Charging Rudeness?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

My poor girlfriend had her first negative experience driving the Leaf today.

Due to an unforeseen event (I got sick and had to take off work), we had an extra 17 miles put onto our daily commuting distance in order take me home this morning. Life Happens sometimes, right? Well, without any intermediate charging, that would put her return round trip home at a total of 85 miles (most of it highway) and we were pretty certain the Leaf wouldn't quite make that. Fortunately, her boss lets her (trickle) charge at work, and so we figured with ~8 hr of trickle, that would make up difference (otherwise, I never would have used the Leaf to come home sick in the first place).

When she gets to her work the dashboard reads "38mi" range, and she needs 35 to get home... but I don't trust that number, especially since there are only 4 bars of soc remaining, and we feel the trickle will alleviate any range anxiety. However, when she goes to plug in her car as she's done before, the boss comes out and tells her that he's changed his mind and won't let her plug in at work anymore. Ugh, today of all days when we're short on range to say this, and without any notice at all!! When she asks why, he says that he received a complaint from a fellow employee that it's unfair that she gets to receive "free fuel" and others don't -- this is despite the fact that my girlfriend by prior arrangement already has the extra electricity cost automatically deducted from her weekly paycheck! But according to the boss, this isn't relevant and it's the perception of favoritism that matters and he doesn't want any bad blood between him and other employees.

Okay, my girlfriend's upset, but not in panic mode. She uses the "charging station" button the steering wheel to see that Stephens Creek Nissan in San Jose is relatively close and she calls ahead to ask them if it would be okay for her to drop by during her lunch hour and use their level2 charger. The person on the phone is very nice and tells her it won't be a problem. However, when she gets there, an Acura (non-EV) is parked in the available charging spot (despite the fact that there are multiple empty spots available in the lot). Now, I don't mean to slam the entire dealership, snice most of the people in the front office were nice and accommodating to my girlfriend and even offered to move the Acura for her so she could charge. But, within a few minutes, an employee named Casey emerged and gave her a hard time about utilizing the charger. He said it was intended for their customers only and that she didn't really have the right to use it since she didn't get the Leaf here. Now, I wasn't there and don't know exactly what he said to her, but whatever it was, it was enough for her to call me on the phone sobbing. So, phooey on you, Casey. In the end, he said that he would allow her to use it this one time as a "courtesy", but that she shouldn't expect to use it again in the future. Is this really the policy that Nissan wants to set? I suppose a given dealership is within their rights to deny their charger to a Leaf not purchased at their site (or are they? Is the charger theirs or Nissans? Regardless, presumably it's the dealership that pays the electricity bill).

Anyway, she's up to a nominal 44 mile range displaying on the Leaf now, so hopefully that's enough to make the true 35mi back home to Gilroy. She has no plans to ever return to Stephens Creek Nissan again (either for charging or maintenance) and since her boss at worked complained, our backup plan is for her to use the level2 charger at the nearby San Jose Convention Center tonight after work if she needs to (does anyone know if you have to pay for parking to be able to access it? chargepoint.net says it's free, but I assume that's referring to the electricity itself and not to the cost to get into the garage, if any?)

it has been said here before: If Nissan wants to build the brand, then they need the dealers to be friendly with the chargers. It is also very hard to believe that dealers would not realize that a key selling point would be the ability to stop at any dealership and get a charge; or at least a partial charge. (But then these are car dealers and most of them think gouging is good policy, too.)

1) This isn't the first Nissan dealer to have the foresight of a gerble. Some dealers get it, some don't. (My gut tells me that some motorheads at some dealers really resent the car and it's clientele)

2) My wife had a similar problem at work with subsidized mass transit. Some people who drove asked for free gas! BTW it was funded by a program to reduce car emissions. Employer had no out of pocket expense.

3) Try getting the PlugShare app. I'm sure you can find someone to help you out.
http://www.plugshare.com/#

You need to call and let Nissan know how your experience went at this dealer.
I would also call and ask for the owner of the dealer or at least the GM.

These people need to be called out.

As for work I hope she get the deductions reversed. I would demand a hand check on the spot.

