Opinion - 14 SL or 15 S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoogunman

I'm considering checking out some used Leafs this week (been thinking about going EV and these are dirt cheap). There is a dealer nearby who has a lot full of used 14 S models (all for around $7500 - $7800 with 28K or less miles), one 14 SL (black leather, nav, Bose, etc. with 28K miles), and they have one 15 S model (28K miles). I was looking at the SL since it's loaded, but have been told by the people on here that the 15 has the "lizard" battery and if I would be better off going for that one. I'm in Texas, so heat is obviously an issue (car would be stored in a garage unless I was out and about for what it's worth).

The only thing I have noticed off with the 14 SL is that it looks like the SD card for the nav system is not in the car (I'm getting that from a pic of the radio showing the "no SD card" error. As I understand it, it's a $179 to replace the card which, considering the money I would be dropping on the car, I can deal with. I'd rather have the fully optioned car obviously, but I'm wondering if the updated battery would be worth the luxury sacrifice ;)

Jedlacks said:
The decision should start at the original location of the car and the build date in the door jamb.

Haven't gotten that far yet, but I did just find out the 15 has sold already, so I guess that one is a moot point ;) What was the "good" 2014 build date? After April '14 correct?

tattoogunman said:
I'm considering checking out some used Leafs this week (been thinking about going EV and these are dirt cheap). There is a dealer nearby who has a lot full of used 14 S models (all for around $7500 - $7800 with 28K or less miles), one 14 SL (black leather, nav, Bose, etc. with 28K miles), and they have one 15 S model (28K miles). I was looking at the SL since it's loaded, but have been told by the people on here that the 15 has the "lizard" battery and if I would be better off going for that one. I'm in Texas, so heat is obviously an issue (car would be stored in a garage unless I was out and about for what it's worth).

The only thing I have noticed off with the 14 SL is that it looks like the SD card for the nav system is not in the car (I'm getting that from a pic of the radio showing the "no SD card" error. As I understand it, it's a $179 to replace the card which, considering the money I would be dropping on the car, I can deal with. I'd rather have the fully optioned car obviously, but I'm wondering if the updated battery would be worth the luxury sacrifice ;)
A couple of things. 1) Given the heat in your area, you should expect battery degradation (but reading your comments in other threads, you are well aware of this, and often point it out as a big negative, so I'm surprised that you're really considering buying). As long as your commute and normal driving is less than 30 mi at a time you will be fine for many years. 2) I doubt that you'll ever find a used Leaf WITHOUT the SD card missing. This seems to be a common thing, somewhere along the line they get "stolen" and sold on EBay or something. I would insist that the dealer provide a new one, or discount the price another $500. It might work, but then again.... you're dealing with used car dealers. 3) The 14 SL won't have Carwings connections because ATT's 2G (or whatever it is) will be turned off as of tonight. So, having an SD card or not probably won't matter unless you are willing to pay for the $200 upgrade to 3G/4G or whatever is the new replacement. The 15's get the upgrade free as I recall, but you'll have to ask for it. 4) The jury is not out on the "lizard" battery being any better. My personal belief is that the installed battery is bigger than 24 KWh and the extra amount is hidden. As the battery degrades, the instrumentation shows no degradation for the first year or two, then degradation follows in subsequent years just like the old battery chemistry. Just my opinion, but anecdotal information on this board seems to support such a theory, at least partially. 5) If it were me, I would choose the cheapest, newest battery car that I could find with the specs that I deem necessary. My preferences are not necessarily yours, so I won't tell you what to do. For charging outside of the home, the S with charge package (DCQC and 6.6 KW) is probably the best deal. However, you lose navigation, easy timers, Carwings, internet/phone pre-heating, cruise control, etc. I like the lighter cloth seats over leather, so the SL is not necessary. We have no DCQC in my area, so that's not necessary. However, I really like the backup camera and won't get another vehicle without one. I'd really like the heat pump heater (SV, SL), but it's not a critical item. All in all, my perfect build is probably closest to the SL (which is what I have currently, 2011). I'm glad I won't need to purchase for another 10 years, so that I can wait for better choices and battery technology.

I have a 2014 S model, with 24,000 miles on it, and still showing 12 bars. When fully charged it shows a GOM of about 94 miles (I have actually driven it 93 miles on a single charge, and pulled into my garage with 6% left on the SOC readout, so I tend to believe the GOM more than many would).
Now that it is winter with the cold weather, when fully charged and the heater going, not in Eco mode, the GOM reads 73 miles. I have not tested this, and will probably not do so. I have driven over 60 miles in these conditions, and the SOC didn't get down low enough to worry me. Don't remember what the number was.
I have the 6.6kw./QC package, and the backup camera is standard on all 2014 and later Leafs.
My build date was 4/14. What battery do I have? Don't know, or care. I bought the car in October of 2016 as a two year lease return from Georgia, where I guess the battery was not heat stressed. I am not going to worry about problems until they show up: why take the joy out of ownership?
I went for the S model because of the simpler electronics this trim level has: I had enough of the touch screen nonsense in my last Cadillac, and didn't want it. Give me the simplicity of knobs/buttons any day. Of course, YMMV.

