2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Car Pros advertises thousands below MSRP all the time for every vehicle they sell "supposedly" but I know few who have gotten the price advertised. In fact, I know two people who went there and left and bought somewhere else based on them not honoring their ads

DaveinOlyWA said:
Car Pros advertises thousands below MSRP all the time for every vehicle they sell "supposedly" but I know few who have gotten the price advertised. In fact, I know two people who went there and left and bought somewhere else based on them not honoring their ads

No surprise there. Keep us posted!

My partner and I are looking to lease two 2013 model s Leafs on Tues - any concise pointers? I am reading through the forum and appreciate everyone's comments.

Especially interested in VPP and any other options to reduce out of pocket. We are trading in our cars and have each already put $500 down. These are the first of 16 2013 at the dealer and the whole of them are already committed by deposit. Not seemingly a buyers market.

I am beginning to dread the signing experience after reading the posts and my last purchase experience is coming back to me.

I keep repeating "just a car," "just a car..."

tx

maui1 said:
My partner and I are looking to lease two 2013 model s Leafs on Tues - any concise pointers? I am reading through the forum and appreciate everyone's comments.

Especially interested in VPP and any other options to reduce out of pocket. We are trading in our cars and have each already put $500 down. These are the first of 16 2013 at the dealer and the whole of them are already committed by deposit. Not seemingly a buyers market.

I am beginning to dread the signing experience after reading the posts and my last purchase experience is coming back to me.

tx

i would lease. charge to 80% or 90% (manually) park in the shade as much as possible. you are getting two cars, that should get you leverage if you go together.

get fast charge port. as I understand it, you have several in the area. other than that, you will love the feel of EV driving. it is awesome!

Corina1231 said:
Evnow,

Thanks for posting. Based on your comments, it sounded like you might have a seller's market on Leafs in WA state. But when I went online to one Seattle dealers (Car Pros Burien) website and they had a couple dozen new 2013 Leafs in stock, many of which were on sale/lease for $9300 BELOW MSRP ($7500 of which is the Fed Rebate):
There are other dealers honoring VPP in the Seattle area - it is just the nearest dealer who is trying to charge more. They don't have many '13s and that could be the reason.

Anyway, even the advertised price at Burien above is 1,500 above VPP price.

maui1 said:

tx

If you qualify for VPP, and your dealer accepts it, great. It is a good deal and a no-haggle way to lease.

If you don't, then welcome to the negotiation world. I wish that you were here in San Jose where our 2 local local dealer have over 130 Leafs in stock right now. But, even here, the S model is still the scarcest.

As a former New Car Sales Manager and recent Leaf lessee, I highly recommend you don't let the dealer confuse you with all the numbers and minutia. Stay focused on the TOTAL cost of your lease calculated as follows:

Down
PLUS
total of payments
PLUS
disposition fee in Nissan contract ($395).

Tsowens landed the best non-VPP S deal recently. His total outlay was $5200 for a 2 year lease, 15 k a yr. maximum.

A deal close to that $5200 number with those terms would be great!

If all is good so far, go in and make that seal on your S model. Avoid the "bait and switch" to a different car with more dealer expensive dealer added items so you get lost in the new numbers. Politely say "thank you" when your salesperson congratulates you and shakes your hand. Don't sigh of relief or let your guard down now because its not over. That nice finance manager (and they are ALL nice) is about to try to pick your pocket and they are very good at it. Avoid the coffee and sugary doughnuts you are offered and settle on water if you are thirsty and a bathroom break to gather your thoughts while you wait to go into the final battle for your money in the finance office.

Two important things to remember now: first, don't get emotionally attached to the car (or your salesperson, who is your new best friend even though you'll never see her again because she will likely be gone by the next visit you make to the showroom), and second, don't have your partner or anyone else with you in the finance office (so you can walk out easier if necessary, if you know what I mean). Then, if you are a real grinder, when you are in the finance office and the finance manager "surprises" you with the $395 disposition fee at the end of the lease, you say no way and that you never accounted for that number or you would have not agreed to other numbers, and get up to walk out. Your objective is to try to get them to waive the fee like Kumar's friend did in TX or to take the equivalent cost off your down or monthly payment like they agreed to do on my lease. It's only fair! It is nothing but a hidden cost that the didn't tell you about and they are banking that you'll just accept they're explanation that "it is standard in all Nissan Leases". If they then say, "we'll that only applies if you turn the car in and don't buy it or lease or lease another car from us", tell them that is exactly your plan.

Of course, almost everyone just goes along and agrees to it because they or their spouse are emotionally attached to the car (which is why your partner stays outside), think they got a good deal so what the heck (after all, he said it was "standard"), are generally adverse to conflict, are uncomfortable or are not really good or used to negotiating (especially we Americans), would feel bad walking out because the salesperson has worked so hard or maybe you've seen the picture of his kids on his desk (real or borrowed from his sister), or just have just been beaten down by now by the stress or time at the dealership. Believe me, if they let you walk out now you REALLY had the best deal and were leaving nothing on the table!

