Fox news and EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oobflyer

Wow, Fox "news" is quite the joke isn't it. Did you know they recently got caught red-handed lying about global warming?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201012090003

There's no doubt in my mind that big oil is influencing the network.

They should have thanked you, Olivier, for being a concerned American who has taken a big step to help reduce greenhouse emissions and reduce global warming which affects all life on earth.

We can all do our part to help (I commute on electrons as well, via my Vectrix). I'll be getting an electric car someday soon, but AeroEnvironment tried to overtly scam me out of $3000, so I cancelled my LEAF reservation because of them. Hopefully other manufacturers won't fall into the same monopoly trap like Nissan did with AeroEnvironment.

oobflyer said:
Wow, Fox "news" is quite the joke isn't it. Did you know they recently got caught red-handed lying about global warming?

They should have thanked you, Olivier, for being a concerned American who has taken a big step to help reduce greenhouse emissions and reduce global warming which affects all life on earth.

We can all do our part to help (I commute on electrons as well, via my Vectrix). I'll be getting an electric car someday soon, but AeroEnvironment tried to overtly scam me out of $3000, so I cancelled my LEAF reservation because of them. Hopefully other manufacturers won't fall into the same monopoly trap like Nissan did with AeroEnvironment.

Do you really believe everything you see/hear/read?? So, you say "big oil" is influencing Fox? Some proof please? :lol:

derkraut said:
So, you say "big oil" is influencing Fox? Some proof please? :lol:
A Saudi prince is the largest newscorp shareholder outside the Murdoch family. Anything biggers than Saudi in oil ?

evnow said:
derkraut said:
A Saudi prince is the largest newscorp shareholder outside the Murdoch family. Anything biggers than Saudi in oil ?

So....I hold a significant number of shares in Bank of America. As a result, I can influence B0fA operations? You gotta be kidding. :lol:

I own the stock because I think it will appreciate in value. :idea:

What I like most about Faux News is what the populous in other countries think of the Network. Remember, most of the world does not keep up on "red state" propaganda so alot of Faux's crazy verbage and tactics is lost on everyone. Probably why the network is always so excited to go to war with everyone. Kinda sad really. :p

derkraut said:
So....I hold a significant number of shares in Bank of America. As a result, I can influence B0fA operations? You gotta be kidding. :lol:
Comparing your influence on BOA with that of Prince Alwaleed on Newscorp. :lol:

Do you get asked about BOA succession plans by Clarlie Rose ?

http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/wire/6055

Alwaleed bin Talal, the Saudi Arabian prince who holds the largest stake in News Corporation outside the Murdoch clan, has thrown his backing behind the succession of James Murdoch as the next head of the company.

Prince Alwaleed, whose business Kingdom Holdings owns a seven per cent stake in the business run by Rupert Murdoch, yesterday called James “Rupert Murdoch in the making”.

Murdoch has depended on Prince Alwaleed to keep his control of Newscorp.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/06/alwaleed-murdoch-billionaires-cx_gl_0906autofacescan02.html

"Alwaleed meets Murdoch to discuss alliances"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/alwaleed-meets-murdoch-to-discuss-alliances-2010-01-16

So, no doubt Alwaleed can influence Fox News if he wants to.

ps : Personally I don't think Fox's anti-EV stance has anything to do with the prince. It has all to do with the "fact" that "librals" like EVs.

Derkraut will be back here in a second. He is busy trying to stomp out the fire I set to Faux news on the other thread. :p

What I like most about Faux News is what the populous in other countries think of the Network. Remember, most of the world does not keep up on "red state" propaganda so alot of Faux's crazy verbage and tactics is lost on everyone. Probably why the network is always so excited to go to war with everyone. Kinda sad really.

So you know what other countries think of a TV network? What, the entire population? Who speaks for that entire country? What is red state propoganda? Is that like blue state propoganda? And the whole network is excited to go to war? How do you figure this?

I thought this thread was about what someone found out about the car.

I don't think that Fox News gets marching orders from the Saudis. I also do not know that every news show on Fox would have the exact same perspective as Eric Bolling.

Fox News opinion shows are generally disinclined to support subsidies of any sort, based upon a general distrust of government initiatives. Fair enough.

Unfortunately, it is far easier to identify the subsidy for electric vehicles, than it is to parse out the defense expenditures required to keep the Arabian Peninsula in one piece.

Train said:
So you know what other countries think of a TV network? What, the entire population? Who speaks for that entire country? What is red state propoganda? Is that like blue state propoganda? And the whole network is excited to go to war? How do you figure this?

Derkraut is that you?!? You could at least try to write differently. Not fair switching screen names dude... :p

All news cares about is ratings to gain advertising revenue.
They will always try to hit the hot point angle to increase readership or viewers.
Very little to do with actual reporting of the generally boring facts.
Sensationalism is what brings in the money.

smkettner said:
All news cares about is ratings to gain advertising revenue.
They will always try to hit the hot point angle to increase readership or viewers.
Very little to do with actual reporting of the generally boring facts.
Sensationalism is what brings in the money.

