2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up my 2013 S with no add-ons. I guess there was some room for negotiation at the dealership. I told the dealer I was at that I made an appointment with the other dealer and I wouldn't cancel with them (which was true). So they just kept dropping the price trying to get me to close. I used their offer to leverage the other dealer.

Ended up with $1995 Down including all fees and first month and $175/month after tax for 2 years 12k miles. I think this is a pretty good deal for a Hawaii. Much better than what they were offering before I pitted the dealers against each other. They also left mats and trunk carpet in the car, which was an added plus.

nsainfreek said:
Just picked up my 2013 S with no add-ons. I guess there was some room for negotiation at the dealership. I told the dealer I was at that I made an appointment with the other dealer and I wouldn't cancel with them (which was true). So they just kept dropping the price trying to get me to close. I used their offer to leverage the other dealer.

Ended up with $1995 Down including all fees and first month and $175/month after tax for 2 years 12k miles. I think this is a pretty good deal for a Hawaii. Much better than what they were offering before I pitted the dealers against each other. They also left mats and trunk carpet in the car, which was an added plus.

Sounds like an outstanding deal given what you were being offered earlier. Great job.

cgaydos said:
nsainfreek said:

Sounds like an outstanding deal given what you were being offered earlier. Great job.

$1995 Down, plus 23 more payments @ $175 month ($4125), plus $395 disposition fee = $6420 Cost of Lease. That's $580 less than your original $7000 offer. Sounds like the best anyone can do in Hawaii at this time. And you start saving NOW on fuel. Congratulations! Glad we all could help.

Thanks cgaydos! I wouldn't have gotten this deal if you didn't recommend I email the dealers again. Even though I didn't get a different salesperson, I reconnected with them and when I told them I was going to close on a deal that day they started trying everything to sell me a car. Thanks to everyone on this site for their input. Saved me a lot of money.

cgaydos said:

I'm looking at an SL with the Premium Package (MSRP $37,000) and have been offered a 24-month lease. These numbers do not include tax yet. $291/month plus $1800 down. Plus $395 disposition. Money factor is .00220. They included the $595 acquisition fee in the downpayment/payments. Total cost of lease is $9181.

Or I can purchase it for $35,700, $700 over invoice. (minus $7,500 fed tax credit = $28,200).

Seems like a no-brainer to lease it, given that the car will likely not be worth more than $19k when the lease is up, which is the difference in price between the lease and purchase. I drive about 5k miles a year with my gasoline vehicles so don't plan on coming anywhere friggin' near the mileage on the lease limits.

Is this a fair lease deal for a loaded SL? I'm in Colorado.

So Tacoma, WA's Tacoma Nissan is offering me a lease for $150/month with no money down. See for yourself. It's advertised on their homepage. I hate the thought of leasing but this offer seems too good to pass up. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. Is there any reason to put the 6500 i got for my 06 sentra down on this type of lease deal? I'll have more details when I go talk to them on Friday.

wantonsoup said:
I'm looking at an SL with the Premium Package (MSRP $37,000) and have been offered a 24-month lease. These numbers do not include tax yet. $291/month plus $1800 down. Plus $395 disposition. Money factor is .00220. They included the $595 acquisition fee in the downpayment/payments. Total cost of lease is $9181.

Or I can purchase it for $35,700, $700 over invoice. (minus $7,500 fed tax credit = $28,200).

Seems like a no-brainer to lease it, given that the car will likely not be worth more than $19k when the lease is up, which is the difference in price between the lease and purchase. I drive about 5k miles a year with my gasoline vehicles so don't plan on coming anywhere friggin' near the mileage on the lease limits.

Wonton,
I'm not sure your post is serious, but if it is you would be paying about $1800 too much over the life of the the lease based on other deals out there on an SL. More importantly, why would you spend $7300 to $9300 to lease a Leaf for two years when you only drive 5,000 miles a year? If you are serious, review deals on p. 20 and p. 21 on this thread.

Corina1231 said:
wantonsoup said:

Wonton,
I'm not sure your post is serious, but if it is you would be paying about $1800 too much over the life of the the lease based on other deals out there on an SL. More importantly, why would you spend $7300 to $9300 to lease a Leaf for two years when you only drive 5,000 miles a year? If you are serious, review deals on p. 20 and p. 21 on this thread.

Seems high to me. I know from my own experience in Colorado that dealer offers on leases vary widely here. As always, I suggest emailing the internet departments at all dealers within 100 miles (or even 200) with what you want and ask for their best price - being sure to note you are ready to lease now. However, you may find you're not going to get a great price on an SL just yet - Colorado was one of the last states to start receiving shipments of 2013s (I have no idea why, it just was) and initial shipments were heavy with S models, so there aren't a lot of SLs just yet. If you find they aren't really willing to deal just yet I suggest waiting a couple months when there will be a greater supply.

