Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
lpickup said:
Does the car provide a WiFi hotspot?
Not presently, but I'll be surprised if the subscription service does not give general web connectivity. It is anyone's guess though whether the carrier for the car has a better connection than a phone. It seems simpler and more flexible to just pick up a SIM and a PAYGO plan for whatever carrier works in your problem area. My daughter is on our Cricket (quasi ATT) family plan for the US and will be buying Project Fi for a month while she is in Montreal to avoid roaming charges.

By the way, the Model 3 will continue to have free LTE for navigation for orders after July 1. Streaming services like music will be a subscription. Left unsaid so far as I know is the fate of traffic data.

My understanding is that traffic data for the purpose of navigation routing is included for free, but it won’t be visualized unless you buy the premium internet subscription. Functionality for nav and rerouting is the same for both.

I was thinking about the car's internet connectivity while driving errands this morning and thought that it would be a nice perk from Tesla to enable free calling to the mother ship. This may only matter to people like me who have the annoying habit of letting their cell phones die, but in cases where the car still has a connection and the phones do not, it could be fantastic. Sort of like Onstar --- typically not used, but oh so great when really needed. It could also enable seamless car diagnostics and perhaps real-time fixes for some car problems.

This diagnostic aspect already exists in an informal way. The day I picked up my car the GPS thought it was in CA instead of Colorado. I called Tesla after a few hours when it did not self-correct and the tech was able to confirm that the car placement on the map was in the Pacific ocean (I had been driving SW-erly.) The GPS started operating correctly soon afterwards, but I do not know if Tesla sent an OTA fix or if the car just happened to self-correct at that time.

dgpcolorado said:
Tesla seems to have opened up AWD to all first day USA reservation holders — this is new — as well as lowering prices for AWD and Performance and raising it slightly for some options. <snip>
I wonder how much of the price drop for AWD and Performance was due to the impending debut of the I-Pace? I suspect more than a little, given the ecstatic reviews and pricing of that car, even though you wouldn't normally think the Model 3 and I-Pace would be cross-shopped.

None. It was realated to s costs. Besides that amount has not impact on buying decisions. They are in very separate buying categories.

EVDRIVER said:
None. It was realated to s costs. Besides that amount has not impact on buying decisions. They are in very separate buying categories.

Is the "s" above a typo, or do you literally mean costs of the Model S?

I do agree that the i-Pace and the 3 are in entirely separate categories, but your comment (whether intentional or not) got me wondering whether the i-Pace is creating some downward price pressure on the Model S (actually the Model X) which in turn is creating downward price pressure on the high end 3 (in order to maintain separation between the 3 and S (& X)).

Probably not likely, and I suspect it is related to 3 costs (as I think you meant without the 's') which is either a really good indicator regarding potential profit margins on the 3's that they didn't reduce the price of, or they are eating into some potential profit margin on the highly optioned configs.

The 3 AWD was supposed to cost less than the S which is why they likely lowered the cost. Other prices were lowered on the P car but some things were separated that were included. I doubt any price reduction on the P version was a result of competitive pricing.

GRA said:
I wonder how much of the price drop for AWD and Performance was due to the impending debut of the I-Pace? I suspect more than a little, given the ecstatic reviews and pricing of that car, even though you wouldn't normally think the Model 3 and I-Pace would be cross-shopped.
The I-Pace isn't really competition for Tesla yet and has a long way to go before it is.

So far as the price adjusting on the Model 3 goes, Tesla questioned some early reservation holders invited to order Performance/AWD about why they did or didn't order certain options. The price and option adjustments came soon afterward. Could be a coincidence, but I think the take rate on P — and, perhaps, AWD — was lower than expected, so they lowered the price and made a new option package out of some of the features. They also are adjusting the prices of orders already placed, but not delivered yet, to reflect the generally lower pricing, which is standard Tesla practice.

