10% capacity loss within month !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV1

My Leaf was purchased in March this year(2013) and was most probably build in 2012. In early july I checked my battery capacity for the first time with Turbo3's Battery App.
The capacity was 101%, with the 100% set at 67AH.
This reading was almost the same, every time I checked, it varied between 99% and 101,40%, so after a few weeks I stopped checking every 2/3 days, assured, that my battery was OK.

At the end of August this year, the dealer did the P3227 update. This went smooth and did not affect any of the readings which I had from the Battery App.

In the middle of September this year, when driving a bit more "firmly", more powerfull, there was some strange behaviour from the regenerative braking. The regenerative braking, just fell off, and the normal brakes took over, lots of times, in situations where it never happend before, in similar conditions, like simply linear slowing down, with 10-20KW regen.
Don't get me wrong, I know the regen falls off in lots of situations, but this was different.
The next day, I noticed the temperature gauge still was at 5 bars, which usually never is the case after 1 night letting the car alone at the usual night temperature at the time of year. (10-15 degrees Celcius(50-60F))
Didn't use the car for 2 days and the temperature gauge was still at 5 bars.
The temperature bar has definatly changed.
Other strange fact about the regen since that day is that often the 4th regen "bubble" only becomes active when the 5th capacity bar is gone. This was usually after about 2 bars.

Last week I used the Battery App to check capacity again and with horror noticed a 91% capacity reading!
Since I didn't check every day, I can't say if the capacity dropped in 1 day or in about 3 weeks, just noticed that it dropped 10% within the month. And yes, in that month the P3227 update was done. There was no different capacity reading directly after the update.
There were no extreem temperatures that month, the car was not quick charged that month.

The capacity loss is real and also noticable as I cannot drive the same "distance per bar" as usual.

Latest Leafspy Pro gives the same results. I check it every day now, and it stays at 91.xx% (last digits change a bit, sometimes up, sometimes down, like always btw)

I 'm going to ask my dealer about this capacity loss, but have already a feeling how they are going to react, like "that 101% was a wrong reading and the P3227 update corrected that".
In that case, it could be stated that I had 10% capacity loss in the first 6 months and within 7000KM(4350mi). Is this acceptable? What would be the best way to approach my dealer?
If I wait and it drops another 10% somewhere in the next 6 months, then I surely don't have to argue/debate if its warranty or not.
Could it be caused by this 1 bad cellpair, wich I noticed earlier?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=308374#p308374

My expectations about battery loss are 1-3% a year as my year-distance will be 12000-1500KM(7000-9000mi) and we have a relative cool climate. (the Netherlands)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice.

71taqeje8top.png

How many miles are on your LEAF.

I fell from 96.68%, 64.06AH in on May 1st, 2013, 4583 miles.

To 89% now with 9400 miles. 7.6% in only 5 months!

I have experienced the same, though my LEAF is 2.5 years old...I think its the software update, because a large drop took place after that for me.

Bear in mind that just because some program spits out some numbers, this is NOT reality. A pessimistic view would be that the current readings are more accurate than the previous ones, so maybe reflecting reality a bit better than before.
To confound things further, the cooler temperatures will lead to additional changes in the capacity estimate (which seems to some degree to be temperature dependent).

klapauzius said:
To confound things further, the cooler temperatures will lead to additional changes in the capacity estimate (which seems to some degree to be temperature dependent).
Yes. It will be interesting to contrast what you will see unfold in the winter with what happened over the summer months. There is not enough field experience with the "Ah" value from the CAN bus. GIDs have been monitored and observed a bit longer.

Mine was updated in late july. Actually I asked only update for braking behavior but they updated whole software :evil: (I don't know to what version... how to check?)

Changes:

It was 10-12km per bar before, now it is 8-10km and sometimes even worth. Never saw more that 10km anymore :(

But it seems that "bars capacity" is changed because before bar went at BAR:30 in estimated charging timer (e.g. 3rd bar at 3:30, 4th at 4:30) and now it is BAR:00 (3rd at 3:00, 4th at 4:00 an so on...). So based on this visible bars are smaller now and "invisible" probably have more capacity.

Sometimes (I guess ones per full-cycle (100% SOC)) couple of bars goes much faster like 2 bars per 10 km!!! It always happens in different stage of SOC.
E.g. if I drive full cycle it can be that first half went OK with normal consumption, but on way back (same way that I drove tens of times in every condition!) charge drops much faster! Another weekend and it mirror case - fast dropping at beginning and more normal in the end.
Then Small 12-13kms trips from 80% SOC usually takes 1 bar, but it were rare cases (AFTER UPDATE ONLY) when same trip took 3 BARS!!! Then next day again normal (always charged back to 80% after trip). Also was couple of 2 bars loosing per 10 kms and even 1 bar per 2km!!! (Yes I drove ONLY 2km from full 80%SOC and lost a bar! :roll: )
Feels like there some broken cell and when it is time to use it (at some phase of cycle) it drops bars rapidly :(

Yesterday I had my one-year check and told dealer about it but he didn't find anything And gave me a printed battery report with 5 stars everywhere saying my battery is perfect. I checked by carwings SOC when car was at dealer and they never emptied the battery that I thought should happen when they REALLY TEST the battery... so is it so that they just read some logs, find nothing, charged more than 200 euros and said it is OK without REAL TESTING?

