Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
But remember, the vast majority of 11-12 LEAFs on the road today have some amount of noticeable battery degradation. Eventually the battery will become unserviceable for a whole host of issues. A replacement battery will cost somewhere between $0 & $6000. And most 2011 LEAFs will be going out of battery warranty next year.
At $6-7K, a four year old LEAF seems like a great deal provided the range is adequate for what it'll be used for. Sure, the capacity warranty will most likely not apply, but there's still the 8 year / 100k mile warranty on the basic functioning of the battery. So, for that price, one can drive around locally for at least another four years with most likely only minimal maintenance, and low "fueling" costs. Even assuming the value of the car is essentially zero at the end of that period, one is losing at most about $1500/year to depreciation. That's peanuts compared to the depreciation on a newer vehicle, and it beats driving a typical beater used car.

No, six years is actually not long at all for a car these days...

Valdemar said:
Is 6 years a very long time? If the stars align after 6 years and 120,000 miles my 11 Leaf will cost me about $350/mo including the cost of charging it, it won't be trash but in need of a new battery for sure. I'll likely pay less overall than I would have for 2 consecutive 20,000 mile/year leases for an equivalent car.

My 3 year cost of a '13 SV w/ all options will be about $6k. 2 consecutive leases would be 12k. All this with zero worries and newer car to driver around.

Unless someone can't get a similar deal or needs to drive a lot of miles, why buy used ?

Ofcourse if you need to drive a lot of miles a used '11 may not be the best option to begin with.

Given the heavy depreciation LEAFs have experienced, I wouldn't expect lease costs to remain that low unless Nissan/NMAC desires to continue subsidizing leases. Are the leases that low today?

If you want a local-only car for a teenager, buying used makes more sense than leasing. There's a stronger chance of the car getting damaged and soiled. It's better not to have to answer to NMAC.

Others in the market for $7K used cars are likely to have trouble qualifying for good terms on a lease.

Personally, if I were acquiring another "affordable" (non-Tesla) EV, I'd want something newer with more range and a better battery, and this is the advice I'd give to most people. A 2016 LEAF with a 30 kWh pack, or perhaps a Kia Soul EV, would be relatively attractive. Still, I think that anyone in a multi-car family shopping for a cheap used car would be well advised to consider LEAFs.

When I bought my 2014, used Leafs made no sense at all. Price was very close than new, after taxes. But I guess this make the insurance settlement better than it could have been...

In some ways, nice to see that a used Leaf is becoming an option. If I needed another car in my household, I'd consider a Leaf. The likely driver of this car (currently has a Prius) would love this.

dhanson865 said:
OrientExpress said:
My pleasure.
I must say that despite the low prices, I really can't recommend buying a 2011 or 12 LEAF. And my advice at this point is not directed generally about the car, but rather the Gen-1 battery. The rest of the car is the most reliable trouble-free car that i have ever driven. This is the first car that I had ever had that had NO warranty claims on it for it's entire warranty.

So if you don't care about the battery, or the many inefficient ways it does thing s, then by all means get one.

But remember, the vast majority of 11-12 LEAFs on the road today have some amount of noticeable battery degradation. Eventually the battery will become unserviceable for a whole host of issues. A replacement battery will cost somewhere between $0 & $6000. And most 2011 LEAFs will be going out of battery warranty next year.

So, why not just spend that the $8K that you were going to spend plus the $6000 or less that you will need to spend on a replacement battery and get a 2013-15 LEAF instead? You will get so much more; A better Battery, a better HVAC, a better charger, a better motor, better software, a better ride & handling, a better body structure, A lot of betters!

And so it is, the life of a Version 1, rev 0 product.

If you think you can buy a used 2015 or very late year 2014 at that price go for it but 2013 battery packs are degrading at roughly the same rate as 2012 packs did as far as I can tell.

The 2014 packs are mostly the same as the 2013 (rumor is some late 2014 leafs got the 2015 pack but we have no idea on how many or where the changeover started).