Electricity cost deducted from the paycheck? That's interesting. I would be interested to find out how much they would charge for that...

I had a similar experience at Santa Monica Nissan. they were not exactly friendly about letting us charge there.... first question was "well did you buy it here?"
-Matt

earther said:
But, within a few minutes, an employee named Casey emerged and gave her a hard time about utilizing the charger. He said it was intended for their customers only and that she didn't really have the right to use it since she didn't get the Leaf here. Now, I wasn't there and don't know exactly what he said to her, but whatever it was, it was enough for her to call me on the phone sobbing. So, phooey on you, Casey. In the end, he said that he would allow her to use it this one time as a "courtesy", but that she shouldn't expect to use it again in the future.
Call Nissan right now and file a complaint against this dealership. Do not wait! 1-877-664-2738

I've spoken with Nissan and to various dealerships and have been reassured that these charging units are for all Nissan customers. This is part of the agreement between the dealerships and Nissan corporate to be able to participate in their electric vehicle program.

DarkStar said:
earther said:
But, within a few minutes, an employee named Casey emerged and gave her a hard time about utilizing the charger. He said it was intended for their customers only and that she didn't really have the right to use it since she didn't get the Leaf here. Now, I wasn't there and don't know exactly what he said to her, but whatever it was, it was enough for her to call me on the phone sobbing. So, phooey on you, Casey. In the end, he said that he would allow her to use it this one time as a "courtesy", but that she shouldn't expect to use it again in the future.
Call Nissan right now and file a complaint against this dealership. Do not wait! 1-877-664-2738

I've spoken with Nissan and to various dealerships and have been reassured that these charging units are for all Nissan customers. This is part of the agreement between the dealerships and Nissan corporate to be able to participate in their electric vehicle program.

Anyone have a copy of the agreement? Might be nice to keep in the car and whip out at the appropriate time. I always wanted to reenacted the Marshall McLuhan scene in Annie Hall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtXfBdEXEs

I would take the question mark of the title of this thread….it was definitely rude X2. Both her boss and the dealership were guilty. This was the same argument my boss gave for not letting me plug in except for an occasional “emergency”. Sure enough, the first day I did someone complained to facilities. We have free coffee at work….but not everyone likes coffee, does that mean we should get rid of it?

DarkStar said:

Thanks for the advice -- I actually did call just now, and the rep on the line was very courteous and helpful.
Basically what he told me is that while Nissan *encourages* to the dealers a policy of allowing all-Leaf access, it's not something that they can *require* of the dealerships since they are independent businesses. However, in this case, he feels that Casey at the Stephens Creek dealership crossed the line, since my girlfriend had asked for (and received) permission in advance by the staff to use the charger; by then not honoring that and berating her for using the charger, he was guilty of not living up to standards of customer service that Nissan expects their dealers to adhere to. The Nissan rep I spoke to said he would follow up by speaking to the dealer and get them to clarify their policy (if they even have one).

Irvine Nissan was very friendly when I needed to use their charger.
I think that we should make a list and support the dealers that want to play nice

earther said:
Okay, my girlfriend's upset, but not in panic mode. She uses the "charging station" button the steering wheel to see that Stephens Creek Nissan in San Jose is relatively close and she calls ahead to ask them if it would be okay for her to drop by during her lunch hour and use their level2 charger. The person on the phone is very nice and tells her it won't be a problem. However, when she gets there, an Acura (non-EV) is parked in the available charging spot (despite the fact that there are multiple empty spots available in the lot). Now, I don't mean to slam the entire dealership, snice most of the people in the front office were nice and accommodating to my girlfriend and even offered to move the Acura for her so she could charge. But, within a few minutes, an employee named Casey emerged and gave her a hard time about utilizing the charger. He said it was intended for their customers only and that she didn't really have the right to use it since she didn't get the Leaf here. Now, I wasn't there and don't know exactly what he said to her, but whatever it was, it was enough for her to call me on the phone sobbing. So, phooey on you, Casey. In the end, he said that he would allow her to use it this one time as a "courtesy", but that she shouldn't expect to use it again in the future. Is this really the policy that Nissan wants to set? I suppose a given dealership is within their rights to deny their charger to a Leaf not purchased at their site (or are they? Is the charger theirs or Nissans? Regardless, presumably it's the dealership that pays the electricity bill).

