2011 Nissan Leaf battery below 65% capacity, Nissan won't fully warranty battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhead1227

Hello, I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf and I have a warrantable battery situation, sort of. I wanted t know if anyone has had any issues getting the battery replaced under warranty. I lost my 4th capacity bar recently and took it to the dealership to have it checked. The last capacity bar dropped off 17 days after the warranty expired. It's a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty, I'm at 52,000 miles. I opened a case with Nissan and the Goodwill department said they would pay for 1/2 of the cost which will be over $3000.

I am trying to get them to pay at least 75% but they are not budging. I have a couple OBDII apps on my phone that show the battery has declined below 70% prior to reaching the warranty limit but they won't accept that despite me sending them 2.5 years of solid battery capacity data I've collected with a graph showing my degradation vs what Nissan says I should be at. For the record Nissan says I should be at 70% in 10 years, I'm at 64% at 5 years. I'm pretty hot about this. Being able to drive only 45-50 miles at 3.9 M/KWH is ridiculous.

Any ideas or does anyone know where I can go for legal help? I don't have $3400 right now.

Jeremiah

I read others who post about such situations. So far you are a better situation than most others who got the line "sorry"..

Is it worth $3000 (to borrow on it) to have a new battery? I'll leave that up to you and others who know the numbers much better to make a more constructive post to help you decide.

Every other case I've read about here, Nissan told the customer to go pound sand. I think one guy was like ten miles over the warranty threshold and was still denied a new battery.

If I were in your shoes I'd fork over the cash and never look back.

Unfortunately, you don't have a legal leg to stand on, so no point in paying a lawyer. Either take the deal or don't take the deal. Nissan has shown no signs of budging on these.

mtndrew1 said:
... Every other case I've read about here, Nissan told the customer to go pound sand. ...
I was two weeks past the five years and Nissan did good will replacement at no cost.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102&p=467550&hilit=pneumonia#p467550 for details on my situation.

Some did get free replacement after numerous emails to numerous people at Nissan.

If that does not work Arbitration with Better Business Bureau has worked for some based on convincing arbitrator that capacity loss was NOT gradual and therefore qualified for replacement under 8 year / 100,000 mile defects warranty.

drees is working through that process now.

Good luck Jeremiah.

Stoaty said:
Now you know why many of us (that includes me) plan to have our next BEV be any other brand than Nissan.
I wish Jeremiah luck. And as Stoaty states, Nissan isn't the only BEV game in town as it was in 2010.

Back