2011 vs. 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlestonleafer

Is there any reason not to buy a 2011 for 3k cheaper than a 2012? Both SL's, the 2011 does have the quick charge port, as far as I know, the only thing the 2012 has that the 2011 does not is the cold weather package. I'm in Charleston, SC, and the LEAF will sleep in a garage, so I'm not sure if the Cold weather package would benefit me? Any input is greatly appreciated!

As you've stated, the major differences between the 2012 from the 2011 is the inclusion of the cold weather package as standard, the removal of the VSP-disable button (at least as reported in the USA), the inclusion of the Q/C port as standard on the SL trim, and the price increase.

The cold weather package includes a "battery heater, heated outside mirrors, heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats and an HVAC duct to the rear seating area." Considering the poor, inefficient heating system in the Leaf (i.e. high electricity usage), the cold weather package is a nice addition. However at a nearly $3k price difference compared to a 2011 SL with Q/C, it doesn't seem worth it unless you have some really cold temperatures (e.g. plenty of snow on the ground).

If you're lucky, you might find a 2011 with the CW package. If they had offered it to me as the $950 upgrade when I ordered my 2011 Leaf, I might have considered purchasing the CW package despite being in the SF Bay Area (where we get pretty temperate weather).

Yea, It's pretty warm most of the time here as well, it's only snowed 2 or 3 times in the past decade. Am I wrong to think that pre-heating in a garage could make up for the heater not working so great?

As an alternative, I have a 2011 and I had heated seats installed in the front. I find that when the temp has been in the 40s-50s in the morning I like turning on the seats for 5 minutes. My Leaf is in an insulated garage as well so even if it is 40 outside when I leave, the Leaf is probably at 60 degrees.

If I didn't have the heated seats I may just deal with the cold, or turn on the heater (depending on my driving distance). That being said, I'm glad I have them :)

P.S. It never snows where I live - just morning temps in the 30s (maybe high 20s) in the winter.

charlestonleafer said:
Is there any reason not to buy a 2011 for 3k cheaper than a 2012? Both SL's, the 2011 does have the quick charge port, as far as I know, the only thing the 2012 has that the 2011 does not is the cold weather package. I'm in Charleston, SC, and the LEAF will sleep in a garage, so I'm not sure if the Cold weather package would benefit me? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Where you live, you almost certainly don't need the battery heater that's part of the Cold Weather Package, as it seems that its primary purpose is to keep the battery pack from freezing in subzero (Fahrenheit) temperatures. The heated seats, heated steering wheel, and rear HVAC duct would be nice. But I personally wouldn't pay thousands extra to have them. The other factor might be the higher resale value of a 2012 model, unless you tend to keep cars for a long time. As for me, if I lived in the Southeast, I think I'd have a 2011 orphan shipped to me from either Fontana Nissan ($1K below MSRP) or Mossy Nissan (MSRP) in Southern California.

charlestonleafer said:
Yea, It's pretty warm most of the time here as well, it's only snowed 2 or 3 times in the past decade. Am I wrong to think that pre-heating in a garage could make up for the heater not working so great?
With morning temperatures currently around 40 F (and dropping into the 20s soon) and the car parked outside, preheating has been working great for us.

Pre-heating does a good job at reducing the energy demand. However, when you are at a location where a charger is not available, then the pre-heating function won't exactly help much.

I would jump on the 2011 for lower price. I would not worry about the QC port unless you are certain you would use it frequently.
I ordered my 2011 without, no regrets.

I will post the day I use the cold weather package or the QC option.

As far as I can see I paid an extra $3k for ONE rear AC vent... this pissed me off more than having to wait 14 months for a car!

Give me a sunroof or a motorized rear sunshade that would of been cool

On 1 Nov 2011, garygid posted:
The Battery Heater presumably does not turn on until -4ºF, and then turns off at 14ºF.
I would like to find out more about this.

I am considering the cold pack package but if it doesn't turn on to heat the battery until -4 degrees F,
then I would very seldom if ever use. it.

Can someone expand on this.

A second question would be:
Are there alternative ways to heat the battery than the cold weather package?

TIA :?

jb2leaf said:
On 1 Nov 2011, garygid posted:
The Battery Heater presumably does not turn on until -4ºF, and then turns off at 14ºF.
I would like to find out more about this.

I am considering the cold pack package but if it doesn't turn on to heat the battery until -4 degrees F,
then I would very seldom if ever use. it.

Given where you live, it is true that the battery heater would not likely come on. It's purpose is to protect the battery from freezing in extreme cold (think: parked outside all night in Steamboat Springs or Fraser). One way to keep the battery pack from getting too cold is to park the car in an attached garage that doesn't get down to ambient temperature at night. If that isn't an option, is the expected range you need in winter really a concern? How much range do you need? I'm getting 70+ miles with major elevation change, at speeds of 35-60 mph, but my garage doesn't go below freezing most of the time, so the battery stays at a temperature that doesn't affect range very much. If you park outside, "YMMV".

The real advantage of the cold weather package in moderately cold climates is the heated steering wheel and seats. That can reduce or eliminate much of the use of the cabin heater, which is a big power draw. When stretching the range I just preheat while plugged-in, then use the heated steering wheel and seats. When not stretching the range, the cabin heater works fine.

jb2leaf said:
I am considering the cold pack package but if it doesn't turn on to heat the battery until -4 degrees F, then I would very seldom if ever use. it.

Don't all 2012 Leafs come with the cold weather package standard?

Back