I sure miss Who, What, When, Where, Why and How :!:

Are you the 2nd largest shareholder in bofa?
if so, please look into the foreclosure fiasco,
if not, the comparison is ludicrous.

derkraut said:
evnow said:
derkraut said:

I own the stock because I think it will appreciate in value. :idea:

planet4ever said:
No EV manufacturer in his right mind would let you charge a lithium battery to 100% of its total capacity. The choice we are being given is to charge to (about) 90% or to charge to (about) 75%. What's so hard to understand about that?

If I can toss in my 2¢ worth on lithium batteries. I've flown model airplanes for many decades and have several years of electric-powered models using Lithium Polymer battery technology and we can pull upwards of 100amps out of our small packs (which can cost upwards of $300) we typically use.

Yes, you can charge a lithium battery to 100% but you have to sneak up to it. All of my smart chargers will charge at rates of 1C (4.4Ah into a 4400mAh pack or 1 hour to fully charge a depleted pack) until roughly a 95% level is reached. The charge rate then tapers off to a lower rate to slowly "fill" the battery to full capacity.

As in all rechargeable batteries (with the exception of A123 or Lithium Iron Phosphate) charging at a lower rate will always extend the life of the battery pack. The ideal charging rate for the majority of rechargeable batteries is a C/10 or taking 10 hours to fully charge a depleted pack. The L2 home charger @ 8 hrs is pretty close to this ideal. Full charges in cold weather is hard to achieve and quite harsh on the packs we use.

oobflyer said:

During October and November the leaf was heavily advertised on foxnews.com.
I also have seen the polar bear commercial several times while watching fox.
I hear them consistently bashing the dependence on middle east oil, so someone there did not get the memo from the prince.

Hello gudy,

Sorry for bother you with so many questions but, if you have time, with your added experience, can you tell us what's your advice in terms of average speed, to reach, with confidence, at least 90 miles distance on one charge?

Thank you so much.

Please stay on topic folks. There's a politics forum near the bottom of the page for the Fox/Faux/News/Propaganda argument. I just want to hear from gudy about the Leaf.

Pipemajor said:
planet4ever said:
No EV manufacturer in his right mind would let you charge a lithium battery to 100% of its total capacity. The choice we are being given is to charge to (about) 90% or to charge to (about) 75%. What's so hard to understand about that?

Yes, you can charge a lithium battery to 100% but you have to sneak up to it.

that is SOP in the charging world and experience HAS PROVEN that does not work. it is apparently too difficult to hit 100% without going over. and it only takes a very little bit of going over to reduce pack capacity. problems is, that charging is something that will be done 300-400 times a year.

so lets say we charge to 100.01% all those times. in a year, we may have lost 3% MORE capacity than normal. now dont quote me on this because i have not a clue as to the EXACT damage overcharging does. but basically EVERYTIME u overcharge, you WILL lose some capacity. granted, it makes sense that just having the ability to charge to 100% seems unlikely.

problem is, we have a moving target to hit. changes in temperature will change pack capacity. theis something that the system cant away judge. its the reason why weather is temperate on the west coast. we have an onshore flow about 97% of the time. that pretty much prevents us from getting snow (we get a LOT of fog). the only time we get snow is when we have a major arctic flow that overcomes the warming of the oceans, or we get an off shore flow which happens 1-2 days a month around here.

all in all, the REAL differential between EV manufacturers is how well they do charge management. so i would have to assume that Nissan's 100% is probably only 95% or some safe range that will overcome a high percentage of thermal situations.

so this begs the question; if Nissan has charge management down so well, then why do we need the 80% setting??

1) mostly because over 75% of us can COMFORTABLY use the reduced range without issues

2)there is ALWAYS a better way. its funny that the 80% figure is selected but we have seen that before. the current battery management king; the Prius runs its SOC from 40-80%. they already have cars in the wild whose traction batteries should have lost capacity 150,000 miles ago. that fact is hard to ignore.

so this brings up another thought; what is the warranty based on? 100% or 80% charging?. well we can all read what we want (if a warranty exists) but i have to say that the 80% setting should take us waaaay beyond the warranty claims and the 100% should take us comfortably beyond the warranty claims.

now lithium charge management has dramatically improved over the past few years. we probably have not noticed it because the things we charge; cellphones, laptops, MP3's etc have "appeared" to loose battery capacity which actually is not true.

our newer devices have 3 times the capabilities of previous devices so having half the battery life still means a 50% improvement in performance.

so things like charging your cellphone for no more than one hour with a car charger and only if absolutely necessary is something you should heed carefully.

Would the mods pls have a look at this thread? It's been split pretty badly with two threads intertwined, and it's hard to follow!

Back