Take A Break

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

Ok, so here's the scenario...no judging, please:

I went out to my local watering hole, this being my Friday and all. As I left (and locked) the Leaf, I heard it chirp a few times. Recognizing that this was abnormal, I check the doors, etc....I found nothing amiss, so I walked around the corner to the bar.

A few hours later, I returned (now dusk) to see my Leaf with it's tail lights illuminated. The business owner in front of which I parked saw me coming and said "I think you left your lights on!' I replied "It's electric, let's see if it 'starts'!" Insert joke here.

Once inside, I realized that I had locked my keys inside (in the console) and completely forgot to turn off the car!!!! But, that's happens, so I drove away.

About 2 blocks later, I see on the dashboard for a split second a white box, a teacup, and the words "take a break". This was witnessed by my passenger who happened to be looking at the dash at that particular second. It went away just as fast......

I haven't checked the manual yet to see if that's a documented feature....but has anyone else seen this??

Jimmydreams said:
About 2 blocks later, I see on the dashboard for a split second a white box, a teacup, and the words "take a break".
Easter Egg

or

you gave the car to Turbo.

"Have A Break"

See Owners Manual 2-23
7. Driver alert
This warning appears when the previously set
time for a break is reached. You can set the time
for up to 6 hours in the setting menu. (See “Trip
computer” later in this section.)

Jim, it hasn't lit up for me, but reading the manuals, I saw that the light was there. It's on pages 2-22 and 2-23 of the manual:

Driver Alert: This warning appears when the previously set time for a break is reached. You can set the time for up to 6 hours in the settings menu (See "Trip computer" later in this section).

So you seems to have a timer set, or perhaps it's set for 6 hours at the factory.

Another point that you've brought up is that it is too easy to walk away from the LEAF with it turned on. We've already heard from one owner who accidentally left the car on during his entire work day, with the heater on, and came back to inadequate power left to get home. We'll all have to get used to paying attention to those three quiet chirps. You can even lock the car with the power on as long as you have the fob on you. The Prius system won't allow you to lock it if the power is left on.

Boomer23 said:
Jim, it hasn't lit up for me, but reading the manuals, I saw that the light was there. It's on pages 2-22 and 2-23 of the manual:

Driver Alert: This warning appears when the previously set time for a break is reached. You can set the time for up to 6 hours in the settings menu (See "Trip computer" later in this section).

So you seems to have a timer set, or perhaps it's set for 6 hours at the factory.

Another point that you've brought up is that it is too easy to walk away from the LEAF with it turned on. We've already heard from one owner who accidentally left the car on during his entire work day, with the heater on, and came back to inadequate power left to get home. We'll all have to get used to paying attention to those three quiet chirps. You can even lock the car with the power on as long as you have the fob on you. The Prius system won't allow you to lock it if the power is left on.

there ya go....I didn't know the timer was set at all.

As for walking away, I left the keys sitting in the console. The car let me lock the doors (I checked them before walking away), but ANYONE who would have bothered to push the button on the door could have opened them and, since the keys were in the console, driven away.

Seems the FOB sensor needs some adjusting. Luckily, no one tried the doors while I was....uh....refreshing myself. ;)

Just how many cups of "tea" did you have at this watering hole? Maybe you and your LEAF have bonded so closely, it can read your mind now! :lol:

Enjoy your weekend, Jimmy!

evnow said:
Jimmydreams said:
About 2 blocks later, I see on the dashboard for a split second a white box, a teacup, and the words "take a break".
Easter Egg

or

you gave the car to Turbo.

Best non-true guess so far!! If Turbo got ahold of my car, who KNOW"S what it might do!!! :twisted:

FYI- the car beeps at you if you walk away with the car on and key in pocket where it should be. If one handles the key like a car key there should be no issue. I don't leave my car on when I get home and the LEAF functions in the same manner. Keep your key in your pocket.

100 mile range, take a break. Seems like a funny way to make it seem like one is driving a long way. Nissan you make me laugh.

EVDRIVER said:
100 mile range, take a break. Seems like a funny way to make it seem like one is driving a long way. Nissan you make me laugh.
So I'm not the only one who found that feature amusing? :lol:

GeekEV said:
EVDRIVER said:
So I'm not the only one who found that feature amusing? :lol:

Another useless light like the tree. This space would have been better served for SOC or larger warning lights.

EVDRIVER said:
Keep your key in your pocket.
Yes, that was my first reaction, too. But then I remembered. When I first got a Prius I was forever unlocking the car accidentally as real keys in my pocket got pushed against the Prius key fob. I ended up making a "key fob protector" which shielded the buttons. (If you must know, I made it by cunningly bending a tin can lid.) The Prius key fob is rectangular, so it was no great feat. But I have no idea how I can do the same thing for a football-shaped fob.

Ray

91040 said:
"Have A Break"

See Owners Manual 2-23
7. Driver alert
This warning appears when the previously set
time for a break is reached. You can set the time
for up to 6 hours in the setting menu. (See “Trip
computer” later in this section.)
I wondered about the usefulness of this feature when I saw it in the manual. Take a break from what? About the only way I think I'd get to the point where I needed a break given the LEAFs limited range is if I were sitting in the driveway for a long time... :)

Actually it may be a good feature if you are doing a maximum range test at 20mph, it may take 10 hours to complete.. see my comment here:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/04/2011-nissan-leaf-how-to-get-to-fontana.html#comments

Will it reach 200 miles of range?

mwalsh said:
Jimmy, I found this out the hard way too. While I really like being able to unlock using the Smart Key feature in the door handles, I lock exclusively using the fob. That way I always know it's with me.
Good thing with fob is that I don't need to take it out of my pocket at all, once I leave home until I'm back.

Back