Please note that in Colorado you are eligible for the state tax credit of $4812 as well. Unlike the Federal credit of $7500 the state credit does not require that you actually have that much tax to pay to get it paid - you'll just get a refund to cover the extra amount.

Also, whereas the Federal tax credit goes to NMAC (Nissan's leasing company) to reduce the price of the lease the state credit does not. If you lease you get a portion of the $4812, based on the difference between the sale price and the residual and what percentage that is of the total sale price - for me in 2012 that was a credit of over $1900.

Finally, if you are driving under 5k/year miles ask if they have a 10k/year lease - I think that option was mentioned to me last year.

pocketweezer writes:
WA's Tacoma Nissan is offering me a lease for $150/month with no money down. See for yourself. It's advertised on their homepage. I hate the thought of leasing but this offer seems too good to pass up. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. Is there any reason to put the 6500 i got for my 06 sentra down on this type of lease deal? I'll have more details when I go talk to them on Friday.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Welcome to this thread. I recommend you get the final numbers on your lease offer (w/TTL), then compare your deal with recent deals. SEE PAGE 20 of this thread for Pushpak's Comparisons. See PAGE 21 of this thread for Evnow's breakdown a good no-haggle VPP lease pricing should you qualify.

Pushpak recommends: If we view a lease as a long term rental, and given that the price of money today is close to zero, then we should simply focus on how much we pay for each mile. However, keep in mind Evnow's correct assertion that cost of miles (cost per mile) naturally decrease when you go from 12k to 15k, but only consider a 15k miles a year lease if will definitely use it all the miles!

Some other considerations we seem to all agree on:
Drive as much as the max allowed and not one mile more.
Understand that certain options may significantly change the cost.
There are generally no other hidden costs unless the dealer throws mats and things into your car at retail price or the finance manager picks your pocket for unnecessary items or services.
You must know TTL to know your true COST of the lease or you can't due a valid comparison.

COST = the TOTAL cost of your lease and is the only number that ultimately matters (other than your term and miles allowed), calculated by ADDING:

Total Down (which includes 1st month)
Plus Total of Remaining Payments (24 x ....mth.)
Plus $395 disposition fee

= net total COST (then compare your total cost to others as summarized on p.20 and p.21)

nsainfreek said:
Thanks cgaydos! I wouldn't have gotten this deal if you didn't recommend I email the dealers again. Even though I didn't get a different salesperson, I reconnected with them and when I told them I was going to close on a deal that day they started trying everything to sell me a car. Thanks to everyone on this site for their input. Saved me a lot of money.

A great example of a key element of bargaining for a new car. You help yourself a lot when the dealer believes that a) you are a real buyer/leaser who is ready to pull the trigger now (not just someone testing the waters), and b) you are actively talking to other dealers about their offers.

I keep seeing posts about paying the $395 disposition fee. The $595 acquisition fee is a given, but my dealer told me that if you lease or buy another car, the DF is waived. It was for me.

LEAFfan said:
I keep seeing posts about paying the $395 disposition fee. The $595 acquisition fee is a given, but my dealer told me that if you lease or buy another car, the DF is waived. It was for me.
Interesting! Was that done at your dealer's discretion or is that a NMAC policy?

LEAFfan said:
Yes, exactly. But I'm assuming I'll pay it as there's no expectation my next car will be a Nissan..

pocketweezer said:
So Tacoma, WA's Tacoma Nissan is offering me a lease for $150/month with no money down. See for yourself. It's advertised on their homepage. I hate the thought of leasing but this offer seems too good to pass up. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. Is there any reason to put the 6500 i got for my 06 sentra down on this type of lease deal? I'll have more details when I go talk to them on Friday.
They only have one at that price. Surely it will be sold by Friday.

wantonsoup said:
LEAFfan said:
Yes, exactly. But I'm assuming I'll pay it as there's no expectation my next car will be a Nissan..
Like wontonsoup, I agree that you should always consider it part of your lease cost on THIS car. Having been a New Car Sales Manager many years ago. we always told people we would waive it if they bought another car from us but in reality we would work the new deal separately and make up for the loss somewhere. It's equivalent to a dealer saying bring this coupon in and show us it up front and we will give you $395 off your purchase of a new vehicle. I think you get the picture.

