Things I've noticed about my LEAF after having it for 2 days

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Since picking up my LEAF Friday, I've notice a few weird things.

First, when I set my parking brake, the red master warning light comes on, but no mention in the owners manual about this occurring.

Second, when I check my charging status on the computer or my iphone, the range estimate is significantly lower than what the car says. For instance, this morning, I checked and at 100% charge, my iphone and the owners portal status page indicated 62 miles range, but when I got in the car it indicated 99 miles, a very significant difference. I thought the car sent the information to the Nissan site and then that was relayed back to your computer or phone. It doesn't appear to be doing that until the car is started and your app re-updated.

Third, The design engineer who decided to put cloth on the armrests should be shot. They might as well have upholstered the armrests with swiffer sweeper cloth.

Just my two cents. ;)

Bassman said:
Since picking up my LEAF Friday, I've notice a few weird things.

First, when I set my parking brake, the red master warning light comes on, but no mention in the owners manual about this occurring.

The master warning light comes on any time a warning light comes on.

Any red (yellow) warning icon on the behind-the-wheel instrument panel (like the red "PARK") causes the red (or yellow) master warning triangle icon in the eyebrow to come on.

So, the "Master Warning" red (or yellow) icon "ON" just means "Hey, there is a red (or yellow) Item-Warning icon illuminated somewhere else". A general Alert (Warning) that there is a specific Warning condition.

And, it is described briefly in the User Manual.

Brake on, warning light on
You need to update the system on the phone as it is not refreshed, getting old values
Armrests, seats and astroturf carpet are a joke, that's been a given for some time here.

EVDRIVER said:
You need to update the system on the phone as it is not refreshed, getting old values

Before I got in the car, this morning, I updated three to four times. Each time the app and computer status screen showed 62 miles estimated range. It wasn't until I got in the car and turned it on then turned it off and updated my app and computer status that the range reading was the same as the car, 99 miles.

Bassman said:
EVDRIVER said:

Before I got in the car, this morning, I updated three to four times. Each time the app and computer status screen showed 62 miles estimated range. It wasn't until I got in the car and turned it on then turned it off and updated my app and computer status that the range reading was the same as the car, 99 miles.

Sounds like a cellular connection issue at the car. Does it do this every time?

Bassman said:
Second, when I check my charging status on the computer or my iphone, the range estimate is significantly lower than what the car says. For instance, this morning, I checked and at 100% charge, my iphone and the owners portal status page indicated 62 miles range, but when I got in the car it indicated 99 miles, a very significant difference. I thought the car sent the information to the Nissan site and then that was relayed back to your computer or phone. It doesn't appear to be doing that until the car is started and your app re-updated.
Just my two cents. ;)

This same thing started happening to me after I got the software update almost two weeks ago. I will charge to 100%, the status page will say something like 77 miles, then I get in the LEAF and it says 102 miles. The difference is not so great when I only charge to 80%. I figure they have another quirk in the software to fix.

Azrich said:
Bassman said:
Just my two cents. ;)

This same thing started happening to me after I got the software update almost two weeks ago. I will charge to 100%, the status page will say something like 77 miles, then I get in the LEAF and it says 102 miles. The difference is not so great when I only charge to 80%. I figure they have another quirk in the software to fix.

This happened to me this morning as well. 100% charge, but when I refreshed the iPhone display, it read 100% charge, but only 56 available miles. I got in the car and the car is showing 93 available miles. Today is the first day I've noticed it. FWIW, both the Nissan Owners Portal and the iPhone app are reporting the low numbers. They made a change somewhere that didn't work right....

Bassman said:
EVDRIVER said:

I concur, LEAF app on iphone always understates the range by 25-30 miles. You can update from the phone 20 times, it will return the same low range. It freaked me out the first time. But now I just look the charge bars, if it says full, I know I am covered.

Not sure if I read all the posts correctly ... are we saying this is happening only with cars AFTER the firmware update (supposed A/C problem + range fix) ?

Bassman said:
The design engineer who decided to put cloth on the armrests should be shot. They might as well have upholstered the armrests with swiffer sweeper cloth.

Just my two cents. ;)

This is one of the reasons I am glad my reservation is still "pending." I can't get over the decision to cheap-out with the seats. Nissan has a lot riding on public acceptance of the Leaf. Using cheap, substandard interior materials and not offering the option to upgarde to something decent is short-sighted and will tarnish the reputation of the Leaf. This is a 35K vehicle, not an econo-box.

tedbe said:
This is one of the reasons I am glad my reservation is still "pending." I can't get over the decision to cheap-out with the seats. Nissan has a lot riding on public acceptance of the Leaf. Using cheap, substandard interior materials and not offering the option to upgarde to something decent is short-sighted and will tarnish the reputation of the Leaf. This is a 35K vehicle, not an econo-box.
No, the Leaf is an econo-box with a really expensive battery.

Back