With the pricing re-calibrated, Tesla then threw open the doors to all USA/Canada reservation holders since production is increasing rapidly and they'd like to entice orders for the more loaded cars. Some early reservation holders are grumbling (to put it politely) about that but they have had the chance to order First Production for some time. Although the delivery window is wide — 2 - 4 months for P and 3 - 5 months for AWD/RWD — a whole lot of orders placed in the last couple of days are going to be delivered in the next couple of months on the early end of that range. They did "ping" us yesterday with an email saying that AWD and P ordering was now open so, unless one is hiding under a rock, there is plenty of chance to get orders in and still get the federal tax credit, for those USA reservation holders who qualify. Imaging the kvetching if Tesla dribbled out invitations over the next few months with the tax credit phase-out approaching! (As you know, there are already a lot of complaints over the delay of the SR version since it will only get the half tax credit.) Meanwhile I expect that the overseas reservation holders, who have to wait until next year — or longer for RHD — to place orders, are not sympathetic to the complaints of USA reservation holders!

dgpcolorado said:
...With the pricing re-calibrated, Tesla then threw open the doors to all USA/Canada reservation holders since production is increasing rapidly and they'd like to entice orders for the more loaded cars...
A more likely (and more complete) explanation, particularly in regard to the timing:

Why Did Tesla Just Cut Model 3 Prices?

Does the electric-car maker have a demand problem after all?

In a surprise move, Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) has cut the prices of some higher-level options on its compact Model 3 sedan -- and it will soon open ordering to everyone in the U.S. and Canada who has placed a reservation.

What's this about?...

It seems likely that Tesla was disappointed by the early level of demand for those higher-priced (and higher-profit) trim levels, which were first announced last month.

Add this all together, and I suspect the real story here is that Tesla hasn't been happy with either the conversion rates overall, the "take rates" of the Dual Motor and Performance versions, or both.

In other words, Tesla might well have a demand problem.

There's also some evidence that Tesla has been losing buyers from that long line of reservation holders....

None of that is bullish for a cash-strapped automaker with big debt payments looming...

Reserving a Model 3 requires a $1,000 deposit, which Tesla holds and reports as cash. Ordering a Model 3 requires a second deposit of $2,500. If it can get a rush of orders before the books close at quarter-end, it can show a higher total level of deposits in its second-quarter earnings report.

That might help mitigate the impact of what's likely to be a grim-looking report
, given Tesla's still-ongoing manufacturing woes...
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/28/why-did-tesla-just-cut-model-3-prices.aspx

I ordered an AWD 3. Glad they shaved the price a bit on AWD, it was expected as promised before. I figured they would adjust the pricing overall.

dgpcolorado said:
VIN 49,743 has been spotted on a transport truck. It has an "A" in position 8, so single motor (RWD).
And to think that my VIN of ~ 35k was cause for celebration a few weeks ago.
Personally though, I find the news that GF is now producing 6k Model 3 packs a week much more satisfying. That is an annual of 25 GWh and only represents part of the factory output. No wonder Tesla is already plotting GF 2 and 3; after all, GF1 is "only" planned for 150 GWh all product production when running at full.

What amazing numbers
Anybody care to wager against one TWh within 10 years ?

SageBrush said:
dgpcolorado said:
VIN 49,743 has been spotted on a transport truck. It has an "A" in position 8, so single motor (RWD).
And to think that my VIN of ~ 35k was cause for celebration a few weeks ago.
Personally though, I find the news that GF is now producing 6k Model 3 packs a week much more satisfying. That is an annual of 25 GWh and only represents part of the factory output. No wonder Tesla is already plotting GF 2 and 3; after all, GF1 is "only" planned for 150 GWh all product production when running at full.

What amazing numbers
It does appear that Tesla was delaying deliveries for tax credit purposes and that the floodgates will open next month. We will know for sure next week.

I can't recall if 119 kW supercharging speed has been shown before on a TM3 screen.
I think I hit 117 kWin my X 100D. I don't recall what the S/X 75Ds hit.

jtpassat https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2785811/

dMCVi47.jpg

Here is a good example of how Tesla made the model three easier to repair.
My wife’s Model 3 needed one of the taillights replaced. Tesla had ordered the part.
Today, they got it in and asked if I wanted to bring it in.
Without an appointment, I brought the car in. 15 minutes later I had her car back.

