LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: 52 mile round trip commute possible/practical on '13-'14 SV

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 am

Actually, I drive a May 2013 built car.

Was your leased Leaf an April build, or am I just getting worse at remembering things?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:00 am

52-mile commute (total round trip) is fine for a LEAF with heat pump (2013 or newer SV or SL) unless temperatures are frigid. It is also easy with 2011 or 2012 if heat is not needed. You need L2 charging because there is not enough time to recharge fully with L1. My commute is 26 miles each way with 20 of those on the freeway in the carpool lane and I have had no issues in almost 6 years. I made it using A/C with the 2011 when it was down to 8 bars before Nissan put a new battery in, but there was essentially nothing left when I got home and I would have come up short in colder winter temperatures. I have no concerns with the 2015 after more than 2 years and 38k miles. I drove 10 miles after I got home last night even though the Continental tires I have now reduced my highway range by 15% (I drove 13 miles after LBW which included 6 miles after VLBW). I currently have 11 capacity bars on the 2015 (lost first bar just before 2 years).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 am

OMG, why would you buy tires that reduce range by 15%?? The stock tires are good overall, and are cheap to replace.

That means that out of 100 miles driven, you are donating 15 miles of range to the tires.....

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Actually, I drive a May 2013 built car.

Was your leased Leaf an April build, or am I just getting worse at remembering things?

No, my leased one was a June 2013 build:

viewtopic.php?p=429492#p429492
viewtopic.php?p=348704#p348704

No worries about memory. I don't remember the build months of other people's Leafs here.

My lease commenced near the end of July 2013.

The used one I bought had an OIS of around end of June 2013, so a May 2013 build month makes sense.

I recall the used car dealer (or was it NMAC?) telling me it takes maybe 3 weeks or a month (?) for a car to make it from lease return thru the system to auction. I don't recall if the end point was details available for upcoming auction, auction event itself or sold at auction.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 am

powersurge wrote:OMG, why would you buy tires that reduce range by 15%?? The stock tires are good overall, and are cheap to replace.

That means that out of 100 miles driven, you are donating 15 miles of range to the tires.....

The stock Energy Saver Michelins were about the worst tires I have owned for my driving conditions so I replaced them with much better tires and accept the range reduction. I might have considered Ecopias and would have considered Michelin MXM4s since they worked well on the 2011, but could not find them in stock. I am very happy with the Continentals because the wet traction, dry traction, and handling are far superior to the originals. Also, they show very little wear after 10k miles. A few pennies for extra electricity every night is a small price to pay for safety.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

hackdroot
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2017

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:57 pm

As the OP, I have the answer to my question now. I left for my 52 mi commute this morning in my 2013 SL at 100% charge. I don't recall, but I believe the GOM said 85miles(?) at the start.

The ride to work was taxing with an 8% and 6% grade and ~+548' net elevation change. Also, the major grades had NO traffic, so I was trying my best to not be a rolling roadblock. I got behind a truck and cruised uphill at about 50-55mph. Even at that speed it seemed the battery and GOM were just falling like a rock. Knowing that everyone is going to be at a standstill a few miles up the road, it's easy to just cruise along though. Even in my ICE I never understood the rush to get to traffic. Still, trying to not be 'that guy' who is holding up traffic in the slow lane was difficult. Got to work at 66% with 53 miles on the GOM. So far, so good.

The ride home was significantly different. A LOT more traffic and a lot of downhill regen. Cruised into my driveway at 42% battery and 40 miles left on the GOM. Trip Odo said 50.0 miles total today.

Driven in B-Eco both ways. Built close to 4 trees. As ridiculous as that indicator seems, it became a game on the way home to see how well I could do. To be honest I wasn't really holding up traffic in my efforts to see how economical I could be. I just wasn't in as much of a hurry to get to the next backup.

Very encouraged by my initial run.
2013 Leaf SL (12/2013) + Premium package 31,000 miles - 58.8AHr - 89%SOH

GRA

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 pm

hackdroot wrote:As the OP, I have the answer to my question now. I left for my 52 mi commute this morning in my 2013 SL at 100% charge. I don't recall, but I believe the GOM said 85miles(?) at the start.

The ride to work was taxing with an 8% and 6% grade and ~+548' net elevation change. Also, the major grades had NO traffic, so I was trying my best to not be a rolling roadblock. I got behind a truck and cruised uphill at about 50-55mph. Even at that speed it seemed the battery and GOM were just falling like a rock. Knowing that everyone is going to be at a standstill a few miles up the road, it's easy to just cruise along though. Even in my ICE I never understood the rush to get to traffic. Still, trying to not be 'that guy' who is holding up traffic in the slow lane was difficult. Got to work at 66% with 53 miles on the GOM. So far, so good.

The ride home was significantly different. A LOT more traffic and a lot of downhill regen. Cruised into my driveway at 42% battery and 40 miles left on the GOM. Trip Odo said 50.0 miles total today.

Driven in B-Eco both ways. Built close to 4 trees. As ridiculous as that indicator seems, it became a game on the way home to see how well I could do. To be honest I wasn't really holding up traffic in my efforts to see how economical I could be. I just wasn't in as much of a hurry to get to the next backup.

Now you just need to try it in the rain when you need defrost, or when it's as windy as it was a week or two back (trees were coming down all over here), and see if you get tired of having to drive to meet the car's needs rather than your own. I hope it works out for you.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

hackdroot
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2017

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 pm

GRA wrote:Now you just need to try it in the rain when you need defrost, or when it's as windy as it was a week or two back (trees were coming down all over here), and see if you get tired of having to drive to meet the car's needs rather than your own. I hope it works out for you.

Actually it was windy. 15mph with 18mph gusts.
2013 Leaf SL (12/2013) + Premium package 31,000 miles - 58.8AHr - 89%SOH

GRA

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

hackdroot wrote:
GRA wrote:Now you just need to try it in the rain when you need defrost, or when it's as windy as it was a week or two back (trees were coming down all over here), and see if you get tired of having to drive to meet the car's needs rather than your own. I hope it works out for you.

Actually it was windy. 15mph with 18mph gusts.

Good. I assume no rain/defrost use today, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any this week - you just missed it ;)
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 pm

hackdroot wrote:As the OP, I have the answer to my question now. I left for my 52 mi commute this morning in my 2013 SL at 100% charge. I don't recall, but I believe the GOM said 85miles(?) at the start.

Sweet! I've found in my mountainous commute that only the uphills matter, if you can make it UP you can make it DOWN again. My commute is opposite and I have to climb 500ft to make it home, but I do! Happy Leafing!
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”