broadcasts his program. Personally, I'd be happy to talk to him from the point of view of a well-informed potential buyer about my efforts to get charging installed at my work-site. And if he knew where I worked, I think he'd be right on that story. But I won't bad-mouth my employer (obviously), just demonstrate how I'm working on a grass-roots campaign to see a charging option here when the 37 miles to work tap more than 40% of the battery.

Also, if she'd like to talk to a Smart ED (Electric Drive) owner who I know does public charging here in D.C. I could certainly put her in contact with Mindy.

Googler said:

not strange at all, in fact VERY typical. i work at a call center that has a HUGE electrical demand due to several servers we run onsite for our clients database operations. the industrial rates are less than half the base residential rates of 8 cents/KWH

even in places where rates are based on usage, businesses get HUGE breaks on services

This from Smart ED (Electric Drive) North American Vehicle owner #1, Mindy Kimball, owner of the first EV leased in the Washington, D.C. region:

Mindy Kimball said:
I'd be happy to have this reporter get in touch with me if she isn't so
dead-set on getting a Leaf owner. Just last week I used a public charging
station during the day, since I had longer to go than my normal commute. On
"normal" days I just charge at home.

I looked at some of the comments on this forum, and I think it is interesting
that folks are assuming they would get free electricity if there was a charger
at work. The way I am pitching the idea to my employer is that the cost to them
is only in the installation... once they install a charger, it could be a "for
fee" charger (like the ChargePoint network), and the building doesn't pay for
extra electricity... the user is paying for the electricity as they use it. I
think it is important for people to realize that they may not always get free
electricity at work or in public.

Anyway, if Dan Rather Reports would be willing to talk to a smart owner, I've
just clocked 500 miles on mine, and everything is going great! About 50 miles a
day, heater keeping me toasty, headlights on, keeping up with Beltway traffic,
and no range anxiety so far! Here is the best part... I used to get frustrated
with DC traffic... now when traffic starts to slow down, I get happy! The
reason is because I know I'll use less battery power if traffic is moving at
less than 55mph. This is the best benefit to my car so far!! Reduced stress
levels in DC traffic!! And if there were more EVs on the road I might get even
more happy in traffic from not breathing in the stinky fumes of the gas guzzlers
in front of me!
(Reproduced with permission.)

I hope that reporter will follow up with Mindy since her story is almost as interesting as Gudy's. :)

TimeHorse said:
Rat said:
... I don't know what his personal slant is on electric vehicles but you can be sure that's what will air, not what you try to convey.
Oh, contraire, mon frère! Here is my article on a Dan Rather Reports episode from 2009 where he falls in love with a Tesla Roadster. Dan likes all things green, as does Mark Cuban, the owner of HD.Net, which broadcasts his program.
Formidable! If he loves things green, then I am sure that is the slant that will be given. I am not saying he will contradict you or make you look bad. I am only saying he will make sure his point of view is the one portrayed favorably. It sounds like he is pro-EV from what you say and that's good. I still don't trust him one iota, though, and I can guarantee you he will mangle your name. He has never pronounced a foreign name right yet. I'll bet it comes out Oliver, not Olivier, and I give up all hope on your last name.

gudy said:

No. They discontinued that benefit for employees. I got $5K for buying a Prius, but that was a while ago.

Having worked with him on a number of occasions, I would label your impressions as quite accurate...

Rat said:
I've never heard of Dan Rather Reports until now. My personal opinion of Dan Rather is that he is a moron and a jerk (based solely on personal observations of his mangling of the news for years), but I've also heard from multiple sources that he's an arrogant egotist, for example allegedly having fired a CBS aide because she didn't recognize his voice on the phone when he called in.

Judge for yourself Dan Rather Report's coverage of the Electric Car this Tuesday, 19 April on HD.Net. The premier of the program for which Gudy was contacted will be broadcast that night and then be available for purchase on iTunes the night after. If you're in it, congratulations Gudy and congratulations Mindy the first Electric Smart owner in North America.

Googler said:
gudy said:

No. They discontinued that benefit for employees. I got $5K for buying a Prius, but that was a while ago.

Nice they're so EV friendly anyway. Just saw all these chargers going in at main campus :)

google_chargers.jpg

Back