Questions on options, dealer process, etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honestabe

Still thinking.

The local dealer wants me to order online. Is this a scam to get me to pay full list price or is this mandatory? The USAA Buying Service gave me 3 other dealers (best is 76 miles away).

Dealer....Price...."documentation fee" (read "additional profit").....Distance to Dealer
...1.....$37,701.........$339.........................................................40 miles
...2.....$36,901.........$599.........................................................80 miles
...3.....$37,801.........$599........................................................100 miles

USAA info says invoice is $36901 as configured. MSRP as configured $38325

The price includes
[B94] Protection package
[C03] State Emissions (I think this is a no-charge option)
Supposedly they all offer "free home delivery" but there are limitations on distance. Also, my guess is they will have "required" local options added on. We'll see.

What other things should I get?
I might ask for a third key fob (experience from my Hybrid Camry) thrown in at no extra cost or at reduced cost

Waiting to hear from the 3 dealers.

Ordering on line is not a scam - it is the way the large majority of us purchased a LEAF. Go to: https://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/login/auth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You pay a refundable $99 reservation fee, select the car and options you want, and then pick a dealer. You and the dealer settle on a price for the desired car. Many sell at MSRP, some, especially in CA, discount from MSRP.

If a dealer has cars on his lot, then it is no different than buying any car - just get the best deal you can on what he has available.

LEAFs on a dealer's lot are commonly referred to as 'orphans'- cars that were ordered and the buyers backed out, making them available for the dealer to sell as he pleases. I, for one, do not think all the dealer's stock are orphans - just too many of them available for them to all be buyer rejects.

Bill

honestabe said:
Still thinking.

The local dealer wants me to order online. Is this a scam to get me to pay full list price or is this mandatory? The USAA Buying Service gave me 3 other dealers (best is 76 miles away).

Dealer Price "documentation fee" (read "additional profit") Distance to Dealer
1 $37,701 $339 40 miles
2 $36,901 $599 80 miles
3 $37,801 $599 100 miles
USAA info says invoice is $36901 as configured. MSRP as configured $38325

The price includes
[B94] Protection package
[C03] State Emissions (I think this is a no-charge option)
Supposedly they all offer "free home delivery" but there are limitations on distance. Also, my guess is they will have "required" local options added on. We'll see.
The Nissan LEAF website should give you a better idea of costs, as will the first post in the Trims, Features, Accessories, MSRP, Invoice Prices thread. Before selecting a dealer to "Request a Quote" on the Nissan website, it is a good idea to first call around and pick the best deal and a dealer you are comfortable with. If your state is competitive you ought to be able to get a discount below MSRP. But in some states in which LEAF ordering isn't competitive you might not get much better than MSRP. Try not to pay any extra for add-on fees like those you have described above. You will have to pay the $850 Destination and Delivery fee (D&D) but be sure that you know whether or not it is included in your RAQ price before you accept it. If you don't like your RAQ price, don't accept it and switch to another dealer. Again, it helps to line up a good dealer first.

If you really can't do better than MSRP, consider buying an "orphan" from a dealer in another state, such as California, and paying for car transport to your home city. (2012 LEAFs are currently being sold for ~$2000 below MSRP at two California dealers.)
What other things should I get?
I might ask for a third key fob (experience from my Hybrid Camry) thrown in at no extra cost or at reduced cost

Waiting to hear from the 3 dealers.
You could try for an extra key fob, but they are quite expensive so the dealer might not be willing to go for that unless you are willing to pay. As for what options are available, they are listed on the Nissan website and there are threads here discussing the pros and cons of each. If you want to know about specific accessories, just ask and you will get several opinions rather quickly.

Also, if you post what state and dealers you are considering, you might get some feedback from others who live near you and which dealers they found good to work with. Some are terrific, others so-so, a few meet all the stereotypes of shady car dealers.

So what is the [B94] Protection package? I still don't understand. Can someone really explain it? I can't find a real explanation anywhere.

honestabe said:
So what is the [B94] Protection package? I still don't understand. Can someone really explain it? I can't find a real explanation anywhere.
You can get a better idea from the post by Skywagon in this thread. The consensus seems to be that the protection package isn't worth the money (the area covered by the front part is much too small). There are better third party alternatives.

Back