Philadelphia and Southeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, for those of you in the Bryn Mawr, PA area... I'm on the board of the Ludington Public Library and now that I'm a Leaf owner, I've started an effort get a public Type2 charge installed in the parking lot.

So, before I pitch a particular charger... do people have preferences on manufacturer? Type? etc?

Cool.

I don't get down there much, but will certainly try it.

I've been trying to find one in the "Main Line" area, but have not found anything. We really need more of these.

This is what the turnpike should be installing.

caross said:
Cool.

I've been trying to find one in the "Main Line" area, but have not found anything. We really need more of these.

I drove down to check it out again.
Overall, It took more energy to go and come back then I was able to get.. but great fun.
As far as I know, It's the only DCQC we have closer than Northern VA.

Regarding the DCQC's on the PA Turnpike, I found articles going back as far as 2010 stating their plans, and this is the most recent thing I could find.
http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/843397_Electric-vehicle-charging-stations-to-be-installed-on-Pennsylvania-Turnpike-this-summer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the most part, the "infrastructure" people don't seem to understand that installing an EVSE (L2) that takes 4 to 6 hours to get you going again is not really be that much help.
It's OK for restaurants, Airports, car-parks, Libraries :p and shopping malls, but not gas stations and rest areas.

The Exxon station down the street installed 2 Leviton L2 EVSE, and while I applaud them for intent, the station isn't really near anything, and who is going to spend hours in an Exxon station unless they are in real trouble?

If PA actually installs DCQC's at all service plazas, then I will be truly amazed.
Somebody in the PA DOT organization either actually knows what they are doing or owns an EV (or both!)

This would be California grade implementation, and as far as I know, would make us only the second State to get a system like this in place.
I don't travel the turnpike's that much anymore, so I don't know how far apart the service centers are.

As our Super New "Vegas" Blink DCQC that has been broken for a month shows, these things break.
If you don't have enough charge to skip a broken station and make it to the next one, somebody's trip to Grandma's is going to fall off the rails.

caross said:
Cool.

is villanova close by? they might have one

apvbguy said:
caross said:
Cool.

is villanova close by? they might have one

If you pull up the Plugshare map, it shows pretty much every EVSE in the country, regardless of who installed it, or who owns it.
It's not about "Might have one".
You can even find privately owned EVSE on there.
Mine are on there (and you are free to use them) :)

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread appears to have been vacant for a while, but I'll throw myself into it. Leased my LEAF last week, really enjoying it so far. I live in East Greenville, it's a tiny burg about 15 miles north of Pottstown...or 12 miles south of Allentown. Cow country. Having a 240 line installed at home, but also fortunate enough to have one being installed where I park at work, so I can charge for free. There's a free charge port at the local Chevy dealer, three miles from me, but probably won't need it much.

Klayfish said:
This thread appears to have been vacant for a while, but I'll throw myself into it. Leased my LEAF last week, really enjoying it so far. I live in East Greenville, it's a tiny burg about 15 miles north of Pottstown...or 12 miles south of Allentown. Cow country. Having a 240 line installed at home, but also fortunate enough to have one being installed where I park at work, so I can charge for free. There's a free charge port at the local Chevy dealer, three miles from me, but probably won't need it much.

Great! Welcome!

Looks as if Quick Charging is starting up in the Philly area. Right now just 2 locations: Flying J at Carneys Point, NJ (Blink) and Wyndham Hotel at Mt. Laurel, NJ (Greenlots). Both look to be convenient to the NJ Turnpike. It's a start! Those locations may open up interesting areas of NJ, DE, and MD to be accessed conveniently by my LEAF.

I remember when the 1st public charging point in Philly (I think it was also the first in PA) was unveiled at the Liberty filling station on Columbus and Tasker not so long ago (I think maybe early spring 2011). I've used that EVSE 2 or 3 times since I got my LEAF in Feb 2012 to pick up a few miles while I ate in the Burger King right down the street.

This is a REAL improvement from July 2011, when I rented the Hertz LEAF at the Seward Park Coop in lower Manhattan and drove it here to Philly! At the time, they only place I could charge on the way was at the parking garage at the train station in Hamilton NJ. Now I see that Seward Park has installed one of the first quick chargers in Manhattan.

Even though it seems like things are moving at a snail's pace, it's nothing short of amazing how much things have changed in the last 2 1/2 years. For almost 2 years of that time, I've been happily driving my LEAF as my ONLY car

and Wyndham Hotel at Mt. Laurel, NJ

Interesting.
I have used the Blink in Carneys Point many times.
I see this new one on Plugshare.
Thanks for the heads-up.

The one in Carneys Point is handy on the way to Delaware.
I'm hoping somebody figures out that the rest area on the AC expressway
(or somewhere there-abouts. Winslow, Hammonton?) would be a really great place for an L3.

Has anyone Heard anything about the PROMISED L3's in every PA turnpike rest area that were supposed to be well underway by now??

I just had a quick look at the charging point at the 7-Eleven on the northeast end of the Boulevard at Bensalem. It's a AV J1772 unit like what is normally found at a Nissan dealer on the left wall of the building, so it requires card to activate. But the cord is only long enough to reach the 1st parking space adjacent to the building, which is marked "handicapped". What's up with that? Only handicapped are allowed to charge here?

Still, probably useful as a last-ditch, emergency charge point. However, I would favor using the Walgreens 2 miles up the road at the corner of Street Rd & Bustleton; at least it's not a handicapped space! It's right across the street from the Suburban Diner and right next to a Burger King, so one could grab a bite to eat while charging at Walgreens.

tps said:
It's going to be a long wait until fall 2011
I wrote those words back in October 2010 in the very first post of this thread, and it was a long wait until February 2012, when my LEAF finally arrived. I've been driving it for almost 2 years now. Still the best car I've ever had; the last couple years have been very enjoyable. I have to thank Nissan for making a real commitment to electric vehicles.

As 2013 draws to a close, is there any more news about the PA Turnpike Service Plaza quick chargers? IIRC some, if not all, of the installations were supposed to be done in 2013, but I have yet to see any of them on Plugshare...

Looks as if Conicelli Nissan now has a DC Quick Charger; its listed on Plugshare. Anyone checked it out. yet?

Plugshare also shows on up by Trenton, but it is questionable if it is open to the public.

Also, a little out of the way for us, but it looks like there is a Quick Charger at the Seward Park Coop in lower Manhattan. This is the site where I rented the Hertz LEAF almost 3 years ago.

I'd be interested in hearing stories about Quick Charging in our area.

tps said:
Looks as if Conicelli Nissan now has a DC Quick Charger; its listed on Plugshare. Anyone checked it out. yet?

Plugshare also shows on up by Trenton, but it is questionable if it is open to the public.

Also, a little out of the way for us, but it looks like there is a Quick Charger at the Seward Park Coop in lower Manhattan. This is the site where I rented the Hertz LEAF almost 3 years ago.

I'd be interested in hearing stories about Quick Charging in our area.

I just noticed the one at Conicelli's !
They now make a nice little triangle around me.
The one "up near Trenton" is in a Wyndham, is FREE for now, and requires a greenlots RFID tag.
I just ordered one..
Anyone used the Conicelli unit?
What's the story?

Back