One more thing: When it was at dealer in July (when the update was made) they charged the car to 100% SOC and kept it for one week at this SOC!!! We don't have high temperatures here, but still it was July with 20-25C day temperature... so can be dealer guilty for this and what to do in that case?

Den said:
But it seems that "bars capacity" is changed because before bar went at BAR:30 in estimated charging timer (e.g. 3rd bar at 3:30, 4th at 4:30) and now it is BAR:00 (3rd at 3:00, 4th at 4:00 an so on...). So based on this visible bars are smaller now and "invisible" probably have more capacity.
The charging timer is not a good reference in my experience. It can shift and introduce an offset, which will only go away after charging the car to full. Could you perhaps get an Android device with LeafSpy? It would remove some of the guesswork. Sorry to hear about the inconsistent and unwelcome behavior. If the experience from early 2011 owners in Norway is any guide, the LEAF battery should be doing great in Finland.

Then about changes in regen...

After update I mentioned that more firmly I brake it use LESS regen.

Soft braking -> High regen...
Hard braking -> Very Little or NO regen!

When it should be (and it was before update) in opposite way! More harder you brake more regen you should get. But now it is more softer you brake, more regen you get :twisted:
Is it possible to downgrade this fu**ing software?

It is possible that this lower capacity reading is because of the lower temperatures your car is experiencing now. The pre P3227 behaviour was an increase in reported capacity in lower temperatures, but we know this is not possible. It is possible that P3227 corrected this behaviour and now the reported capacity correctly drops with decreasing temperatures. This is my graph of capacity readings at 80% charges. Notice that last year in October the reported capacity was allready increasing in October but this year not:

chart_1.png

The discontinuity in July is when P3227 was done.

Yes, this makes sense...Also, based on Stoaty's spreadsheet, the reported capacity for my car matches the predicted within 3 percentage points, so it is reasonable to assume that before the update the numbers were less accurate than now.

klapauzius said:
I have experienced the same, though my LEAF is 2.5 years old...I think its the software update, because a large drop took place after that for me.

Bear in mind that just because some program spits out some numbers, this is NOT reality. A pessimistic view would be that the current readings are more accurate than the previous ones, so maybe reflecting reality a bit better than before.

hmm, as said, in that case there would be 9/10% capacity loss in about half a year, OR it was delivered with this 91% capacity, in both cases, I 'm on the break of calling that swindle.
The loss is definatly reality enough for me, today I drove 21KM(13mi), using 4 SOC bars.

10% loss in 2,5 year is not great, but more or less in the direction of acceptable, imho

Very recognizable story Den.
Today my Leaf "used" 4 bars for a distance of a bit more then 20KM.
The regen is definatly not as "agressive" as it used to be, but I can't confirm the regen behaviour as you describe it. I will keep an eye on it, next days.

Maybe the best thing to hope for, although I actually don't want to think that way, will be that the capacity drops another 10% in the next month and so on, in which case the pack will definatly need to be replaced under warranty at the end of the year.

Is it too much to ask for; max. 20% reduction in 5 years, after all care and devotion to "be nice" to the pack in this cool climate at the coast in an almost flat country?
All weekdays charginglevel is 80%, max. about 2 times a month I "floor the pedal" for a few secs., battery has never been over 34 degrees C(93 degrees F), 12 Quick charges in 6 months, almost no highway driving.

In certain traffic situations it is possible to lose 4 bars over 20 km...but it seems high.

A better test would be to get on the freeway, set the cruise control to 100km/h and drive for a set distance (or number of bars) at constant speed while counting the bars/km.

At least this way you would find out if there is a problem with regen or the battery.

I have observe that when breaking and hitting a bump, the regen will reduce/turn off because there appears to be some ABS like system detecting the wheel rotation not matching what is expected. This might happen with more aggressive driving on slight wet/dusty surfaces.

I drive the exact same route out and back 5 times a week and I think I have a pretty good idea of how much power and regen and kw should be used a specific points in the trip. After 5500 miles I have recently noticed what I felt was less aggressive regen, but it is really hard to draw any conclusions from our observations that are not backed up by hard data. It has recently gotten cold enough that I have started using the climate controls. Maybe the car is feeling cold too, and it is not reflected just in the battery temp gauge.

Back