For the same repair on a Model X, they slot out a 3 hour block for the replacement.

Tesla did a great job simplifying both the build, and repairs. This is a big part of what Tesla wanted to do, and what will help with both production and demand on the service centers.

scottf200 said:
I can't recall if 119 kW supercharging speed has been shown before on a TM3 screen.
I think I hit 117 kWin my X 100D. I don't recall what the S/X 75Ds hit.

jtpassat https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2785811/

I have never had more than 117 ever on an S.

Got a push alert about this not long ago from the CNBC app.

Tesla meets self-imposed deadline for Model 3, rolls out 5000 cars in a week, sources tell Reuters
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/tesla-q2-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

Zythryn said:
Here is a good example of how Tesla made the model three easier to repair.
My wife’s Model 3 needed one of the taillights replaced. Tesla had ordered the part.
Today, they got it in and asked if I wanted to bring it in.
Without an appointment, I brought the car in. 15 minutes later I had her car back.

For the same repair on a Model X, they slot out a 3 hour block for the replacement.

Tesla did a great job simplifying both the build, and repairs. This is a big part of what Tesla wanted to do, and what will help with both production and demand on the service centers.
FWIW, my co-worker with a 3 has an intermittently working backup camera. Mobile service came out. He seemed fine with that. Later, it looked like he had a service appointment. Then he had another? This time, they had to open a ticket w/engineering. Now his 3 been in the shop for over 2 weeks.

He mentioned at the SC, every single vehicle there (for service/repairs) was an X. Haha. I wasn't surprised by that. I don't think he was either.

His 3 now been in the shop longer than he's had it. We work in software and he and had joked about him beta testing not long after he plunked down his $2500 to order.

Speaking of the additional $2500 to order, I understand why they do it but it seems a bit much to have a $2500 deposit that in non-refundable. Clearly they don't want thousands of orders that are never picked up but on the other hand they decided to have pre orders. IMO it's insane they seem to think they can keep that for cancellation logistical costs, complete nonsense. Not sure what the law states in CA about that. I can't see them not selling every cancelled car this year in about 20 seconds with a keystroke of effort:)

cwerdna said:
FWIW, my co-worker with a 3 has an intermittently working backup camera. Mobile service came out. He seemed fine with that. Later, it looked like he had a service appointment. Then he had another? This time, they had to open a ticket w/engineering. Now his 3 been in the shop for over 2 weeks.

He mentioned at the SC, every single vehicle there (for service/repairs) was an X. Haha. I wasn't surprised by that. I don't think he was either.

His 3 now been in the shop longer than he's had it. We work in software and he and had joked about him beta testing not long after he plunked down his $2500 to order.

FWIW, I've had my 3 since 4/27. It hasn't been in the shop once. I have had absolutely no problems with it. In fact, I just returned from a 4,100 mile road trip to Wisconsin and back. Cruised the freeways at 78 with the AC blasting and had no problems.

The max kW I noticed at the superchargers was 116. Usually it started out at 115, unless I was starting with a higher SOC.

I'm in love with my car. :mrgreen:

Kelly

EVDRIVER said:
scottf200 said:
I think I hit 117 kWin my X 100D. I don't recall what the S/X 75Ds hit. jtpassat https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2785811/
I have never had more than 117 ever on an S.
Maybe they are allowing slightly more or the ramp down curve to be different because of the battery changes.
https://electrek.co/2018/05/03/tesla-model-3-battery-cells-rare-data-energy-density-cobalt/
https://insideevs.com/tesla-claims-model-3-battery-has-highest-energy-density-of-any-electric-car/

Anywhere between 115-119kW is normal on #2292 (12 Dec 2017 build date).

The output DC current from the Supercharger is limited to 365 amps, but it will bounce around between 366-369 sometimes. It’s doubtful that the Model 3 is pulling much more than 330 amps to keep within the sub-120kW limit for the Supercharger.

360V * 330A = 119kW maximum rate

96s / 403v max - Model 3 Long Range 80.5kWh max capacity 96s * 46P, 4426 quantity of 2170s @ approximately 4900mah per cell, 4 modules

Back