2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, didn't really go anywhere over Thanksgiving, just a few local trips, but did plug in on the L2 between trips, more frequently than normal, and the numbers have bounced up even higher.

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

Took a reading after having the Thanksgiving week off and barely driving my Leaf. It was also very cold here this past week. This was my worst reading yet.

257 GIDS
19.92 kwh
97.23% SOC
82.5% SOH
82.09% HX
54.66 Ahr
64.9°

And then today after three days of my commute, still very cold out...

261 GIDS
20.23 kwh
97.11% SOC
83.91% SOH
84.04% HX
55.6 Ahr
61.3°

This was my first time ever dropping below 260 Gids and 20 kWh. Kind of freaked me out. The plus to this is that look at the pre-lizard batteries, these numbers seem to indicate that the first bar drops at 15.5% decline from about 62.5 Ahr or about 53 Ahr, and isn't based on the 66 ahr max number that some people are reporting on their cars. I'm nearly certain that there was extra hidden capacity in the car that was eaten away at in addition to an improved chemistry. I'm just shy of 40k miles right now, my guess is the bar goes by the end of the summer at somewhere around 50k miles.

I've seen my health go from 100% to 93% and back to 100% and AH from 65.8 new to 67.5 back to 65.4.

tkdbrusco , I'd say if you can even charge at a low charge % to 100% over a week I bet you'd be surprised what capacity will show up again. This is how I charge at work.

I charge from 100% to between 35-45% by the time I get to work after about 41.5 miles, charge back to 100% then when I get home I have about 25-35% after another 41.5 miles. I do drive pretty hard and can make the whole trip on one charge in warmer weather if I drive a lot easier. I charge at 6.6 Kw in work and 3.3 at home.

I"m trying to figure out all of the leafspy stuff. Is there a good document that describes all of the values?
So far my questions are
are GIDs based on SOH or SOC?
what is Hx?

I haven't seen 67.3 Ah myself for a long time but guess what I saw today after I had been on my week off shift and not driving much ? yes 67.36 AH.

Why ? this is anyone's guess, perfect battery ? I don't think so , not with the way I have been beating it the way I drive, though really I don't drive bad but I do drive about 60-80 Mph for most of my commute.

I mean it's highly possible the battery is almost perfect but I don't believe it's 100% perfect but either way I am impressed as to how it's holding up after 2 years and 33,500 miles.

The only thing I can think as to why it's showing 67.36 AH again is the recent cold snap because there is no way in warmer weather after a week off shift it would even show 64 Ah and it might show about 93-95% health and last year wasn't nearly as cold due to the Super El Nino and the battery was pretty cold as you can see from the pic even after a full charge.

So , could the BMS be designed to hold back some charge at higher battery temps to avoid even having close to a 100% charge ? Definitely some mysterious goings on with this generation battery for sure !

9ff3a4c7-ca55-469c-adb5-24e9da8f0477.png

tkdbrusco said:
Took a reading after having the Thanksgiving week off and barely driving my Leaf. It was also very cold here this past week. This was my worst reading yet.

257 GIDS
19.92 kwh
97.23% SOC
82.5% SOH
82.09% HX
54.66 Ahr
64.9°

And then today after three days of my commute, still very cold out...

261 GIDS
20.23 kwh
97.11% SOC
83.91% SOH
84.04% HX
55.6 Ahr
61.3°

This was my first time ever dropping below 260 Gids and 20 kWh. Kind of freaked me out. The plus to this is that look at the pre-lizard batteries, these numbers seem to indicate that the first bar drops at 15.5% decline from about 62.5 Ahr or about 53 Ahr, and isn't based on the 66 ahr max number that some people are reporting on their cars. I'm nearly certain that there was extra hidden capacity in the car that was eaten away at in addition to an improved chemistry. I'm just shy of 40k miles right now, my guess is the bar goes by the end of the summer at somewhere around 50k miles.

I live in the same locality. I have 25k miles on my car (Nov'14 delivery) and I saw the exact same thing. It went below 55 AHr early last week, then came back up to 55.44 AHr two days back, and back below 55 today.

o00scorpion00o said:
I haven't seen 67.3 Ah myself for a long time but guess what I saw today after I had been on my week off shift and not driving much ? yes 67.36 AH.

Why ? this is anyone's guess, perfect battery ? I don't think so , not with the way I have been beating it the way I drive, though really I don't drive bad but I do drive about 60-80 Mph for most of my commute.

I mean it's highly possible the battery is almost perfect but I don't believe it's 100% perfect but either way I am impressed as to how it's holding up after 2 years and 33,500 miles.

The only thing I can think as to why it's showing 67.36 AH again is the recent cold snap because there is no way in warmer weather after a week off shift it would even show 64 Ah and it might show about 93-95% health and last year wasn't nearly as cold due to the Super El Nino and the battery was pretty cold as you can see from the pic even after a full charge.

So , could the BMS be designed to hold back some charge at higher battery temps to avoid even having close to a 100% charge ? Definitely some mysterious goings on with this generation battery for sure !

9ff3a4c7-ca55-469c-adb5-24e9da8f0477.png

You must have a 30kwh pack in there that is restricted to 24 kWh and is a field tester for Nissan.

I am very concerned about my battery and the potential for getting a battery replacement under warranty.

I still have only lost one bar. With Nissan's stated 15% loss of capacity for the 1st bar and 6.25% loss for each subsequent bar I have projected my AHr at 8 bars to be the following. I have calculated it based upon the 15%, 6.25%, 6.25%, 6.25% loss of capapcity (Ahr) and using two case assumptions.

