CZleaf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013

240V power cod charger

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi, i just got my Leaf last week. The 110V charger is not doing it for me, but i also think the Blink and Evgo are expensive to instal. Can i just purchase a 220V cable (same as the one that comes with the Leaf but 240V rather than 110V) and plug directly to my 240V outlet? That way i would get the level 2 power and have to buy only the cable...
is this possible and if so, where do i purchase that from? Does anyone know that?

for example can I buy this charger for less than 300 and just use on my 240V outlet:
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=produ ... ducts_id=2
Last edited by CZleaf on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9970
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: 240V power cod charger

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:22 pm

CZleaf wrote:Hi, i just got my Leaf last week. The 110V charger is not doing it for me, but i also think the Blink and Evgo are expensive to instal. Can i just purchase a 220V cable (same as the one that comes with the Leaf but 240V rather than 110V) and plug directly to my 240V outlet? That way i would get the level 2 power and have to buy only the cable...
is this possible and if so, where do i purchase that from? Does anyone know that?


Have your electrician put in a L6-30R (240 volt, 30 amp) socket on the wall. While you're waiting for that, send in your power "cod" to www.EVSEupgrade.com

For about $300, they will turn it into a 20 amp, 240 volt unit. Easy and relatively cheap.

CZleaf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013

Re: 240V power cod charger

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks! I was just at http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=produ ... ducts_id=2 and saw that! thanks again!

Novoken
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2013
Location: Apex NC

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:18 am

Thats what Im also going to do. Just waiting for someone to lend me theirs that they are not using for the time I will have mines away

CZleaf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:46 am

hi Novoken,

I had to back away for this option....
I have a lease and to replace this cord when i return the car will cost about $900! :-(

Blink's equipment is about 599 with 100 back in station purchase.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am

CZleaf wrote:hi Novoken,

I had to back away for this option....
I have a lease and to replace this cord when i return the car will cost about $900! :-(

Blink's equipment is about 599 with 100 back in station purchase.
You didn't read the FAQ at http://EVSEUpgrade.com then. There are at least three ways to deal with the lease "issue".

1. Trade it with some other owner who has an unmodified one, but would like an upgrade. You can probably even get some of your upgrade money back in the swap. (my favorite)
2. Send it back to EVSEUpgrade to be downgraded again.
3. Replace the plug with a 5-15 like it originally came with, and turn it in with no one the wiser.

Some people have even turned in the modded unit, without doing anything to it. It's not a problem.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

CZleaf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 am

hi Novoken, thanks for the information!
You were right i didn't read the FAQ...
but then .......
i got an estimate from my electrician and it would cost me $241 to add the outlet in my garage + $287 to change the cord to a 220v = $532. BLINk's equipment is 599 and i am sure you can sell it later as well...

smkettner
Posts: 6977
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am

I prefer the wall unit so no harm in that. Unless you anticipate 240v opportunity charging at an alternate location you will be fine to leave the brick unmodified.

My preference would be Clipper Creek, Leviton, or Schneider over the Blink but that is your call.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

CZleaf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:17 am

thanks! Any reason in specific you don't like Blink?
I just wanted to check all possibilities before buy the unit!

thanks again!

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: 240V power cod charger

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am

CZleaf wrote:hi Novoken, thanks for the information!
You were right i didn't read the FAQ...
but then .......
i got an estimate from my electrician and it would cost me $241 to add the outlet in my garage + $287 to change the cord to a 220v = $532. BLINk's equipment is 599 and i am sure you can sell it later as well...
No doubt. Do remember that you will have to pay at least the same $241 to install the Blink, and probably a bit more as it requires a bigger circuit.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”