2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o00scorpion00o said:
You'll have to use the DC charger a lot more than this to increase your reported leafspy stats. Even charging at 6.6 Kw as much as you can will make a notable difference, of course that also means driving a lot. I drive 80-85 miles a day son to be about 90.

All my charges have been using L2 at 6.6Kw. :)

o00scorpion00o said:
Mostly when I charge I do not set an end timer , setting an end timer risks not allowing the battery to fully balance.

I only set an end timer when I want to charge to 50-70 % when I don't need a full or 80% charge.
That is exactly what I did last month when I tried increasing stats. While QCs increase stats in the short term, not sure how good it is for the life of the battery - may be marginal reduction?

manidhan said:
I only set an end timer when I want to charge to 50-70 % when I don't need a full or 80% charge.
That is exactly what I did last month when I tried increasing stats. While QCs increase stats in the short term, not sure how good it is for the life of the battery - may be marginal reduction?[/quote]

I think my main point being , don't worry about the battery.

I don't think a lot of DC charging is bad, not in the 24 Kwh at least and not if it's not getting your battery hot, the 30 Kwh charges faster and gets hotter, even in an Irish climate, the 30 Kwh allows full charger power until about 90% where as the 24 Kwh starts to ramp down from about 50%.

I got my 2nd battery report done on the leaf and I got 5 stars for everything, I've seen reports that give 3 - 4 stars. That's after 2 years and 35,600 miles.

It would be interesting to see if you went on a QC binge whether your stats would climb further.

Latest readings for our 2015 SV @ 100%

AHr=56.34
SOH=90%
HX=85.58%
SOC=97.2%
ODO=4099 - WE DON'T DRIVE MUCH!
Temp=67°

2015 SV LEAF - MFG 10/14 - IN SERVICE 9/30/2015
-----
Below are the best test results we had last year...

AHr=62.03
SOH=99%
HX=95.88%
SOC=95.7%
ODO=2522
Temp=87°

Had an interesting experience yesterday. I drove a little over 200 miles yesterday and hit the QC 3 times and L2 once at lunch. My Leaf Spy stats have jumped! Just FYI my car is a 8/13 SV with 28k miles been living in Colorado its whole life and from what I can tell it had pretty decent stats to start with. Also temperatures were between 20F and 40F and back down to 20F on the way home yesterday, and even some snow.

When I bought the car it had 61.8AH and Hx and SOH were both around 92-93%, no screenshots of that unfortunately.

These are the stats leaving the house, notice they got better since I bought the car. 62.5Ah, SOH = 95%, Hx = 96.25%

Screenshot_2017-01-14-09-10-18.png

After my 2nd QC of the day the stats jump to 62.8Ah, SOH 95%, Hx = 96.6%

Screenshot_2017-01-14-11-48-26_1.png

I QCed one more time on the way home but didn't check the stats after that.

Then I turn on my car this morning after 100% L2 charge and here's the numbers, 64.68 AH, SOH = 98%, Hx = 99%

Screenshot_2017-01-15-09-23-43.png

Not only are my stats better, but it appears my cell balance is also better. I guess I'm just going to keep an eye on the stats and try and figure out how much of this is because I'm driving it regularly and taking care of the battery, how much is artificial because of a string of quick charges (not sure why that makes it better), or something else.

Also quick charging works pretty well at this time of year, but I couldn't imagine doing more than 1 QC in spring or especially summer. The battery heats up quick and as far as I can tell takes forever to cool off, even in 20F air while driving gently. I can't imagine the temperatures it could potentially reach in summer.

VitaminJ said:
Not only are my stats better, but it appears my cell balance is also better.
Your first and last screenshots look the same to me - 9 mV range between min/max.

What I find more interesting is the difference in cell-pair voltages when your QCing - you can tell that some cells have higher internal resistance than the others, though the difference isn't too large at 18 mV.

Anyway, your documented increase in battery stats is the same thing that others have reported for years. But don't count on the increase in stats actually reflecting an increase in battery capacity - it's just the computer adjusting data for unknown reasons. It's notoriously difficult to estimate capacity of a pack without doing a full charge/discharge cycle.

