0.4 average energy economy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT02

I'm looking at various used Leafs online and one stands out with this abysmal figure on the dash. How is that even possible? Mine gets 4.0 and I don't baby it or focus on driving efficiently.

AndyGT02 said:
How is that even possible?

Reset, then drive a few hundred meters slowly until the first number appears, then stop with climate control on. Wait for the value to fall to 0.4, or even less. I'm going to try this this afternoon, if I remember to, and report back.

Rally driving might get that low, lots of fast starts and stops.

Max speed wouldn't do it, 80kW @ 93 miles/hour = 0.86 kWh/mile = 1.1625 miles/kWh. And it doesn't take full power to drive max speed on a flat road... Don't ask me how I know. ;)

I've gotten to 99 miles per kWh by resetting at the top of a hill, and coasting and regenerating with no climate control. Getting to 0.1 sounds like a similar challenge.

WetEV said:
Reset, then drive a few hundred meters slowly until the first number appears, then stop with climate control on. Wait for the value to fall to 0.4, or even less.

I tried this. Got bored. Even with 90F outside temperature, climate control doesn't use much power, so would take a long time to get down to 0.4 miles/kWh.

Graffi said:
The answer is simple, drive up a steep hill.

It would need to be a very very steep hill. There is one that is about as steep as any paved road hill I've ever seen, and it only takes about 40kW to climb at 30MPH. That would be 0.75 miles/kWh. Twice as steep? Or towing a trailer up that hill with a similar mass as the Leaf?

WetEV said:
WetEV said:
Reset, then drive a few hundred meters slowly until the first number appears, then stop with climate control on. Wait for the value to fall to 0.4, or even less.

I tried this. Got bored. Even with 90F outside temperature, climate control doesn't use much power, so would take a long time to get down to 0.4 miles/kWh.

Try it again at 0F. The heater takes a lot of energy. Plus you don't have to sit in the car while you do it. Leave it on in the driveway with the heater set to 90F when it is 0F outside, Shouldn't take that long.

Easy. Turn on the A/C or heat, while parked or even while plugged in for a couple of hours. Drive around the block. Take dash photo.

If this was a dealership car, the guy cleaning the car probably just blasted the A/C while cleaning the interior. Then he drove it back to the parking space, and they took the photos.

Back