Anyway, she's up to a nominal 44 mile range displaying on the Leaf now, so hopefully that's enough to make the true 35mi back home to Gilroy. She has no plans to ever return to Stephens Creek Nissan again (either for charging or maintenance) and since her boss at worked complained, our backup plan is for her to use the level2 charger at the nearby San Jose Convention Center tonight after work if she needs to (does anyone know if you have to pay for parking to be able to access it? chargepoint.net says it's free, but I assume that's referring to the electricity itself and not to the cost to get into the garage, if any?)
Let your fingers do the walking...
Stevens Creek Nissan
4855 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Santa Clara, CA 95051-6660
(408) 557-5500
Ask for "Casey". :shock:

earther said:
DarkStar said:
Thanks for the advice -- I actually did call just now, and the rep on the line was very courteous and helpful.
Basically what he told me is that while Nissan *encourages* to the dealers a policy of allowing all-Leaf access, it's not something that they can *require* of the dealerships since they are independent businesses. However, in this case, he feels that Casey at the Stephens Creek dealership crossed the line, since my girlfriend had asked for (and received) permission in advance by the staff to use the charger; by then not honoring that and berating her for using the charger, he was guilty of not living up to standards of customer service that Nissan expects their dealers to adhere to. The Nissan rep I spoke to said he would follow up by speaking to the dealer and get them to clarify their policy (if they even have one).
And we list them in the charging directories as - Restricted: Charging for that dealer's customers only. We can also have the diretory mention rude personnel or put that in charging site reviews by drivers, assuming the situation at Stevens Creek Nissan is not adequately addressed.

We certainly don't want new EV drivers being attacked by rude dealers to the point of tears. And if a dealer does such a thing, that's certainly something to note in the charging directory as we note the various things to do in the area while charging and condition of charging stations.

For that matter, we need to lobby Nissan to take that dealer OUT of car wings, or configure car wings so the charging locations only shows up in LEAFs purchased from that dealer!

That's exactly right: The pressure on Nissan here (who claims to have no control over dealerships) is to exclude them from the POI database. After all, they are not public charging stations.

And it re-emphasizes the vital importance of the DoE / EV Project efforts -- Public, accessible, visible charging stations are absolutely vital to the success of EVs. ECOtality isn't holding up their end of this bargain, and it's going to hurt EV acceptance overall.

As for your girlfriend, I have to say she has much more patience and stamina than most. I think my wife would have had it towed home, thrown the keys in the garage and said "never driving that damn thing again". And I'd be hard-pressed to disagree.

This is very short sighted on the dealers part-- one hour of charge costs 30 cents or thereabouts. For begrudging you for $.30 they bought considerable bad public relations-- Leaf owners, at least so far, are on the leading edge of technology and the market..why piss one off? If they had service bay cars ahead of you that would be a different matter-- but they didn't.

On the other hand I just got my leaf today at Campbell Nelson in Edmonds, Wa and they were wonderful throughout the whole process-- and they bought considerable good faith in the process! They have let people with orders from other dealers drive their demo model, now that is very generous and the kind of attitude that builds good long-term business.

earther said:

Steve, sorry to hear about the bad reception your girlfriend received at Stevens Creek Nissan. Full disclosure: I purchased my LEAF there, only because it was the closest dealer to my home, and I didn't have the smarts or time to search for a better dealer. Your girlfriend's experience doesn't surprise me, the dealership hasn't been very responsive. I think you will find other forum members that have not been satisfied with the dealer's response. I visited Serramonte Nissan (just south of SF in Colma) and asked about using their L2 dock. The person I talked to said it was ok for me to charge (even though I didn't buy LEAF there).

If your LEAF needs a boost and you or your girlfriend are in the neighborhood of Cupertino, you can come over for an L2 fix. Will PM my number and address.