I got my 2 year inspection done last week. 5 stars for everything after 2 years and 35,700 miles.

My recent leafspy data shows 100% SOH and 65.5 Ah , so I am pretty confident that the battery is in extremely good condition with absolutely no noticeable loss in range or capacity. When I picked up the car 2 years ago it showed 65.5 Ah.

I Drive the Leaf pretty hard, don't DC charge much , charge to 100% at home @3.5 Kw , get to work with between 35-45%, start charging around 4PM or AM depending whether I'm on days or nights, charge back to 100% at 6.6 Kw. I work 8-8 so the car sits at 35-45% until the charger kicks in at about 4.

When off shift I usually charge to 50-80% or 100% if I really need it.

I've had 0 issues with the Leaf.

Stats been tracking mostly the same the past few weeks. Seems like they've settled into winter weather.

41K miles. 2015 S mfg 4/14

259 GIDS
20.07 kwh
97.25% SOC
83.18% SOH
83.03% HX
55.11 Ahr
64.9 degrees

This is about 11% degradation from new, so I think I'll be fine through the winter. Stats will probably jump up a little when it warms up, likely hover around 265 GIDS or so, then my guess is sometime around next fall/early winter, that first bar goes. At that point I'll be at 50k miles, so I guess that's a good run. Hopefully my Model 3 gets here soon.

drees said:
VitaminJ said:
Not only are my stats better, but it appears my cell balance is also better.
Your first and last screenshots look the same to me - 9 mV range between min/max.

What I find more interesting is the difference in cell-pair voltages when your QCing - you can tell that some cells have higher internal resistance than the others, though the difference isn't too large at 18 mV.

Anyway, your documented increase in battery stats is the same thing that others have reported for years. But don't count on the increase in stats actually reflecting an increase in battery capacity - it's just the computer adjusting data for unknown reasons. It's notoriously difficult to estimate capacity of a pack without doing a full charge/discharge cycle.
That's what I've been doing, I've done a couple drives from 100% to turtle, and my commute every day I leave home with 100% and return at about 15-25%. Should I be doing something different to get a better measure of my battery? I thought this was the best way.

Here is a screen shot from this morning at 100% charge after parking last night at 18%:

65.86Ah, SOH = 100%, Hx = 100.86
Screenshot_2017-01-18-08-03-59_zpslngkcmct.png

281 Gids 21.8kwh
Screenshot_2017-01-18-08-04-20_zpsjk4x6w5p.png

That's pretty damn good! I can't see how it can get much better unless Leaf Spy is just plain lying to me. Either way I'm totally stoked about this car and I want to try and drive it 100 miles on one charge.

New day. New reading. Actually ticking up a bit since last time. 2015 S, mfg 4/14, about 42K miles.

266 GIDS
20.61 kwh
97.19 % SOC
85.40% SOH
86.08% HX
56.59 Ahr

Not too shabby for a pack that will be three years old in a couple months.

Just lost my second bar today. Had one bar lost last night when I plugged it in. Had 2 bars gone this morning when I went to use the car.

Here are the stats at the second bar loss point:

Date: 2/2/2017
Mileage: 37,888
GIDs: 229
kWh: 17.7
SOC: 97.0%
SOH: 78%
HX: 97.93%
Ahr: 48.84

Hey relayer what kind of range and at what mi per kWh are you getting. I'm convinced mine is borked. I've never seen more than 92% soh and hx 90% when NEW and only one month old when I bought it according to the door sticker.

Now at 10688 miles I'm at 51.32 ah (82%) and hx at 70.02% but I still show all 12 bars the little cheaters. My gom shows 85 miles and I'm 4.6 miles a kWh which jives with 18.6kwh storage but still 12 bars. Tried everything fast charges, lv2 ,lv1 letting it sit at 100% to balance for a day or two. Just keeps going down.

Dexion11 said:
Hey relayer what kind of range and at what mi per kWh are you getting. I'm convinced mine is borked. I've never seen more than 92% soh and hx 90% when NEW and only one month old when I bought it according to the door sticker.

