12V Battery Drain Issue Problem and Temporary Fix as Instructed by Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds interesting! It's the first time I hear of OVMS. But it seems it connects to the ODB2-socket. Doesn't that require the system to be woken up every time it measures, basically causing the same problem? Or are you saying a piece of hardware is replaced?
Basically, a piece of hardware is replaced (and it's cheaper than buying an upgraded TCU from Nissan--if you even could).
There's a whole thread about it on this forum to get you started (https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/replacing-nissanconnectev-with-ovms-in-a-gen1-leaf.32715/).

How exactly do you disable Nissan Connect anyway?
I have a 2020 Tekna Leaf (In the UK) and don’t see an option to turn it on or off from within the settings of the car?

If it draws 0.38A every 15 minutes, then it is pulling 1.52A in an hour, so 50 A-h/ 1.52A = 32 hrs till drained?
The measurement of Ampere is an instantaneous measurement. You could compare it to water flow, which would have the unit liter/second. If we have established that the average water flow for the first 15 min is e.g. 3 l/s, and all following 15 min cycles are the same, any multiple of 15 min will still be 3 l/s on average. In other words, the average water flow for one hour will also be 3 l/s.

If we try your sentence with water flow, it's more clear that it doesn't make sense: "If it draws 3 l/s every 15 min".

If fact, Ampere is also a "per second" measurement, but amount of charge instead of liter.

Not sure the water analogy helps, but I didn't come up with anything better...

I have a 2020 Tekna Leaf (In the UK) and don’t see an option to turn it on or off from within the settings of the car?
Good question. I just assumed since I was able to enable it, it should also be possible to disable...

Maybe someone else knows more? Can we do something through leafspy?

So, I recently returned from an 8-day vacation where the car was parked at home in the garage the whole time, and not plugged in. On day 9, I got in the car, and it started right up. The 12V battery was replaced (by me) about 2 years ago. Based on the posts above, it should have died after 5.5 days.

Is it possible that the computer "wakes up" the DC-DC converter once in a while to recharge the 12V battery?

On day 9, I got in the car, and it started right up.
So does your car have the 3.5A spike happening every 15 minutes? probably not, or your battery would have been drained.

Is it possible that the computer "wakes up" the DC-DC converter once in a while to recharge the 12V battery?
Yes this does happen, you can see a blue light on the dash when this occurs.

@benjwhite9 Do you have the Nissan Connect app on your phone? And did you use the app to check in on your car while you were away for 8 days?

I am just wondering if it the app that is either refreshing in the background on peoples phones that causes battery drain (for those people that know a drain happens that is) or if is the Nissan Connect in the car itself that is waking up and refreshing?

More maths nerdness, where 1 Amp = 1 Coulomb/sec

12V drain markup.png

Here the drain curve has been inverted and marked to show hashed areas under the curve. When these areas are calculated and added together they represent the amount of electrical charge in Coulombs that has been drained from the 12V battery during the 15 minute period, approx. 395 Coul.
In one hour x4 =~ 1600 Coul; one day ~ 38400 Coul.

The battery of this test started at less than 12V, which indicates it was depleted to begin with, e.g. 11.96V corresponds to about 40% SOC.

The laef uses a 35A-hr (20hr rate) battery which would be about 126,000 Coulombs when full, and 50400 Coul when at 40%. So it was depleted in about 1.3 days.

Water Analogy:
Substitute liters for Coulombs

I think turning on privacy mode also disables it or at least stops data sharing, which for me seems to slow down battery drain. This can be done as follows:

1. Settings >
  2. NissanConnect Services >
  3. Privacy mode >
  4. Turn on privacy mode.

@benjwhite9 Do you have the Nissan Connect app on your phone? And did you use the app to check in on your car while you were away for 8 days?

I am just wondering if it the app that is either refreshing in the background on peoples phones that causes battery drain (for those people that know a drain happens that is) or if is the Nissan Connect in the car itself that is waking up and refreshing?
I do not have the Nissan Connect app, not now nor in the past. Perhaps that is the difference.

Good info and the reason I avoided CARWINGS (or whatever they call it these days)
Its usefulness was limited but I knew that using archaic cellular service was going to be an issue.

I had it on my 2011 SL ONLY because it was the only way to get Chademo as it was not an option on the SV. During that time, I was able to confirm that its convenience was easily approached by other methods.

Good to hear, sometimes too much Tech is just not worth it......creates more trouble that it is expected to fix or eliminate. I threw my Carwings away and installed aftermarket navi + stereo unit, I do get an era code with Consult because of the missing Carwings but I just ignore it......

I'd be sorry to lose EV Connect as I find it really useful to check the state of charge remotely, both planning and during charging. Also in winter to switch in climate control. Hopefully Nissan will come up with a fix which means we don't have to disable it.

I personally will not miss using the Nissan Connect app as it’s use on my current car (2020 Tekna model in the UK) is very stripped down compared to the apps usefulness from my 2018 Tekna….unless I want to pay a monthly subscription for it of course..which I will NOT….so the only things that are free (for me anyway) is getting the state of charge info and the drive efficiency stats.

I am disgusted at the fact Nissan want £2 per month to be able to remotely activate the climate controls of my car, and another £5 per month for the Google maps function.

This is an ongoing problem. Carwings caused similar problems. I believe the real culprit is the keyless entry receiver which is "always on". On my 2011 ZEO I removed the 2G module and fitted an Optima Yellow Top semi deep-cycle coiled plate gel battery and a quick disconnect terminal. The Optima will stand for long periods at less than full charge without damage. The voltage still drops but the car switches on without problem after 5 days. (I could have installed a bigger Optima if I had modified the battery cradle.) I have found if after five days I use a small booster pack and it starts without any error codes. If I go away for more than five days I disconnect the battery. That was two years ago and although the Optima has stood partially discharged most of that time and unintentionally discharged to the point where it will not start the car on three occasions it is now the longest lasting 12v battery I have fitted to the car.

p.s. I could install trickle charger (with a connector under the charge port lid) but don't want the additional trip hazard between the street and the front door.

hi, I'm from Norway and experienced exactly the same problem as you. The battery died 3 times (twice in April and once in May). Every time, when the car was parked for more than 2 days without driving. When I went to the service center, they also disconnected the EV communication system. And they also told me that they don't have a long-term solution to the problem. I was in the service center 3 days ago.

hi, I'm from Norway and experienced exactly the same problem as you. The battery died 3 times (twice in April and once in May). Every time, when the car was parked for more than 2 days without driving. When I went to the service center, they also disconnected the EV communication system. And they also told me that they don't have a long-term solution to the problem. I was in the service center 3 days ago.

Back