When I negotiated on my 2012 Leaf SL, I refused to pay the $395 in the finance office and they simply took $11 a month off my monthly payment to bring it down from $236 to $225 to compensate and so I agreed to it. That proved two things to me: 1) I'd left a little $ on the table, and 2) the dispo fee is just another number to negotiate.

When Kumar's friend (previously on this thread) complained of the fee the dealer took it out of the agreement. If you look at the deal, you'll see the dealer was making a fair amount on the buyer and could eat it.

That is why I ultimately only look at the bottom line as to what I agree to pay for the lease deal. I don't care how they spin the numbers.

ITestStuff said:
pocketweezer said:
They only have one at that price. Surely it will be sold by Friday.
I looked at the lease offer. It is designed for you to call them for more information. When you call, they have achieved goal number 1. They may then refer you to their appointment secretary to arrange a visit to see and drive the car, and get more details, which is goal number 2.

Possibilities include the following (not an exclusive list, I've been out of the car business for 20 years!):

1) the car is a demo

2) the quote does not include TTL, etc. (it actually says it doesn't in the small print!)

3) they charge you so much per mile (mileage allowance is conspicuously absent from the ad!)

Call them up. Maybe they'll give you the info over the phone.

Best of luck!

Corina1231 said:
Wonton,
Serious as a heart attack my friend :ugeek:

Regarding the miles, I work from home so 5k/yr is still 15 miles a day without a commute! It's possible I might drive the Leaf more often than our other vehicle with a lease that permits the miles (especially given the whole... NO GAS part :lol:) but I'd be hard stretched to do $10k. Or are you questioning me getting a Leaf at all with my low-mileage lifestyle? I already have the EVSE installed - this train is moving regardless, lol.

So looks like a great deal would be close to VPP (maybe $220/m with the options on this car). I'll see if they can budge from the $291. I'm particular on the color I want and there's only a few in the area right now. And I'm anxious to get the damned car already after waiting a year already.

cgaydos said:
I suggest emailing the internet departments at all dealers within 100 miles (or even 200) with what you want and ask for their best price - being sure to note you are ready to lease now.
The other deals that have the combination I want are Autonation GO dealers and they don't provide email addresses on their websites, nor do they list Internet Managers, it's pretty annoying.

Corina1231 said:
wantonsoup said:
LEAFfan said:
Like wontonsoup, I agree that you should always consider it part of your lease cost on THIS car. Having been a New Car Sales Manager many years ago. we always told people we would waive it if they bought another car from us but in reality we would work the new deal separately and make up for the loss somewhere. It's equivalent to a dealer saying bring this coupon in and show us it up front and we will give you $395 off your purchase of a new vehicle. I think you get the picture.

Maybe they do that there, but mine was waived (told me NMAC does this) and there wasn't any extra add on costs. I had my online lease calculator and it was within a few cents of their figure. So there's no way to know if I will have to pay it on this car until 2015. If I keep leasing a BEV, I will never have to pay it. I would think this is similar at most other dealerships.

surfingslovak said:
LEAFfan said:
Interesting! Was that done at your dealer's discretion or is that a NMAC policy?

I believe he told me that it's NMAC's.

wantonsoup said:
Corina1231 said:
Wonton,
Serious as a heart attack my friend :ugeek:

Regarding the miles, I work from home so 5k/yr is still 15 miles a day without a commute! It's possible I might drive the Leaf more often than our other vehicle with a lease that permits the miles (especially given the whole... NO GAS part :lol:) but I'd be hard stretched to do $10k. Or are you questioning me getting a Leaf at all with my low-mileage lifestyle? I already have the EVSE installed - this train is moving regardless, lol.

So looks like a great deal would be close to VPP (maybe $220/m with the options on this car). I'll see if they can budge from the $291. I'm particular on the color I want and there's only a few in the area right now. And I'm anxious to get the damned car already after waiting a year already.

cgaydos said:
I suggest emailing the internet departments at all dealers within 100 miles (or even 200) with what you want and ask for their best price - being sure to note you are ready to lease now.
The other deals that have the combination I want are Autonation GO dealers and they don't provide email addresses on their websites, nor do they list Internet Managers, it's pretty annoying.

In my experience, it would be a poor financial decision to LEASE a a car when you only drive 5000 miles a year. You would be paying over .90 a mile. A good deal on the SL would be .25 to .30 a mile based on the calculations on page 20 and 21 of this thread. The fact that you are also locked in to a particular color that has been scarce so far (probably the blue), and should roll out in larger numbers soon, perhaps will cause you to pay even more for your dream car.

I understand that you are excited and eager to get a Leaf. If you are patient and wait a little you are likely to make a good decision. Perhaps you might consider a purchase, not a lease, to get the full value out of your transaction.

Back