There is a fresh query in another thread from a user looking at a 2013 in San Jose with SOH of 90%. 1 bar loss happens at 85% and there are two 2011 Leafs in the wiki with the first bar lost around 22 to 36 months. The poster didn't give us date of manufacture so if we guess June then that car is around 24 months in and on track for losing the first bar within the first 36 months. Nothing impressive to me there.

I'm willing to say there might be a very slight improvement for a 2013 Leaf but I wouldn't pay any extra for the pack change.

In fact I just bought a 2012 SL with SOH of 83% earlier this year and it is down to 81% now. I have no regrets vs the data I'm seeing coming in for SOH on the 2013 Leafs discussed on mynissanleaf.com. At the time of purchase I got it for $8995 and the cheapest 2013 Leafs were several thousand more. If I could have found a 2013 with a higher SOH at a close enough price I would have payed more for higher SOH% but not because it was a 2013.

So in short

* don't pay more for 2013 vs 2012
* do pay more for SOH % if you need it and can trust it (beware of resets)

So we now have a 2013 3 bar loser from Arizona in the wiki.

Hopefully we can put to bed the false rumor that 2013 leafs have a better battery. Or at least acknowledge that the difference isn't worth paying for.

werdnawerdna said:
Where are you guys finding $8k used LEAFs? I did a thorough price search in January and the lowest I found was $11k.

go to http://www.autotrader.com/ and

change make to Nissan
change model to Leaf
change price to $8000
press search
change the miles at the top to "any distance"

cheapest one is $5999 83,067 miles
8 others under $8000 in the results

dhanson865 said:
werdnawerdna said:
Where are you guys finding $8k used LEAFs? I did a thorough price search in January and the lowest I found was $11k.

go to http://www.autotrader.com/

...8 others under $8000 in the results

Yes, selecting the eight cheapest LEAFs out of the1,872 for sale on that site is the sure way to find a realcreampuff ...

Most (all?) of the eight are in SOCAL, BTW.

Wonder why that is?

edatoakrun said:
Yes, selecting the eight cheapest LEAFs out of the1,872 for sale on that site is the sure way to find a real creampuff ...

Most (all?) of the eight are in SOCAL, BTW.
I just did a search from Dallas, Texas.
Found one for $8787 with ~68,000 miles and it shows 12 bars. (BMS reset anyone?) No SD card either.
There's another for $6000 with ~83,000 miles. No pictures, so no guess as to how many battery bars are left.

aarond12 said:
I just did a search from Dallas, Texas.
Found one for $8787 with ~68,000 miles and it shows 12 bars. (BMS reset anyone?) No SD card either.
There's another for $6000 with ~83,000 miles. No pictures, so no guess as to how many battery bars are left.

Pictures from dealers are not reliable. I bought a used Leaf from a used car dealer and the pictures didn't show the rear view camera (and possibly other discrepancies I may have forgotten) but when I showed up to look at it the car was a 2012 SL with no damage and every possible feature.

Homelink mirror, chademo, heated seats, rear view camera, solar panel, etcetera.

Every used car is a pig in a poke until you go check it out thoroughly. Take leafspy app / ODBII adapter / phone, take a portable air compressor to put air in the tires / check tire pressure, look for damage, check with the dealer service records, test drive, research car history in any way you can (bar loss wiki and forum search by VIN, google search VIN, autocheck/carfax).

I've seen cars on a lot at $14,000 in worse shape than cars on another lot at $8,000. Don't let asking price fool you into thinking the car is in better shape than it really is.

evnow said:
My 3 year cost of a '13 SV w/ all options will be about $6k. 2 consecutive leases would be 12k. All this with zero worries and newer car to driver around.

Unless someone can't get a similar deal or needs to drive a lot of miles, why buy used ?