Nice One.

If your LEAF needs a boost and you or your girlfriend are in the neighborhood of Cupertino, you can come over for an L2 fix. Will PM my number and address.[/quote]

At work your girlfriend should contact Human Resources and demand the right to confront her "accuser" face to face. But it shouldn't be a confrontation. She should explain that the cost of charging is 15 cents per hour*, which she was paying. The accuser may have just finished paying $100 to fill up his SUV, and be feeling very angry at someone given a similar benefit for free. Confronted with the nickel and the dime, he'd have to either agree that it's not a tangible benefit, or expose to HR and management that his real objection is not favoritism but simply anger that she's not burning oil. Then turn the conversation to how HR and management can best explain this to employees in general. Article in company newsletter co-written by your girlfriend and her ex-accuser? More people get interested in EV's. Maybe the company gets interested in installing a few L2 chargers, learning about tax benefits and low or no cost options to them through EV Project.

While trickle charging at work, what do you bet that it costs the company several dollars to account for that 15 cents and deduct it from her paycheck? Maybe the company would be satisfied if she just read out her at-work charging from Carwings once a month and put that much money in the "donut fund". Or just drop in a dollar a day, or per half day she uses charging. Then when the next employee (who didn't read the newsletter) complains about favoritism, management begins the conversation with, "oh, you mean you want to reduce the donut fund?" (A little bit of self interest often serves where altruism fails.)
GroundLoop said:
The pressure on Nissan here (who claims to have no control over dealerships) is to exclude them from the POI database. After all, they are not public charging stations.
Stephens Creek Nissan needs to be the subject of many complaints to Nissan America. The manager should start by apologizing to your girlfriend and offering somehow to make it up to her, and end by explaining measures he has taken to assure that nobody at his dealership will make this mistake again. Dealers like them and Pacific Nissan in San Diego threaten the viability of LEAF, especially since ECOtality has failed to deploy the promised public chargers. Non-public chargers should not be in any directory of public chargers! Nissan should never have granted LEAF certification to dealers without requiring them to abide by minimum standards of conduct. But unless they reform, Nissan should at least reduce their LEAF allocation to about 4 per year.

Conversely, dealers who are especially welcoming of LEAF drivers recharging, and especially those who provide access 24/7, should be rewarded. Nissan should reward them by increasing their allocation of LEAFs and/or other vehicles with high profit margins. MyNissanLeaf forum should reward them by highlighting them here as new customers begin choosing their dealers. Maybe a dedicated sticky thread?

--
* 1.2 kW charging rate * $0.1226 average commercial electricity $/kWh in California

earther said:
... our backup plan is for her to use the level2 charger at the nearby San Jose Convention Center tonight after work if she needs to (does anyone know if you have to pay for parking to be able to access it? chargepoint.net says it's free, but I assume that's referring to the electricity itself and not to the cost to get into the garage, if any?)
On the evchargernews charging stations listings be sure to reveiw the comments / I was there reports since they often have updated information or details that isn't in the main database listing.

Convention Center garage has validation with the public library:
CSJ: Convention Center
150 W. San Carlos Street (Entrances on Almaden Blvd. and Market Street) Open 24 hours
(408) 794-1090 $1/20 min., $18 max 6am-6pm wkdy; $.50/20 min, $18 max 6am-6pm wknd&hol; $4 after 6 pm. Special event rates may apply. Validations apply on non-event dates
http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/95110_1.htm

This is one of my favorites for downtown San Jose:
Rats. Looks like it maybe 120v only...
CSJ: Fourth Street Garage
44 S. Fourth Street, at San Fernando Street across from the library Open 24 hours
(408) 279-8782 $.75/20 min., $15 max. 6 am-6 pm wkdy; free 6 am-6 pm wknd&hol; $4 after 6 p.m. First hour is free after 6 p.m. Mon.-Fri. Validations accepted. 3-1/2-hour cinema validations accepted after 11:30 am.
http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/95112_2.htm

Use zip code 95112 to find the downtown San Jose chargers: http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/parking_lot_list.html

Back