Assume I just lost the 1st bar:

(67.36-49.10)=18.26 Ahr therefore (using 15%) my loss is 1.217 AHr/%. Given this, at 33.75% battery capacity loss I will have lost 41.07 AHr. So I will have (67-36-41.07)=26.29 AHr left. Or 39% of original capacity. Damn! Ok, I realize this is the worste case scenario...

So let's go with the best case scenario calculation assuming I am extremely close to losing the 2nd bar. (Hopefully , that's a good assumption!)

Using the same current AHr loss (18.26 Ahr) and using 21.25% this time my best case loss is 0.859 AHr/%. Given this, at 33.75% battery capacity loss I will have lost 28.99 AHr. So I will have (67-36-28.99)=38.37 AHr left.

So in the best case scenario I won't hit 4 bars of loss until I am well under 39 Ahr. Or to put it in percentage terms 57% battery capacity.

All I can say is this really sucks !!!

I will closely monitor when I finally lose the 2nd bar and report it here along with my statistics at that time.

Date: 12/5/2016
Mileage: 35,525
GIDs: 229
kWh: 17.7
SOC: 102.3%
SOH: 79%
HX: 62.34%
Ahr: 49.10
Avg Battery Temp: N/A

BTW, the above is not my minimum AHr reading. I have seen AHr readings as low as 48.01 AHr as recently as 11/30/16. A couple DCFCs have increased my AHr reading since then.

Relayer1956 said:
I will closely monitor when I finally lose the 2nd bar and report it here along with my statistics at that time.

BTW, the above is not my minimum AHr reading. I have seen AHr readings as low as 48.01 AHr as recently as 11/30/16. A couple DCFCs have increased my AHr reading since then.

How far can you go on a full charge now? You are in one of the hotter sunnier climates, almost like Arizona.
It is a test of how heat-tolerant the new chemistry really is. There is already a bar loss reported in AZ on the wiki for a 2015 LEAF.
For reference:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_four_battery_capacity_bars_.2833.75.25.29

My own 15 is between 56 and 57 Ahr now.

Relayer1956 said:

That's a real pain in the ass, I presume it's a pretty hot place there ?

My leaf has about the same mileage, and 67.3 Ah according to leaf spy last week but it was showing 65 ah for a while but now back to 67ah.

I've noticed battery capacity can vary by about + - 7%.

Relayer1956 said:
I am very concerned about my battery and the potential for getting a battery replacement under warranty.

I still have only lost one bar. With Nissan's stated 15% loss of capacity for the 1st bar and 6.25% loss for each subsequent bar I have projected my AHr at 8 bars to be the following. I have calculated it based upon the 15%, 6.25%, 6.25%, 6.25% loss of capapcity (Ahr) and using two case assumptions.

Assume I just lost the 1st bar:

(67.36-49.10)=18.26 Ahr therefore (using 15%) my loss is 1.217 AHr/%. Given this, at 33.75% battery capacity loss I will have lost 41.07 AHr. So I will have (67-36-41.07)=26.29 AHr left. Or 39% of original capacity. Damn! Ok, I realize this is the worste case scenario...

So let's go with the best case scenario calculation assuming I am extremely close to losing the 2nd bar. (Hopefully , that's a good assumption!)

Using the same current AHr loss (18.26 Ahr) and using 21.25% this time my best case loss is 0.859 AHr/%. Given this, at 33.75% battery capacity loss I will have lost 28.99 AHr. So I will have (67-36-28.99)=38.37 AHr left.

So in the best case scenario I won't hit 4 bars of loss until I am well under 39 Ahr. Or to put it in percentage terms 57% battery capacity.

All I can say is this really sucks !!!

This seems way out of line for a 2015! I don't know of any other 2015s that have lost bars yet besides you. Do you know what Ahr it was at when you lost it? I'd really start tracking stats if I were you because you may need them for a warranty replacement. Also you may be hurting your changes at a replacement with the amount of miles you're driving, since you'll hit the 60K much earlier than the end of the time limit. If you have an early production car, you may want to try and confirm that your pack is actually a lizard. There's a chance that they put a 2014 MY pack in your car, and since they stated that all 2015 cars were Lizards, you could make a case for the fact that you were misled.

o00scorpion00o said:
No, the BMS doesn't hold things back - you can just confirm this by looking at cell voltages. The BMS's reported AHr and SOH is known to vary on a whim depending on operating conditions. The pack isn't actually changing capacity. It's very difficult to estimate pack capacity without doing a controlled discharge and recharge under steady load conditions - the BMS just guesses the best it can about how much energy the pack can hold based on various factors.

Here's what's weird about your screenshot:

1. Cell voltages look fully charged at 4.11+V / ea.
2. Pack voltage and SOC is low at 374V and 86.5%

drees said:
o00scorpion00o said:
No, the BMS doesn't hold things back - you can just confirm this by looking at cell voltages. The BMS's reported AHr and SOH is known to vary on a whim depending on operating conditions. The pack isn't actually changing capacity. It's very difficult to estimate pack capacity without doing a controlled discharge and recharge under steady load conditions - the BMS just guesses the best it can about how much energy the pack can hold based on various factors.

Here's what's weird about your screenshot:

1. Cell voltages look fully charged at 4.11+V / ea.
2. Pack voltage and SOC is low at 374V and 86.5%

I never noticed this , voltage should be around 394 then at 4.11 V per cell ?

That is strange, what would cause this ?

I really don't believe my battery is 100% as good as it was when I got it.

Back