Now at 10688 miles I'm at 51.32 ah (82%) and hx at 70.02% but I still show all 12 bars the little cheaters. My gom shows 85 miles and I'm 4.6 miles a kWh which jives with 18.6kwh storage but still 12 bars. Tried everything fast charges, lv2 ,lv1 letting it sit at 100% to balance for a day or two. Just keeps going down.

Yikes! And I thought I was screwed... BTW, I go by Mike.

My average miles/kWh is right about 3.2. So my typical range now is about 56 miles. I can get better but there's no way I could ever see more than 70 miles around here unless I drafted a semi the whole trip. My one way commute (Indio to Brawley) is 75 miles and I can no longer use the car without stopping for at least 90 minutes at an RV park in Salton City (mid way point) to charge. Makes my one way 75 minute commute almost a 3 hour commute. Thanks Nissan!

I've experienced that every time I DCFC the Ah goes up slightly. But then charging at home for a few days it drops below where it was. So the DCFC yeilds only a temporary increase in Ah.

Dexion11 said:

Looking at those numbers, you should lose a bar any second. Judging by the kWh and ah, you should have lost it already. My guess would be that Nissan is taking into account a certain variable at the bar loss and knows that the battery will have seasonal temperature fluctuations. They want to make sure that it won't jump back up a bit in a short period of time. This also nearly confirms that there is some hidden capacity in the back that is being eaten away at.

Relayer1956 said:
My one way commute (Indio to Brawley) is 75 miles and I can no longer use the car without stopping for at least 90 minutes at an RV park in Salton City (mid way point) to charge. Makes my one way 75 minute commute almost a 3 hour commute.
Ouch. With a 75 mile one-way commute and the ability to charge at each end, you really need a 30 kWh EV minimum. I'd really recommend something that will do 125-150 miles (50-100% more range than required). Even better - something that will do 150 miles easily round-trip so you can just charge once a day, you really need 60 kWh for that.

I was wondering why your LEAF was losing capacity so fast, but 150 miles / day in the heat around the Salton Sea heat explains it. It just shows that in climates like that, you really need thermal management. A Bolt would be a great commuter car for that route.

drees said:
Relayer1956 said:
My one way commute (Indio to Brawley) is 75 miles and I can no longer use the car without stopping for at least 90 minutes at an RV park in Salton City (mid way point) to charge. Makes my one way 75 minute commute almost a 3 hour commute.
Ouch. With a 75 mile one-way commute and the ability to charge at each end, you really need a 30 kWh EV minimum. I'd really recommend something that will do 125-150 miles (50-100% more range than required). Even better - something that will do 150 miles easily round-trip so you can just charge once a day, you really need 60 kWh for that.

I was wondering why your LEAF was losing capacity so fast, but 150 miles / day in the heat around the Salton Sea heat explains it. It just shows that in climates like that, you really need thermal management. A Bolt would be a great commuter car for that route.

+1 on that! I am gathering data on heat dissipation on the 30 kwh packs and initial evidence (well as much as can be had for Winter...) shows the pack returning to normal temps after a QC MUCH quicker than the 24 kwh packs.

now, be it bigger packs, less strain, less heat build up? hard to say since I have only had the car since Veteran's Day so need some heat to really evaluate but now with garage temps running from the upper 40's to low 50's, my LEAF is returning to ambient temps after a QC in less than 12 hours.

FYI; bigger pack implies less strain during QC but the 30 kwh pack charges much faster. I received 20.04 kwh from an AV charger in 28 mins! that is HUGE!! Finally a real "80% charge in 30 mins!"

I've noticed the rapid heat loss as well. I had the pack up to about 70 degrees while it was in the 20's at night. Next morning, while parked outside, it was down to about 30 F.

Phatcat73 said:
I've noticed the rapid heat loss as well. I had the pack up to about 70 degrees while it was in the 20's at night. Next morning, while parked outside, it was down to about 30 F.

I went from 86º to 51.2/50.8/49.4 in just over 10 hours while car was parked in garage (temps 48.8)

I always have the one temp a few degrees lower but most mornings, its within .2º of the garage and with NCTC, I have fast charged a lot! :)

Back