Leaf range advice in Kansas City?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l8nighter

I am considering buying a new 2017 leaf as part of the KCPL incentive to get a $10,000 rebate along with the $7,500 federal tax credit. http://www.metroenergy.org/index.php/nissan-leaf-2016-group-buy-draft/
I would be using this leaf for my daily work car which is 44 miles round trip and would be charging at home after installing an L2 charger in my garage. 80% of the drive is on the freeway going 65 mph with the rest being side streets. Would I have any issues with range since the 2017 has over 100 mile range given our cold winters and warm summers here in Kansas City? Would I be able to get 5-10 years out of this car even if I did loose a few bars after the 5th year? And my 2nd question would be would it be worth the investment to pay for the upgraded 6.6 kw charger even though I would be using the L2 charger to charge each night? There is a fast charger near my house but I didn't know if its worth the extra money if I am always charging at home based on my 44 mile round trip to work? And finally sometimes once a month I have to visit another office location and that round trip would be 58 miles round trip, any concerns with range for that day assuming I always charge each night? Thank You so much for any help or advice.

Everything sounds doable IMO. Heck I'd do it with my '13S and only 24Kwh battery :) Probably not missing a few bars on my Leaf but on a 30Kwh battery you should be fine.
AFA the charger, personally I'd pay for the upgrade, it was the only upgrage I got on my '13S and I consider it well worth the money. It's very handy having almost double the speed charging, not so much for every day use but emergencies and such. It's also handy pulling into a HyVee or similar store than has free L2 chargers and being able to plug in for an hour and gaining ~30%(although I suppose on a 30Kwh battery you won't gain quite that much) still it's handy and double the stock S charger. I've only used the QC port a handful of times, all free at a local Nissan dealer but it was really nice to be plugged in for only 15 minutes and gaining something like 40%.
I regularly make a 60 mile trip which is no problem in the summer but in the cold winter I need to charge for at least an hour at my halfway point(at 20a 208v) but in your case with the larger battery even that should be no problem.
Note there is a Kansas City Leaf thread at MNL, you might be able to get more area specific tips on that thread :)

Latest posts

Back