Most likely, though, they won't let you walk but will offer to split the difference or make it up elsewhere. Be careful, they love to offer you a product or service (like mats or splash guards or a free oil change) which costs them little but they say is of an equivalent cost, in lieu of money. Don't worry if they don't stop you from walking out. If your deal was available then it always will be. They want the sale worse than you do. Just swallow you ego and pride and change your mind, then or later.

Lastly, I recommend you don't buy tints, Simoniz, service packages or anything else that day from that finance manager. Everything is overpriced and remember that's how a good finance manager makes themselves and their boss money. You can always change your mind if you really still want to buy it when you are more composed a week later. But don't expect your salesperson or the same finance manager to greet when you come back! I know you think I'm being facetious, but honest to God neither my salesperson or the sales manager was still at my dealership a month later when I stopped in. Instead, I was asked questions like "Daryll who" and "Nathan who, do you have a last name" by 3-4 other new eager beavers before I could get in the door! Such is the car business - outside of technological advances, it hasn't changed much in 25 years since it was my world.

Best of luck!

Ron

ronwright38 said:
I got my 2013 SL Leaf for $330.00 month at 24 Months and 15 K miles. :roll:

Ronwrigtht38,

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing that. But we need more information for comparison purposes:

How much down (and does the down include 1st month payment?)
How much are our Total of Payments?
How much is the disposition fee at end of lease. (Standard $395 in all Nissan Lease Agreements)

Please make this calculation and total it so we can see what you paid for your lease.

Thanks!
Ron

PS: Did you use VPP pricing?

Corina1231 said:
As to PushPak's and SanDust's correct assertion that you shouldn't lease for more miles than you need, that's never a problem for me. I am a little OCD so it's no surprise I have always turned my cars in with less than 15 miles to the max. OK, I admit it's true that once I drove around a little at the end to get right on the max, but only once, I swear!!!!

PS: PushPak, I like your per mile analysis. Nice job!
That the cost per mile goes down as the miles go up isn't surprising. Going from 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles reduces the residual by something on the order of 4%. With the miles going up by 50% and costs going up by less than 10% it's impossible not to have the cost per mile go down.

Rather than looking for the lowest cost per mile you want to look for the lowest cost, and that means only getting the miles you need. No matter how "cheap" the extra miles are they're not free. If you don't need them it's cheaper not go get them. Note it's much harder to get 15,000 miles on a Leaf than on an ICE or hybrid vehicle. For these cars a small percentage of the driving days can account for a significant number of miles. Taking a trip or two a year to Tahoe can add miles very quickly. With the Leaf this won't happen because it's range limited. For this reason I'd guess most people will put 1K or 2K fewer miles on their Leaf than they would a regular car.

Also note you can buy miles. I haven't looked at the numbers but, if you drive 11K miles, it's probably cheaper to lease for 10K miles and pay the overage than to lease for 12K miles.

SanDust said:
Corina1231 said:
As to PushPak's and SanDust's correct assertion that you shouldn't lease for more miles than you need, that's never a problem for me. I am a little OCD so it's no surprise I have always turned my cars in with less than 15 miles to the max. OK, I admit it's true that once I drove around a little at the end to get right on the max, but only once, I swear!!!!

PS: PushPak, I like your per mile analysis. Nice job!
That the cost per mile goes down as the miles go up isn't surprising. Going from 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles reduces the residual by something on the order of 4%. With the miles going up by 50% and costs going up by less than 10% it's impossible not to have the cost per mile go down.

Rather than looking for the lowest cost per mile you want to look for the lowest cost, and that means only getting the miles you need. No matter how "cheap" the extra miles are they're not free. If you don't need them it's cheaper not go get them. Note it's much harder to get 15,000 miles on a Leaf than on an ICE or hybrid vehicle. For these cars a small percentage of the driving days can account for a significant number of miles. Taking a trip or two a year to Tahoe can add miles very quickly. With the Leaf this won't happen because it's range limited. For this reason I'd guess most people will put 1K or 2K fewer miles on their Leaf than they would a regular car.

Also note you can buy miles. I haven't looked at the numbers but, if you drive 11K miles, it's probably cheaper to lease for 10K miles and pay the overage than to lease for 12K miles.

SanDust makes some good points. The miles do get cheaper. Also, I keep urging my wife to take my Leaf out to run errands instead of our other car on weekends just so I can make my 12k this year. My 12k lease means I need to average 33 miles a day, 7 days a week. My work commute is 24 miles round trip Monday through Friday. I would not benefit from 15k a year. Everyone needs to do their own analysis. For example, if your commute is 50 miles a day, you would certainly want the 15 k. I would rather turn my car in a month early and get a new lease car because I've hit my miles than buy a lease with more than I need.