Reddy said:
tattoogunman said:

A couple of things. 1) Given the heat in your area, you should expect battery degradation (but reading your comments in other threads, you are well aware of this, and often point it out as a big negative, so I'm surprised that you're really considering buying). As long as your commute and normal driving is less than 30 mi at a time you will be fine for many years. 2) I doubt that you'll ever find a used Leaf WITHOUT the SD card missing. This seems to be a common thing, somewhere along the line they get "stolen" and sold on EBay or something. I would insist that the dealer provide a new one, or discount the price another $500. It might work, but then again.... you're dealing with used car dealers. 3) The 14 SL won't have Carwings connections because ATT's 2G (or whatever it is) will be turned off as of tonight. So, having an SD card or not probably won't matter unless you are willing to pay for the $200 upgrade to 3G/4G or whatever is the new replacement. The 15's get the upgrade free as I recall, but you'll have to ask for it. 4) The jury is not out on the "lizard" battery being any better. My personal belief is that the installed battery is bigger than 24 KWh and the extra amount is hidden. As the battery degrades, the instrumentation shows no degradation for the first year or two, then degradation follows in subsequent years just like the old battery chemistry. Just my opinion, but anecdotal information on this board seems to support such a theory, at least partially. 5) If it were me, I would choose the cheapest, newest battery car that I could find with the specs that I deem necessary. My preferences are not necessarily yours, so I won't tell you what to do. For charging outside of the home, the S with charge package (DCQC and 6.6 KW) is probably the best deal. However, you lose navigation, easy timers, Carwings, internet/phone pre-heating, cruise control, etc. I like the lighter cloth seats over leather, so the SL is not necessary. We have no DCQC in my area, so that's not necessary. However, I really like the backup camera and won't get another vehicle without one. I'd really like the heat pump heater (SV, SL), but it's not a critical item. All in all, my perfect build is probably closest to the SL (which is what I have currently, 2011). I'm glad I won't need to purchase for another 10 years, so that I can wait for better choices and battery technology.

To be honest, I'm really on the fence about the whole thing, so don't get me wrong. This is why I join these types of communities so that I can get a sense for what I may be dealing with. Obviously the heat is an issue and it's why I'm looking at newer ones that would still have the vast majority of their warranty coverage.

I would honestly prefer a Volt for a few different reasons, but they're outside of my price point for the foreseeable future and the Leaf is a compromise.

craig said:
I have a 2014 S model, with 24,000 miles on it, and still showing 12 bars. When fully charged it shows a GOM of about 94 miles (I have actually driven it 93 miles on a single charge, and pulled into my garage with 6% left on the SOC readout, so I tend to believe the GOM more than many would).
Now that it is winter with the cold weather, when fully charged and the heater going, not in Eco mode, the GOM reads 73 miles. I have not tested this, and will probably not do so. I have driven over 60 miles in these conditions, and the SOC didn't get down low enough to worry me. Don't remember what the number was.
I have the 6.6kw./QC package, and the backup camera is standard on all 2014 and later Leafs.
My build date was 4/14. What battery do I have? Don't know, or care. I bought the car in October of 2016 as a two year lease return from Georgia, where I guess the battery was not heat stressed. I am not going to worry about problems until they show up: why take the joy out of ownership?
I went for the S model because of the simpler electronics this trim level has: I had enough of the touch screen nonsense in my last Cadillac, and didn't want it. Give me the simplicity of knobs/buttons any day. Of course, YMMV.

I'm generally not a "bells and whistles" type of guy and the simpler the better (I'm perfectly happy with crank windows, basic stereo, no on board navigation, etc.). However, given the very low prices of these cars used, I figured I would get the top end model. Locally, the difference between an S and SL is only about $2500 dollars. However, I am totally with you in that I generally avoid extra gizmos, leather, etc.

I lived in Utah for a few years and I'd like to see what the winters do to the battery for the long run. You have the opposite problem that I do - it's January 1st and it was nearly 70 degrees here today and you guys have snow. Come summer, I'll be baking in triple digits ;)

I live in South Florida where roadway temps are over 100 degrees much of the year and have a late 2014S which while closing in on 20,000 miles the dash and LeafSpy agree I still have a strong 12 bars on the battery. In our heat I greatly prefer the cloth in the S to the leather and the S still comes with the electric windows but does not have that expensive NAV system with the proprietary memory card that is so easy to steel but cost so much without meeting the deductible on most insurance policies. NAV in my cell phone is good enough for me and more easily upgraded.

All told I would go with the one with the fewest miles on it that has the newer mid to late 2014 battery and the most confirmed bars on it .

In the Deep South I go by "White is Right" and shy away from Black or the Medium Blue color that seems so prone to pealing and blistering regardless of what Low-E clear coat Nissan puts in the paint to protect it from the sun and reduce the load on the AC system.

If you are looking at an SV/SL that shows a missing card error do not assume that its actually missing as some dealers to protect themselves remove the card and keep it locked up with the paper work because so many get stolen by folks who don't realize its pretty worthless except in the Leaf it was initially setup for.