Ofcourse if you need to drive a lot of miles a used '11 may not be the best option to begin with.
Huh? Are you talking about the total cost of lease for a 3 year lease on a '13 Leaf SV w/both packages? If so, that was complete fantasy land in Cailfornia by the time I leased, even w/the $2500 CVRP.

I missed one really good round of prices (long story) and can detail how much it cost me to lease for 2 years (more than that, even w/VPP) and what I recall about 3 years, at the time. We also have no sales tax exemption on EVs here.

cwerdna said:
Huh? Are you talking about the total cost of lease for a 3 year lease on a '13 Leaf SV w/both packages? If so, that was complete fantasy land in Cailfornia by the time I leased, even w/the $2500 CVRP.
Actually, $6,500 = $2,000+36*$125. This was originally 24 months, extending by 1 year. Something good about a down payment.

I got VPP + Loyalty discount.

evnow said:
cwerdna said:
Actually, $6,500 = $2,000+36*$125. This was originally 24 months, extending by 1 year. Something good about a down payment.

I got VPP + Loyalty discount.

Which trim? Allowed annual mileage?

dhanson865 said:
Pictures from dealers are not reliable. I bought a used Leaf from a used car dealer and the pictures didn't show the rear view camera (and possibly other discrepancies I may have forgotten) but when I showed up to look at it the car was a 2012 SL with no damage and every possible feature.

Homelink mirror, chademo, heated seats, rear view camera, solar panel, etcetera.

Every used car is a pig in a poke until you go check it out thoroughly. Take leafspy app / ODBII adapter / phone, take a portable air compressor to put air in the tires / check tire pressure, look for damage, check with the dealer service records, test drive, research car history in any way you can (bar loss wiki and forum search by VIN, google search VIN, autocheck/carfax).

I've seen cars on a lot at $14,000 in worse shape than cars on another lot at $8,000. Don't let asking price fool you into thinking the car is in better shape than it really is.
Agree... I've seen many Craigslist listings where the pics clearly didn't match w/what was listed (e.g. picture of an '11 or '12 when they were advertising a '13). Or sometimes, a listing has multiple Leafs lumped into one ad.

evnow said:
Valdemar said:
Which trim? Allowed annual mileage?

SV + 2 packages. Didn't want SL because of leather. I think annual mileage of 12k (I'm always short, so don't remember).
You got an insanely good deal, possibly because you leased when they had incredible deals combined w/VPP and that loyalty discount (don't know anything about that) AND no sales tax. I couldn't lease that early and we have no sales tax exemption. My lease began 7/28/13, when the incredible deals got replaced by much worse ones.

Even the guy that was going around helping people (was sending business to a dealer I didn't like, had a bad personal experience w/them years ago and 2 other folks also did) said he couldn't get me a better deal.

My deal for a '13 SV w/both packages as well, was outlined at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=431999#p431999 (12K miles/year allowed). And, since I didn't want to risk putting anything down, that would've made extending another year (w/2 months free) about $3140 additional.

Even now, an SV w/no packages (at least advertised at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20197) is more than what you paid for 3 years AFTER $2500 CVRP. And, you gotta add tax (8.75% for me?) to that.

Here are the August '15 Wholesale numbers for the 2011 LEAF SL.

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-08-21-15.jpg

Got a note from Nissan today.

They are
willing to give me big money for (my car)
$7000 less reconditioning. haha.

I got a good laugh. At this point I may be one of the last to still hold onto my early 2011. It's paid for and I'm sure we'll eventually purchase a new battery for it, since it does not look like we will qualify for one under warranty. Probably only 3 bars lost at 5 years. Fortunately my wife only uses it for local errands and her 10 mile drive to work.

IMG_6437.jpg

Black Book Value is pretty much the same as the auction pricing, so this matches the posts from Manheim Auctions.

edit: oh, and I scratched off the hologram and it had three stars which indicated I was a winner. In the small print there was a website that showed what I won instead of going into the dealership, and guess what...I won $1000 off of any new car purchase.

Back