I forgot - as these were shipped ahead - no options, only base model S 3.3kw charger 2013 $199/mo x 24 mos +$1999 down "deposit (although not returned)". I will ask about the disposition fee. Not feeling like I have much room to negotiate - as it is sort of as is. thanks for the comments.

That price sounds really good. The only thing that would give me pause is lack of a quick charge port.

maui1 said:
I know - but on an island I think that this will work , except for trips to Hana : )
plus - only a two year lease. tx
In that case I would just say make sure there are no hidden fees or extras, then go for it. In 2 years the new LEAF's might even have a bigger battery pack. That would be sweet.

maui1 said:
I forgot - as these were shipped ahead - no options, only base model S 3.3kw charger 2013 $199/mo x 24 mos +$1999 down "deposit (although not returned)". I will ask about the disposition fee. Not feeling like I have much room to negotiate - as it is sort of as is. thanks for the comments.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the cost of this lease is extremely high in relation to other S deals. I know Hawaii is very expensive! Tsowen in CA paid $5200 for his 2013, 24 month lease, 15k per yr. miles. (non-VPP). I wouldn't expect you to get that deal. But you would be paying $7000-$7200 for the same lease (if you indeed get 15k miles a year, not 12k) on the same car, depending on if the first month payment is in included in your down:

$2000 down PLUS ($200 mo. X 23 or 24 mths.) PLUS $395 Nissan contract turn in fee = $7000-$7200.

Your offer equals what others pay to lease the top of the line SL, a car that retails for $6k more. $7000 seems a lot to pay to lease a little EV car with few features for 2 years, even considering the fuel savings.

I hope your offer is for 15k miles a year, not just 12k. If so, maybe you can live with 12k a year a better rate? Best of luck!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Gotta keep the cost of living in mind when determining how good is good here. Hawaii is expensive when it comes to cars
True, Dave. But I certainly would consider and compare other EVs (Ford, Mitsubishi, etc.) before taking that deal, if all all.

I'm new and have also been looking to lease a 2013 S. I'm also in Hawaii but located on Oahu. That lease deal may seem crappy compared to deals that other people are getting on the forum but I'm not sure how much better it can get here on the islands. Not only is there a higher cost of living here but there is also a lack of competition. There are 3 Nissan dealerships on Oahu and I've been to all 3. The 2 "best" lease deals I've been offered is $2995 drive off (includes all fees and first month) $199/month (includes tax) for 24 months and $2995 drive off (includes all fees and first month) $208/month (includes tax) for 36 months. Both are 12k miles. I haven't actually been to the dealership offering the 3 year deal yet (so maybe I can talk him down a bit) but the one offering the 2 year let me walk out when I said that I wasn't interested at that rate. I figure amortizing the $3k drive off over three years would make the lease technically cheaper on a 3 year.

So I wish I could get some of the deals you guys are getting over there but I'm not sure if it can happen here. I'm just trying to get as close to the National Nissan lease deal as possible.

I also went to the Ford dealerships on the island looking at the Focus electric. One dealer wouldn't even honor the national lease special ($2,188 down $249/month) and the other one tried to quote me a ridiculous $430/month. I gave up on the last Ford dealership since I didn't think I'd get anything remotely close to the Leaf rate.

nsainfreek said:
I'm new and have also been looking to lease a 2013 S. I'm also in Hawaii but located on Oahu. That lease deal may seem crappy compared to deals that other people are getting on the forum but I'm not sure how much better it can get here on the islands. Not only is there a higher cost of living here but there is also a lack of competition. There are 3 Nissan dealerships on Oahu and I've been to all 3. The 2 "best" lease deals I've been offered is $2995 drive off (includes all fees and first month) $199/month (includes tax) for 24 months and $2995 drive off (includes all fees and first month) $208/month (includes tax) for 36 months. Both are 12k miles. I haven't actually been to the dealership offering the 3 year deal yet (so maybe I can talk him down a bit) but the one offering the 2 year let me walk out when I said that I wasn't interested at that rate. I figure amortizing the $3k drive off over three years would make the lease technically cheaper on a 3 year.

So I wish I could get some of the deals you guys are getting over there but I'm not sure if it can happen here. I'm just trying to get as close to the National Nissan lease deal as possible.

I also went to the Ford dealerships on the island looking at the Focus electric. One dealer wouldn't even honor the national lease special ($2,188 down $249/month) and the other one tried to quote me a ridiculous $430/month. I gave up on the last Ford dealership since I didn't think I'd get anything remotely close to the Leaf rate.

Thank you for your post. We are spoiled her in CA where we also get the $2500 state rebate on an EV purchase OR a lease of 3 years or longer. My two local dealers each have a combined 140 Leafs in stock as we speak, though less than 20 are S Models. I feel for you guys. That said, I certainly agree with you that your three year lease offer is a bit more attractive. Maybe, you can talk them down a bit. Good Luck!

Back