40 miles highway is daily commute - will a Leaf work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeFO

Hi,

I would love to be able to get a used Leaf and stop buying so much fossil fuels. My commute is total of 44 miles a day with 40 miles being highway (I could go 65mph without being a hazard to others). My plan is to install a level 2 EVSE at home and also at work. So far from what I've read that the oldest used Leaf I should get is one made April 2013. However, I've read that battery life really drops at highway speeds. Can a Leaf be practical for me and which year used Leaf would be best for me? I live in Philadelphia area.

Thanks!

Is this a total of 44 miles or 88 miles per day? 44 is very doable, especially with Level 2 charging at both ends. 88 would be much harder in the winter, even more so as the battery ages and degrades.

Also, you should at least shop around for a deal on a new 30 kWh SV (which will get you the heat pump). The rebates and offers are amazing right now.

jhm614 said:
Is this a total of 44 miles or 88 miles per day?
It is 44 miles per day.

jhm614 said:
Also, you should at least shop around for a deal on a new 30 kWh SV (which will get you the heat pump). The rebates and offers are amazing right now.
I'll have to check that out. However, I was hoping to stick with used. Is the 30kWh available just in the new Leafs?

Thanks

ByeFO said:
Hi,

I would love to be able to get a used Leaf and stop buying so much fossil fuels. My commute is total of 44 miles a day with 40 miles being highway (I could go 65mph without being a hazard to others). My plan is to install a level 2 EVSE at home and also at work. So far from what I've read that the oldest used Leaf I should get is one made April 2013. However, I've read that battery life really drops at highway speeds. Can a Leaf be practical for me and which year used Leaf would be best for me? I live in Philadelphia area.

Thanks!
If you had a 2 bar loser and lived in somewhere that could get sub zero F, you might run into trouble but as has been said with L2 on both ends and living in TX, no problem. Note I'd still probably avoid all but a 12 bar car and post 3/'13 would be better for the heat but otherwise a Leaf sounds like a good fit for you :)
Oh for faster turnaround charging times look for a Leaf with a 6.6kw charger, a post '12 model and if you got the S look for one with the charger package, all post '12 non S models have the faster charger, no '12 or '11s have the faster charger(unless the previous owner upgraded it themselves, very rare).

You are good to get any Leaf for a 44 mi RT commute with L2 charging on each end, including the cheapest, oldest 2011 with energy hogging heater. With L2 charging at both ends, even a $5000 2011 would work for years. Get what you want (be advised that there have been significant changes and accessories added over the years). Personally, my 2011 has been great for almost 6 years and I expect another 10 is possible , though I may breakdown and upgrade after the 200 mi Leafs, Bolts, and Tesla's are available used for less than $15,000. ;)

My commute is 50-60 miles round trip, I talk to my boss and she said it was no problem plugging my Leaf in at the office. So last week I bought a 2013 with 16,500 miles on it for under $10k and it is loaded. I tried to pay my boss for the power and she turned it down. So I am happy as a clam, so far 2 weeks of commuting has been awesome especially with the HOV sticker. I expect to save $2000-$3000 on gas each year. The only problem I have had is the handle on the charging cable broke yesterday and would not disengage. I had to monkey with it to get it to release and now I have a temp fix in place.

Flipflop said:
My commute is 50-60 miles round trip, I talk to my boss and she said it was no problem plugging my Leaf in at the office. So last week I bought a 2013 with 16,500 miles on it for under $10k and it is loaded. I tried to pay my boss for the power and she turned it down. So I am happy as a clam, so far 2 weeks of commuting has been awesome especially with the HOV sticker. I expect to save $2000-$3000 on gas each year. The only problem I have had is the handle on the charging cable broke yesterday and would not disengage. I had to monkey with it to get it to release and now I have a temp fix in place.

If you are writing about the 120-volt Nissan charging unit that came with the car, it is covered by the EV system warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles so take it to a dealer rather than trying to fix the handle yourself.

For what it's worth, I have a 2015 SV with a battery with just under 60ah remaining and my commute is 36.7 miles nearly all 65 on the highway near Cleveland, OH. The worst I've seen so far is getting down to 25% during cold and snowy days with the heater going, and the best is down to 49% when it was 60 out a few weeks ago (I've only had it since January). So with a 12 bar LEAF you could probably do the whole 44 miles in all but the absolute worst weather. If you've got charging at both ends then I wouldn't be too worried.

I would like to correct so many people who feel they need to drive 65-75mph so as not be "a hazard" to other drivers. The leaf gets the best mileage at about 55mph, and is the national speed limit. I drive this speed and feel that THAT is the safe speed and those flying past me are the "HAZZARDS".

powersurge said:
The leaf gets the best mileage at about 55mph, and is the national speed limit. I drive this speed and feel that THAT is the safe speed and those flying past me are the "HAZZARDS".
I regularly drive 55 but only when conditions permit it.

Note: 55 is not the national speed limit. There is no national speed limit, it was raised to 65 in 1988 and completely repealed in 1995. The highest posted speed limit in Texas is 85 and I would definitely be a danger clogging up a lane at 55. Drive Friendly, Drive Smart! (And Drive Electric!)

I thought 70 was kind of the norm, at least it is in most areas around here, freeways that is. Highways tend to be 55 but more than often they are also increasing to 60 or even 65. While I do occasionally do 60 on the freeway, only if most of the lanes are open and in the right lane, do anything less than 70-75 in the left lane and you'll either get rear ended or ran off the road :eek:
Of course our roads are NOTHING like TN, I wouldn't do anything less than 70 on their interstates and that would be in the slow lane, fast lane is for 80+ or you'll have a semi up the rear of your car within seconds :shock:

Back