RockyNv said:
I live in South Florida where roadway temps are over 100 degrees much of the year and have a late 2014S which while closing in on 20,000 miles the dash and LeafSpy agree I still have a strong 12 bars on the battery. In our heat I greatly prefer the cloth in the S to the leather and the S still comes with the electric windows but does not have that expensive NAV system with the proprietary memory card that is so easy to steel but cost so much without meeting the deductible on most insurance policies. NAV in my cell phone is good enough for me and more easily upgraded.

All told I would go with the one with the fewest miles on it that has the newer mid to late 2014 battery and the most confirmed bars on it .

In the Deep South I go by "White is Right" and shy away from Black or the Medium Blue color that seems so prone to pealing and blistering regardless of what Low-E clear coat Nissan puts in the paint to protect it from the sun and reduce the load on the AC system.

If you are looking at an SV/SL that shows a missing card error do not assume that its actually missing as some dealers to protect themselves remove the card and keep it locked up with the paper work because so many get stolen by folks who don't realize its pretty worthless except in the Leaf it was initially setup for.

I went and checked out what they had today (six different S models) and drove one around for about half an hour or so. Frankly, the car didn't do anything for me. Very cheap feeling - cheap stereo, cheap interior, cheap gauge displays, etc. - not what I was expecting from a car that sells for $30K to $40K new.

It drove OK, but I was hoping for slightly better performance than what I experienced (as it was much slower than what I was expecting). I thought it was going to have more room inside of it than it did too - the front was OK, but it was extremely tight in the back (even though I could have probably dealt with it) leg room wise (head room was fine).

They did still have the SV model that I saw online which had sold already, but they did let me check it out. The SV model was more along the lines of what I was expecting from a car in this price point (could deal without the leather though).

I'm really on the fence about this car after what I experienced today. For $7500 or so, I suppose it's probably a worthwhile purchase, but not at what they sell for new. Again, bear in mind this was my first pure EV car driving experience outside of a Volt I tested earlier in the year (drove it in pure EV mode as well) and I thought the Volt was a much better car. They also had a BMW i3 which I checked out and that one was nice, but also very expensive and I've also heard of the problems it has been having. Oh well, we'll see what happens in the long run - I'm going to hold off for a year to see what happens with new models that are coming out and what Nissan does with the Leaf.

Were you driving in Econo Mode or Regular Drive. In Econo Mode the throttle is greatly muted. Gauges and such are all LED and designed for low power consumption as is the radio so there are tradeoffs there. The radio is not a crazy 400Watt mega system however it is better than what you get in most Econo Boxes.

Still your one of many Goldilocks looking for what has to fit and be right for you. In my case everything is just right except for the front headrests however my main transportation at 60+ years of age has been a motorcycle for some years now and as of late a vintage 124 Fiat Spider with rally seats and diesel engine along with manual everything (no radio to compare either) so the Leaf is light years ahead in comfort and tech.

If the car you drove had a leather interior, it was an SL. The SV is the one you want - all the best features without leather. I too suspect it was in Eco mode when you drove it.

RockyNv said:
Were you driving in Econo Mode or Regular Drive. In Econo Mode the throttle is greatly muted. Gauges and such are all LED and designed for low power consumption as is the radio so there are tradeoffs there. The radio is not a crazy 400Watt mega system however it is better than what you get in most Econo Boxes.

Still your one of many Goldilocks looking for what has to fit and be right for you. In my case everything is just right except for the front headrests however my main transportation at 60+ years of age has been a motorcycle for some years now and as of late a vintage 124 Fiat Spider with rally seats and diesel engine along with manual everything (no radio to compare either) so the Leaf is light years ahead in comfort and tech.

I drove it in eco and normal mode and it was uninspiring to say the least. By comparison, I drive a Fiat 500 now and that thing isn't exactly a fast mover either, but it feels like a Ferrari compared to the Leaf. The interior just gave off the impression that it was an afterthought - this is supposed to be a high tech car, they could have at least made the inside *look* like it rather than grafting in some early 90's Toyota interior, especially given the price of these cars new. It felt like I was driving my old Toyota Corolla base model, only that car didn't cost over thirty grand when it was new. Purely my opinion mind you ;)

He's a real tire kicker. Expecting the Leaf to be a Tesla. If he liked the Fiat, then he really is off, as the Fiat 500s have been and will continue to be one of the worst cars on the road.... Next to the Yugo.

Maybe it's because I have been used to driving 90s and 00s Japanese cars, but the Leaf SV I bought feels pretty damn solid and well built to me and pretty plush. I test drove a couple SLs and the leather felt pretty cheap I agree. I have nice dark grey cloth with suede seats and suede armrests with blue pinstriping all around and it looks damn fine IMO. I agree I wouldn't pay $36k for one, but I did pay $9k and feel it's a damn good deal and great entrance into the EV life.

And unless the Fiat 500 was a turbo model, I will call BS on that too. The Leaf definitely will out accelerate the normal 100hp 500.

Back