10,000+miles Omaha 2013 leaf battery holding strong!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IraqiInvaderGnr

10,001 miles AHr 67.36 Gids 284 (down from 295 as late as July 20th) Health 106.29. For the past month I've been charging to 100% EVERY day. In the summer the car was parked outside with battery rarely cooling down below 80 degrees. Max it has reached has been 100. Lowest Ahr (67.21) thus far was at 8,703 miles health 103.38 occurred 9-12-13. Every day since then it has read Ahr 67.36. I have started parking in the garage at night now as it's been getting into the 40's. I've not heard or read about anyone's battery holding up so well. I'm I the exception or is more that people who have heavy degradation are more vocal?

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
10,001 miles AHr 67.36 Gids 284 (down from 295 as late as July 20th) Health 106.29. For the past month I've been charging to 100% EVERY day. In the summer the car was parked outside with battery rarely cooling down below 80 degrees. Max it has reached has been 100. Lowest Ahr (67.21) thus far was at 8,703 miles health 103.38 occurred 9-12-13. Every day since then it has read Ahr 67.36. I have started parking in the garage at night now as it's been getting into the 40's. I've not heard or read about anyone's battery holding up so well. I'm I the exception or is more that people who have heavy degradation are more vocal?
Glad to hear that you are happy with your car and the battery.

When the car has 40,000 miles on it your outlook might not be so chipper. I hope I am wrong on this, but I don't think so.

KJD said:
IraqiInvaderGnr said:
Glad to hear that you are happy with your car and the battery.

When the car has 40,000 miles on it your outlook might not be so chipper. I hope I am wrong on this, but I don't think so.

At 70% capacity I'd still be able to make it to work and back. As long as I can do that with this car I'll be happy. I also think that by the time the. Battery needs to be replaced that there will be packs available that can go farther and are more heat tolerant for around $5,000. If that turns out to be true then I will replace the battery....if not then Tesla will have a new customer but either way from the way this battery has been lasting I'm projecting at minimum that I'll be driving past 100,000 miles and at this pace I'm projected to reach that in 2018.

Seeing the same results down here (KC) at 18k miles but I expect to loose a capacity bar any week now after 2 summers even though this summer was a lot cooler than last summer. Still the degradation is normal for the volume of miles and temperature. The thing we need to remember is that even though midwest summers suck at least we have spring, fall, and winter where the battery is chill. In high heat environments like Phoenix, they never get a cool day for the pack to chill.

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
10,001 miles AHr 67.36 Gids 284 (down from 295 as late as July 20th) Health 106.29.
Wow - you really had 295 GIDs in July? I don't think we've ever had that kind of GID count reported before. It sure seems like you've managed to get a very, very healthy pack.

BTW - why are you charging to 100% daily if you don't need to?

ERG4ALL said:
Over 27,000 miles and still 12 bars.
How have you managed to do that in Arizona?

drees said:
IraqiInvaderGnr said:
10,001 miles AHr 67.36 Gids 284 (down from 295 as late as July 20th) Health 106.29.
Wow - you really had 295 GIDs in July? I don't think we've ever had that kind of GID count reported before. It sure seems like you've managed to get a very, very healthy pack.

BTW - why are you charging to 100% daily if you don't need to?

ERG4ALL said:

Cooler weather and since this will be my first winter with the leaf I'm not sure what to expect for ending charge in very cold weather (50 hilly mile roundtrip commute mostly highway 3.7miles/kwh). No public chargers (except dealership) up here so don't want to be caught without enough juice. Thinking about going back to 80% though since I have so much juice left. I got a screenshots of the battery app from the past that I'll try to post when I'm home....if I can figure how to post pictures on here.

drees said:
IraqiInvaderGnr said:
Likely using an older version of Jim's app with simulated GIDs. While it's good to hear such reports, I don't think it's fair to assume that others that don't fare as well are simply more vocal.

drees said:
ERG4ALL said:
I believe that ERG4ALL trucks the LEAF to a cooler locale for the summer. We talked about it earlier in another thread.

surfingslovak said:
While it's good to hear such reports, I don't think it's fair to assume that others that don't fare as well are simply more vocal.
Yes, I have 6500 miles and 284 GIDs on my 2013 SV. There's no reason to mention it, apart from this thread. :) Maybe people with no problems should be more vocal.

Im v glad to hear it. My 2011 was very healthy when I bought it used in January 2013 with 4000 miles. It has 12k now and it's at 85% now. We well see how it behaves on the winter...

If I drop as I did this summer in Houston I might be able to get a free battery replacement under warranty.

I hope yours keeps doing great.

I still do not fully grasp why a cooling option was not retrofitted, since the car already has ac and it is very efficient, barely using any power to cool the car. In Houston a well insulated pack with some vent redirection could be cooled easily and cheaply with the parts already on the car. Besides a well insulated pack would have barely used any power to remain cool...think of an ice chest....

Any way, sorry for the rambling, and best of luck.

Back